front of ship cabins--good or bad exp?

Seayalater

We just got off the Golden (Acapulco to San Fracisco cruise) this past Thursday. We were on the Baja deck, balcony cabin 250...definitely towards the front of the ship.

The last 2 days in particular were very rough seas. From what I noticed, the mid-ships areas were the best to be in. The rear of the ship seemed to vibrate and move (Skywalker's was like being on a combination bumper-car/roller-coaster ride). The front of the ship was more of a fluid motion, but it did have alot.

Never actually had a cabin on any of our previous cruises toward the aft of the ship, but I'd say you might have a smoother ride up front than in back.

You will feel a little more movement in front, but not too much. Midship is the best, and aft is also good. You wont feel as much movement and swaying while aft, but you do feel vibrations. I am taking my GF on her first cruise and I made sure I didnt book the front of the ship. If you dont mind a little motion you will be okay. If there is clear seas, it is the same throughout the ship.

We seem to end up most often in cabins at the front of the ship. Unless the seas are really rough, when the noise from the pounding of the ship can wake you up, we really prefer it - handy to the night's entertainment, and a good walk after meals to work some of them off. Nancy

We were in the front of the ship on our trip to Hawaii and I agree with other posters is their are rough seas it can be very noisy. Also our room was near a door used solely by crew members which they used often in the middle of the night and we were woken up by the door slamming. We prefer aft rooms - you might hear a little engine noise or feel some vibration but it is consistant and can actually lull you. But, just being aboard the cruise ship no matter where you room is works out fine for us:)

I think the difference you'll notice between being forward versus aft is that the motion up front is more up and down, while as you go aft you tend to get more rolling. It really depends on sea conditions and the direction the wind is coming from relative to the ship.

thanks all for the advice. I am hoping the Caribbean waters will be calm as usual, and hey, it'll be a new experince!

Caribbean Princess 6/3-6/10 2007 Eastern

Caribbean Princess 6/28 2004 Eastern

Celebrity Millenium Southern Caribbean 2002

Celebrity Century Western Caribbean 2001

Rob - congratulations on your 10,000th post!

And I never knew that the front of the ship would go up and down while the back went from side to side - maybe there's a hinge that I didn't see? Nancy

If you ever get into rough weather and the ship is moving around quite a bit, take a look down one of those long passageways in the cabin decks from either the fore or aft end and see what the ship is doing. It's pretty amazing - but maybe not a good idea for the faint of heart. :)

We had cabin C102 on the CB last June....you can't get a cabin any more forward. We went through a storm the first evening with heavy winds and rough seas, but I did not notice any excessive motion. I am not prone to seasickness, so what some perceive as the ship rocking, I may not even notice. During that storm, we both were awakened by the thunder and the howling wind, but movement was minimal. That could also have a lot to do with the direction the ship is headed versus the wind and sea direction. On the run back from Cozumel to Ft. Lauderdale, we encountered gale force winds, but again didn't notice much motion in the cabin. The gale force winds were from what eventually became one of the first named storms of last hurricane season.

My personal opinion is that unless you are taking a voyage where heavy seas are the norm, such as around Cape Horn, I wouldn't worry too much about the motion.

My last 4 cruises had cabins forward of the front staircase. I LOVE the forward balcony cabins because I like the motion, the wind, and most of all the sound the water makes as the ship plunges through the waves. Sounds like the beach. There is generally not as much traffic in the forward cabins, so I've found them quieter as far as noise from the hall. I don't mind the extra walk at all - helps keep those extra pounds from creeping on!;)

We were in one of the inside cabins (A205) closest to the bow on the Sun Princess. The motion was considerable the first couple of days when the seas were rough. I did not notice it later on in the cruise. Either it was a lot better or else I finally got my sea legs.

What we enjoyed the most was the balcony area. It was open only during daytime hours, although we did sneak out there early one morning to watch the ship sail into port. The deck plans don't show the doors going to this area. I'm not sure if your ship will have similar access.

Has anyone stayed in the front of ship cabins?

We've always stayed midship or back.

We are on the CB in June Aloha deck.

Thanks!!!

Just off the crown last weekend. We had a cabin on the Lido deck (top deck) As forward as you can get (directly above the bridge) I was concerned after booking that location (motion) since always being mid ship ususally staying on deck 8 or 9. After reading some negative reveiws about that deck, we were pleasantly surprised at how much we LOVED the location. So convenient to the pools, food and bars. Fortunately we had awesome weather last week. We LOVED the Lido Deck and being right at the bridge. (It became our own private deck at the beginning of the cruise until later in the week other passengers figured out how to get there:) ) The motion was very minimal (not any more than any other ship I have been on) With any cruise ship you will get some sort of minimal motion at the least.

On our 4 previous cruises (all Princess) we have been in AA/AB minis midship. On our next cruise on the Coral we are in another AA mini but they are all in the front of the ship for some reason. On our last cruise we actually missed the motion of the ship at night - it makes for great sleeping (I sleep on my side and on our first cruise I was like a fish flopping back and forth - loved it :-). So maybe we'll feel just a bit more of it this time!

A couple of months ago we were in an inside cabin on the Grand all the way forward. It was awful. I get motion sickness very easily but my husband doesn't. I was surprised that even he couldn't stand to be in the cabin for too long. There was so much movement that when we would walk down the hall to the cabin we looked like we were fall down drunk and neither of of drink!

Archived