first time cruisers

rabbitneedles

we are taking our first ever cruise on QM2 TA in June, would just like some basic questions answered please.What are the showers like in A grade cabins . Also is it acceptable when dining to order a bottle of wine to last for more than one night ,my husband dosn't drink achohol so a few glasses is enough for me . Finally one for the ladies with evening wear is it warm enough without cover on arms or do you advise shawl or simular:confused:

We drank a bottle of wine over 2 nights on our TA - the sommelier was most charming about it, taking it away at the end of our dinner (Britannia) and returning it the following evening.

Definitely get a light shawl / pashmina. It won't take up much room in the suitcase and I think you'll be glad you did - it'll even come in useful for your flight home!

Can't comment about Grade A cabins .....my alphabet only goes as far as 'D'.

Make sure that you read:

Pepperrn's "Voyage review - repost"

Patwell's "QM2 review...My affair to remember"

They will answer all sorts of questions you didn't even know you had and will really whet your appetite. Get youself a glass of wine and settle down for a good read......:)

we are taking our first ever cruise on QM2 TA in June, would just like some basic questions answered please.What are the showers like in A grade cabins . Also is it acceptable when dining to order a bottle of wine to last for more than one night ,my husband dosn't drink achohol so a few glasses is enough for me . Finally one for the ladies with evening wear is it warm enough without cover on arms or do you advise shawl or simular:confused:

Firstly, you can keep a bottle going - or at least you can on QE2 so it must be possible. They have a very poor selection of half bottles so really must allow it.

Can't comment on the ship itself, but a transatlantic crossing is one of the nicest ways of spending time. Call it a crossing rather than a cruise and you'll appear instantly experienced!

You can always order by the glass - nothing particularly special is available but there is a serviceable Chateau Coufran which (certainly on QE2) is often pushed as the wine of the day. They do a Riesling which is really very acceptable by the glass too - and a Sancerre which is good.

All that assumes that the wine lists are the same on the two ships - which I guess they will be.

Matthew

Firstly, you can keep a bottle going - or at least you can on QE2 so it must be possible. They have a very poor selection of half bottles so really must allow it.

Can't comment on the ship itself, but a transatlantic crossing is one of the nicest ways of spending time. Call it a crossing rather than a cruise and you'll appear instantly experienced!

You can always order by the glass - nothing particularly special is available but there is a serviceable Chateau Coufran which (certainly on QE2) is often pushed as the wine of the day. They do a Riesling which is really very acceptable by the glass too - and a Sancerre which is good.

All that assumes that the wine lists are the same on the two ships - which I guess they will be.

Matthew

What I tend to do, if the second night is a formal night, is order by the glass on the first night, so that I can order a bottle at the formal that 'goes' with the meal (well thats the theory - I tend to get into a bit of a rut once I find a wine I like and just keep ordering it:D ) and that will then carry over for the next night (I travel solo). I don't tend to bother re the other formals, if its not bottle ordering night, I just drink what I ordered the previous night :)

Though, perhaps, as I drink red wine, it would actually be better to order a bottle on the first night, so that by the time of the formal, the wine has had time to breathe:)

Karen

Just for your information: Actually the wine lists are not the same on the two ships. I found the selection of European wines broader and better on the QE2 while there were more over-seas options on the QM2.

Hopefully only an exception was the situation I encountered on the QM2 as most of my wine choices were not available and the "sommelier" always tried to steer me to American wines I did not want.

Rabbitneedles....As the others have said, don't worry about buying a bottle of wine. MY husband did and for 2 nights it arrived at our table as we did.

I think you'll be comfortable having a shawl in the evening. I never found the public rooms cold, but I did like having a shawl handy. Awjat a treat you're in for...she's an amazing ship! Enjoy...

Cheers, Penny

Penny's Affair to Remember QM2 review....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Just for your information: Actually the wine lists are not the same on the two ships. I found the selection of European wines broader and better on the QE2 while there were more over-seas options on the QM2.

Hopefully only an exception was the situation I encountered on the QM2 as most of my wine choices were not available and the "sommelier" always tried to steer me to American wines I did not want.

Okay.

Well, actually not okay. The QE2 list is contracting - no Eiswein for a start (Old or New World). They still have some good French wine - Italian looks limited and I can't recall much decent in the way of German.

I'm really not interested in American and/or Australian.

Matthew

No problem carrying the bottle over until next night, the wine waiter will take care of it.

Also you can order wine by the glass. A good idea as you can match your wine to your menu choice.

You will have a wonderful time.

David

Okay.

Well, actually not okay. The QE2 list is contracting - no Eiswein for a start (Old or New World). They still have some good French wine - Italian looks limited and I can't recall much decent in the way of German.

I'm really not interested in American and/or Australian.

Matthew

You are just so right. It tells a lot when for example 19 different Californian Chardonnays alone are listed but only three whites form the Loire and six German wines in total

If I remember right there was an "ice wine" from the States on the list on the QM2 yet not a real one but made from grapes treated in a freezer ...

