Panama Canal Cruise

RichardE954

We're planning a Panama Canal cruise for May 2009. I know its a long time away but its for a special occasion and we want to start planning so we do it right! Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? Any help would be appreciated.

You already realize it's early to be planning for May 2009. I suggest you check out the Panama Canal board here at Cruise Critic. Also read as many of reviews as possible of the different ships and cruise lines. Start narrowing your focus so that you'll be ready to book when Princess or Celebrity or some other cruise line announces its itineraries for 2009.

The types of things you need to decide include do you want a cruise that crosses all the way from the Atlantic to the Pacific or one of the cruises that's roundtrip from Florida, what size ship are you seeking, and are you thinking of a mass market cruise line or an upscale one?

We're planning a Panama Canal cruise for May 2009. I know its a long time away but its for a special occasion and we want to start planning so we do it right! Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey!

I just came back from one, had a great time...but on Celebrity Summit. If you have any questions, let me know, I'll do my best to answer!

We did a San Francisco-Panama RT; had a wonderful time, but if I ever do it again, I'll go all the way through the canal, ocean to ocean. We stayed overnight in Gatun Lake and got to go see a great multi-cultural folklorico presentation (which was terrific!), but ...

Also, we talked to the folks who did the ocean-to-ocean train, and it sounded fun/okay, but I'm glad we did the transit on the boat.

Kristen

My Panama Canal cruise (Miami - San Francisco) was one of the cheapest per day at only $152.00 for a cat 12 balcony on Carnival Elation but it was 17 days and I loved it. The total transit of the canal is the way to go. Then you don't feel cheeted.

Archived