Child Safety on Board Ship

MemawB.

Hello all, I have a question that I hope doesn't spark a heated debate amongst fellow cruisers. My family is cruising in May for the first time

(yes, its another first time cruising question) and my DD had a question she needed answered about shipboard child safety. We have a 3 year old cruising with us and she wondered about the railings around the ship as to whether they had plexiglass or other restrictive materials around the bottom of the rails to prevent kids from slipping through and falling overboard. We are not the type of people who let their kids run rampant but anyone with toddlers knows that in a split second things happen. As my DD said" My sensible side tells me that safety on board ship is a priority but my mothering side doesn't keep me from worrying about things happening" We have never heard of any children falling overboard so we are relatively sure that prcautions are taken. So any information you have about this will be appreciated.

I've read nearly every posting here in the past 4-5 years about people falling overboard on a ship, and never have they been small children or juveniles. Always young (or not so young) adults, and usually there are other things (drink, crime, goofing off) involved.

There is no more than maybe 3" or so between the rails and their glass extension and the deck, nor more than 3" between sections, so it would be just about impossible for a small child to slip overboard.

I completely understand the concern of the OP and it has nothing to do with parenting skills. Toddlers are quick and unpredictable, you can be standing right next to them, watching them or your hands actually on them and they can still get into trouble.

Although my kids were older when we first cruised (6 and 9) I worried about the same issue. Once you board the ship and see the railing, you will understand why so many people state that it takes work to "fall" off of a cruise ship. The railing is high, it comes up to my chest and I'm 5'6", so no problem with the height. It also bends outward a foot or so, a person would have to climb not only up, but step over the rail (I hope I'm describing this the right way :o ).

If you have a balcony cabin, you might have a bit of concern there. Just make sure the child is never left alone on the balcony and the chairs are not close to the edge. The sliding doors lock, they are not easy to open even for an adult.

Our first cruise was when DS was 3 1/2 (he's turning 6 in 3 weeks). I had the same concerns with safety, and especially the railing issues. But the cruiselines have done a great job concerning everyone's safety. That being said, if the 3 YO traveling with you on the cruise is especially prone to climbing and evading the adult charged with keeping track of him, maybe an extra adult would be helpful. And if he can spend time in the kid's area, they (counselors) are great about keeping them entertained and safe.

The balcony cabins are reasonably safe, as noted above, but do take care with the furniture and door locks.

However, the public areas DO contain open railings that look just like a climbing gym and are very easy for any toddler to slip through, and many parents see the below pictures and opt for the sometimes controversial toddler 'leash' just to be safe if using these areas(click to enlarge):

2237501470036854919pfZWpl_th.jpg

Promenade deck

374942969conWdW_th.jpg

Pool area (see upper railing)

These pictures are from the Carnival Glory, which is the ship the OP will be on.

I don't have any kids,:rolleyes: but I would be worried about this too. Unless they were in my line of vision, I would keep them on those leashes they make for kids. It seems like it is safer, well the times I have seen kids on them at the mall or something!

I have taken my grand daughter when she was just learning to walk. We had an OV cabin.We did not allow her near the open railings for even a moment. Things happen too quickly, that is why they are called accidents. The last cruise was this past Oct, she was 3. We had JS on RCCl and she had to be watched every second when we were on the balcony. She was forever trying to climb onto the chair, table or deck chair to see more ocean. Of course, we told her a zillion times not to climb but she was 3 and excited. The harness strap would make you feel a bit safer but be careful when you purchase one. Some are made with velco and would open easily if the child did have a fall. Just do the usually safety things that you do at home and you will have a great cruise. Both RCCL and Carnival have great children programs. Hope your DD enjoys her cruise.

Archived