St. Maarten Questions

I'm not cruising in over a year - but why not!

I have a couple of St. Maarten questions?

1. Has anyone gone to Maho beach (next to the airport) before? How much does a cab to there cost?
  2. Has anyone tried flying Winair from St. Maarten to St. Barts? Would there be enough time? I just want to experience this one day: http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5803284 :D

Thanks,

I've been to Maho Beach. We took a cab, however, we booked the cab for the whole day for $100. He dropped us at Maho so we could watch a few landings, and then came and picked us up later and took us to Orient Beach so we could remove some tan lines.:p

BTW, Watching the flight arrivals is the best!! If you're able to plan it, Saturday and Sundays are best, that's when the 747's come in from France and Holland. But even a weekday will have a couple 767's or A340's. And at the beach bar, topless ladies drink free!:cool:

You have a whole year! Go to the library and pick-up a book on this island! Both Fodor's and Frommer's have wonderful, up-to-date guide books (you can buy one, but at the library, they're free!) that will tell you EVERYTHING you will need to know about EVERY port you may visit!!!!

Cab cost me $20 each way to Maho Beach, wasn't too bad at all. You have to wait until about 3:00 or 4:00 p.m. to see the chartered 747 land. I didn't wait that late. You can get in serious trouble since there is a drawbridge that you have to cross to get back to the ship, and it is scheduled to open every afternoon just in time to really hose you over getting back to the ship.

MahoBeachSt-5.jpg

If you're going to be in St. Thomas, you might want to consider this airline instead, Seaborne Airlines, just click on it to go to their site, I've watched their aircraft take off and land from St. Thomas and San Juan, and I've seriously considered an island hop just to say that I flew in one of their planes. Have fun planning, my wife and I just booked our April 2008 cruise, we're just as obsessed as you.

Cab cost me $20 each way to Maho Beach, wasn't too bad at all. You have to wait until about 3:00 or 4:00 p.m. to see the chartered 747 land. I didn't wait that late. You can get in serious trouble since there is a drawbridge that you have to cross to get back to the ship, and it is scheduled to open every afternoon just in time to really hose you over getting back to the ship.

MahoBeachSt-5.jpg

If you're going to be in St. Thomas, you might want to consider this airline instead, Seaborne Airlines, just click on it to go to their site, I've watched their aircraft take off and land from St. Thomas and San Juan, and I've seriously considered an island hop just to say that I flew in one of their planes. Have fun planning, my wife and I just booked our April 2008 cruise, we're just as obsessed as you.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

One of my friends who is on the Explorer this week will be visiting SXM/TNCM so I'll ask what he did.

Thanks for the Seaborn Airlines link. Nice to see that they have this flying again. Been awhile since I was down to St Croix, but they used to have these gooses flying between the islands all the time and was a great way to get over to St thomas for some shopping. But they were stopped after some years and was no way to do this anymore

Just a word of caution- WinnAir is mad shady. They are a fly by the seat of your pants airline! Your plane will be late, this is a given. Also, don't expect any customer service. At all! Anywhere! At any time! You MUST confirm your return trip at least 5x or they will literally sell your ticket to someone else and just leave your butt there. Whoops, sorry, you didn't confirm it (even if you did!). The good thing is they have a bunch of flights a day and you can get on another flight relatively easily (but at someone else's expense).

The rt flight to St. Bart's for one day was like $200 US for one day I think. It is literally a 9 minute flight.

The only other way to get there is by ferry which takes 2 hours. Do not take the ferry. It is nicknamed the VOMIT COMIT. You will be heave ho'in over the side the whole time. The passage is very rough.

1. Has anyone gone to Maho beach (next to the airport) before? How much does a cab to there cost?
  2. Has anyone tried flying Winair from St. Maarten to St. Barts? Would there be enough time? I just want to experience this one day: http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5803284 :D

Thanks,

make sure you leave to go back with plenty of time. We were stuck in traffic and missed the ship and had to fly to St Thomas the next day.!!! If your at Maho, start heading back at 3 to be safe. Cool beach though.

Thanks,

I've been there, great beach and bar!! Cab is $20 one way. While I didn't fly Winair, I did fly in on a US Airways 757 from Charlotte (missed the ship due to connection problems, flew to St Maarten to catch up). It was definitely cool, the captain slows the plane WAY down, probably doing no more than 150 mph, maybe even less, its like the engines arent even running. You fly over the beach, the wheels hit the ground about a split second later, then the captain hits the brakes as hard as he flippin can!! I videotaped it on my digital, I have no idea how to post it though.

I've been there, great beach and bar!! Cab is $20 one way. While I didn't fly Winair, I did fly in on a US Airways 757 from Charlotte (missed the ship due to connection problems, flew to St Maarten to catch up). It was definitely cool, the captain slows the plane WAY down, probably doing no more than 150 mph, maybe even less, its like the engines arent even running. You fly over the beach, the wheels hit the ground about a split second later, then the captain hits the brakes as hard as he flippin can!! I videotaped it on my digital, I have no idea how to post it though.

The pic he posted is the approach to St. Barts. The approach to both islands from the air is incredible!

There is also a high speed Catamaran that runs between St. Maarten and St. Barths. We took it the last time we docked in St. Maarten. The seas were quite rough on the way over and several folks in our group felt quite queasy. The return trip, however, was smooth as silk. We went over in the morning and came back mid-afternoon and had time for a tour of St. Barths, some time at the beach and lunch before heading back.

There is also a high speed Catamaran that runs between St. Maarten and St. Barths. We took it the last time we docked in St. Maarten. The seas were quite rough on the way over and several folks in our group felt quite queasy. The return trip, however, was smooth as silk. We went over in the morning and came back mid-afternoon and had time for a tour of St. Barths, some time at the beach and lunch before heading back.

That is out of service and is not expected to return to service.

Has anyone gone to Divi Beach on your own? I know it's usually easy to get a taxi at the pier but how difficult is it to get a taxi back from Divi Beach. Also, is there a section that is better than others that we should ask to be taken to?

We took the public bus to Maho when we were there. It cost $1.50 a person. Then caught the bus at Maho to head back to the ship. Like someone else posted, the traffic can be bad so make sure you start to head back to the pier by 2:30 or 3:00.

That is out of service and is not expected to return to service.

Thanks for the information. I was unaware of this development. Despite the rough trip over to St. Barths, it was a good excursion. I am surprised that someone has not made plans to offer something similar.:) Do you know anything about a company called Swaliga which shows that they offer a catamaran excursion from St. Maarten to St. Barths? It is not the company that we used but from their website, one would conclude that they are currently operating.

Archived