The German wines listed are for the most part a reflection of what German wines were infamous for ten or twenty years ago.

rabbitneedles, sorry for this excursion. Like so many other posters I can only assure you that the sommelier will be happy to keep the bottle for you (or two or three - like a white and a red or a second red if the choice of the previous day does not fit to today's menu). You can also preorder your red wine and have it uncorked if you like so after checking the evening's menu at lunch.

You are just so right. It tells a lot when for example 19 different Californian Chardonnays alone are listed but only three whites form the Loire and six German wines in total

If I remember right there was an "ice wine" from the States on the list on the QM2 yet not a real one but made from grapes treated in a freezer ...

The German wines listed are for the most part a reflection of what German wines were infamous for ten or twenty years ago.

rabbitneedles, sorry for this excursion. Like so many other posters I can only assure you that the sommelier will be happy to keep the bottle for you (or two or three - like a white and a red or a second red if the choice of the previous day does not fit to today's menu). You can also preorder your red wine and have it uncorked if you like so after checking the evening's menu at lunch.

There were more wines on the list when we were aboard in January. I recall one from Italy and another from Spain that were notable. But, as these two posts show, not everyone is happy with the wines available. I think it all comes down to what you are interested in. And do you like to try new wines.

That said, why not ask if you can bring aboard your favorite wine? Or, send it ahead in your White Star luggage?

Personally, I like the by-the-glass approach because I do not drink very much and because it gives me a chance to try wine I would not otherwise buy. I would probably NOT try a German wine (I like Germany and germans, but do they make good wine???) otherwise. So, it is a nice way to go.

I would probably NOT try a German wine (I like Germany and germans, but do they make good wine???) otherwise.

German wine can be superb. Some of the light rieslings are gorgeous, especially as a pre-prandial.

Eiswein is truly special, and those who prefer heavier desert wines can always try trockenbeerenauslese. Neither will ever be the equal of D'Yquem, but, frankly, is any wine?

On the other hand, the dreadful Germans wines are dreadful in a very through way. Wines like Blue Nun belong with Pol Acker - down a drain.

Don't judge until you've tried a good one. Or three!

Matthew

German wine can be superb. Some of the light rieslings are gorgeous, especially as a pre-prandial.

Eiswein is truly special, and those who prefer heavier desert wines can always try trockenbeerenauslese. Neither will ever be the equal of D'Yquem, but, frankly, is any wine?

On the other hand, the dreadful Germans wines are dreadful in a very through way. Wines like Blue Nun belong with Pol Acker - down a drain.

Don't judge until you've tried a good one. Or three!

Matthew

Exactly (to include pouring the Pol Acker over the side)!

I'm not familiar with those wines, but I'll be sure to ask for a glass with dinner, tho I would not have ordered a bottle.

I remember laughing when I first heard that there were excellent wines from Autralia and wondering when someone said the BEST wines were now from Chile. I suppose that's the same reaction "the world" had when wines from California (and even Virginia) came on the scene.

Note to self - ask Emilia for a German wine.

Personally, I like the by-the-glass approach because I do not drink very much and because it gives me a chance to try wine I would not otherwise buy. I would probably NOT try a German wine (I like Germany and germans, but do they make good wine???) otherwise. So, it is a nice way to go.

Hans Fischer Piesporter circa 1970 some of the best wine I have ever had.

There are good German wines and bad ones. I thought I didn't like Chianti (after drinking the cheap stuff when my parents would let us have a small glass as a kid) Just srted drinking some and realized I liked it!

Saying there are no good German wines is as silly as saying there are no good Germans (or Brits or Americans) Unless you have treid every sinlge one of them! ((Or you just don't like wine!)

Karie,

No more wining! <G>

Hans Fischer Piesporter circa 1970 some of the best wine I have ever had.

There are good German wines and bad ones. I thought I didn't like Chianti (after drinking the cheap stuff when my parents would let us have a small glass as a kid) Just srted drinking some and realized I liked it!

Karie,

No more wining! <G>

You do realize, though, that admitting to liking Chianti clearly exposes us as tasteless cave-dwellers? :)

I do like other red wines (you can keep the white stuff, thanks), but I always find myself asking for Chianti if I know it is available (unless the food is "subtle"). And if I ask for a pinot, I ask for the "bad stuff, you know, like Chianti." Gets a good nose-crinkle every time from the well-trained wine steward.

Of course, you can pretend you drink it "just to get that neat bottle. We use them to hold candles, you know." But how many hundreds of those do you really need?

I think I'd probably like Thunderbird if I had the nerve to try it. Tho I don't think I could live with the shame of having to admit that if it were the case. :)

>There are good German wines

Yes there are.....but I personally think they are best at lunch time or by the glass with an appetizer ;)

>Hans Fischer Piesporter circa 1970

Karie, when did you drink that? A Piesporter? or was it a Nierstein Riesling? I assume it was at least 15 years ago :confused:

>You do realize, though, that admitting to liking Chianti clearly exposes us as tasteless cave-dwellers? :)

What??? You are joking I hope? There are many fine Chianti's.....no one should feel that way about a good Chianti :p

>I think I'd probably like Thunderbird if I had the nerve to try it.

I've tried it.....and I have to say....there are worse choices out there! :) Think California........!!

tasteless cave-dwellers?

