HAL or Princess--help us decide

neverenoughtravel

Thanks from this first-time cruiser for the help I've received so far in planning our 2008 Alaskan cruise. I'm posting a new topic becuase I'm hoping to get some advice on what cruiseline to choose: HAL or Princess. We're kind of stuck. There will be 8 of us total--me, DH and our kids then 8, 5 and 18 months and my in-laws and their then 17 year-old. We all agree that the choices are Princess and HAL (we want to do Vancouver to Whittier or Seward or the reverse). My DH and I are leaning towards Princess, but I think our in-laws might be inclined to try HAL. What would you recommend for our situation? Some specific concerns that we have are adequate childrens programs and facilities, quality of food and price (is one line likely to be more expensive?). Thanks again for the help!

Seward is a gem for many wonderful activities. Are you planning any interior Alaska touring??? Princess has personal choice, which may be a better option with the kids. Both have good kids programs. I like the HAL smaller ships. I give an edge to the food on HAL, but both good. If price is a concern, then perhaps give that a priority for booking

Yes we do plan to do post-cruise inland touring. I know my in-laws might be concerned about food quality, so I would hate for them to be disappointed if we went on Princess. By contrast childrens programs and facilities are a concern for DH and I. Comparing prices when booking might be tricky since Princess apparently opens their summer 2008 inventory in a couple of weeks and HAL doesn't open theirs until later this summer (so I've read). We want to book as soon as possible to have the widest stateroom selection, especially in the case of Princess where I've read they only have two of their special family staterooms on each ship

(select ships only), if we decide (and can afford) on booking one of those. Generally on comparable itineraries which line is more pricey?

I was doing the waiting game a year ago at this time, and HAL finally started booking Alaska cruises for this summer in late May/early June. HAL was a bit more expensive for a comparable one-way itinerary than Princess. My husband and I will be on the Coral Princess this June for our first trip to Alaska, followed by an independent land trip. Since you are planning to do your land trip post-cruise, the northbound cruise will probably be less expensive than a southbound.

Both HAL and Princess still allow travel agents to discount - so shop around.

Thanks, Nancy. Do you know if southbound cruises are normally more expensive than northbound cruises? So booking through an agent could get me cheaper fares than booking through the lines direct? I also need to determine how each line differs on childrens fares, since that could significantly impact cost.

Thanks, Nancy. Do you know if southbound cruises are normally more expensive than northbound cruises? So booking through an agent could get me cheaper fares than booking through the lines direct? I also need to determine how each line differs on childrens fares, since that could significantly impact cost.

When comparing northbound cruises vs southbound for approximately the same dates, the southbound ones usually start out at a higher price. Rather than a lower price for children, you get a price break on the 3rd and 4th person in the cabin. You'll have to check with Princess/HAL about their charges for a toddler.

At the top of this board there's a link to "Cruise Agencies" (under the picture of the waving people), and I've booked 5 cruises with one of those agencies. I know you can do better pricewise than booking directly with Princess or HAL - at least when booking way in advance.

If you are bringing kids I would stick with Princess. I have done both and their is no comparision. My 11 year old son did not enjoy HAL nearly as much as princess. The kids club activities are not very good and the facilities are not as good. We did princess last summer and it was wonderful. We all enjoyed every minute. We are doing the Island Princess to Alaska this June and can't wait. We just got off a HAL cruise and vowed not to do another until we are at least 65. I know that our cruise was a bit different since it was out of NYC and overcrowded with kids, but the staff and other guests do not make kids feel welcome.

Archived