(beating chest)

Goes well with Mastodon, though, doncha think?

And if I ask for a pinot

I would be pretending I have a clue what a pinot is!

I am not a wine person by any stretch of the imgination. In fact, I am very careful with wine. I have had a wine nearly send me to the emergency room. I had the very same "make model and year" a week earlier and was fine. The second bottle had me gasping for breath. Three nebulizer treatments finally got me breathing. I am not big on whites (other than champagne or other "Sparkling" wine.- BTW, If you want a good cheap champagne, St Hilaire is GREAT at under 10 dollars some places. Even Robert Parker brags on it. No, not my Dad, the wine connoiseur, Robert Parker.)

Anyway, I don't know grapes, regions, or anything. I just know when I like something and when I don't! I've had some Australians, Chileans, and others. A Chiraz-Cabernet, Merlot, Maybe a Beaujolais, Bordeaux? (I'm not sure about that one.I mix them up)

I prefer dry- In fact,. very dry. I HATE soda pop wines. (Like Asti- Ugh! I'd rather drink Kool-aid!)

I think I'd probably like Thunderbird if I had the nerve to try it. Tho I don't think I could live with the shame

Okay, I admit it- Boone's Farm- 1972- But NOT the Apple. Strawberry Hill very cloying (Who cares when you're just eighteen!) The Wild Grape one was okay. There's always Ripple (Which I have not tried ) and good old Mad Dog 20/20 (Mogen David- known as Maddog- probably for what it made the average teenager sneaking Mom and Dad's table wine!) Worst stuff I think I ever had (besides Asti Spumante, of course!) was something called Cold Bear-which was supposed to be a cheap rip-off of Cold Duck. We drove a few miles up to Georgia where the age was 18. It was still 21 in Florida. Again, I was just 18, Had driven my fiance to Jacksonville to be mustered in to the U.S. Airforce, (driving my Dad's Chrysler Imperial or New Yorker, I forget- dinged it trying to get into a tight underground garage parking space at the hotel- hit one of those ubiquitous concrete posts) AH, the memories!

Hans Fischer Piesporter circa 1970

Karie, when did you drink that? A Piesporter? or was it a Nierstein Riesling? I assume it was at least 15 years ago

Um, Well, I picked it up in college at the local packy in Knoxville Tennessee (Package Store, if that is not a term used elsewhere) Great wine. Then went over to a friend's house. His dad was the Commander of the Oak Ridge CAP squadron, and also the president of the county wine-tasting association. He was green with envy when he saw what I brought and wanted to know where I bought it! Apparently I must have gotten the last bottle anywhere! (I still have the bottle- empty, of course! in my basement!!) This was in 1972 I think. I take it Piesporters are no longer de rigeur, or maybe Hans Fischer no longer imports? I've tried Rieslings and they did not do anything for me!

Maybe this Piesporter was a mythical wine!

Like I said! I am no oenologist!

Karie,

Not a wino!

Tequila-o, Gin-o, but not a wino!

The showers are smallish but nice. Plenty of water pressure.

I think I'd probably like Thunderbird if I had the nerve to try it. Tho I don't think I could live with the shame of having to admit that if it were the case. :)

I did not know Thunderbird was still around. They used to have a commercial on the New York radio stations in the 50's "What's the word? - Thunderbird"

If memory serves, there was another primo wine that went right along with Thunderbird. It was called Gypsy Rose. Both of them were highly favored in the half pint bottle by our finer citizens of the day. Very high sugar content for instant results. Never tried either but I can still remember the commercials.

Karie,

Did they have drive-thru windows on the liquor stores in Tennessee? They used to have them in Kentucky when I lived there. :p

None that I remember,

But I understand they are popular in New Orleans!

There is one (strangely, where there are still Blue Laws) in Connecticut! There are also a couple of dry towns.

Once bought beer in Kentucly before realizing why it was so hard to get it (go down the road to such and such place, go around the back, go through the glass double door, then you'll see a cold fridge. Get your beer and bring it out to the bait and tackle guy....) We were obvioulsy in a dry county!

Karie,

who marvels at such things!

None that I remember,

But I understand they are popular in New Orleans!

There is one (strangely, where there are still Blue Laws) in Connecticut! There are also a couple of dry towns.

Once bought beer in Kentucly before realizing why it was so hard to get it (go down the road to such and such place, go around the back, go through the glass double door, then you'll see a cold fridge. Get your beer and bring it out to the bait and tackle guy....) We were obvioulsy in a dry county!

Karie,

who marvels at such things!

No way! In Connecticut? My, that would be worth a road trip, because no one here believes there is such a thing.

Dry county=?? Perhaps it was so they didn't interfere with the moonshine business. Heh.

No way! In Connecticut? My, that would be worth a road trip, because no one here believes there is such a thing.

Dry county=?? Perhaps it was so they didn't interfere with the moonshine business. Heh.

Don't laugh! Jack Daniels is made in a dry county!

Don't know who does their QA- Quality Assurance, AKA taste testing! <G>

Karie,

not dry at all tonight. Marc made me a wonderfcul mojito with fresh mint!

Archived