first time cruisers

rabbitneedles

Don't laugh! Jack Daniels is made in a dry county!

Don't know who does their QA- Quality Assurance, AKA taste testing! <G>

Karie,

not dry at all tonight. Marc made me a wonderfcul mojito with fresh mint!

I did indeed know that about Jack Daniels. I swear, the people who made these laws must have been drunk at the time!

West Indies rum here (Pussers). I've become a rum fan since I discovered how much better non-Bacardi rum can be. Rum=yum--coincidence? I think not.

I did indeed know that about Jack Daniels. I swear, the people who made these laws must have been drunk at the time!

West Indies rum here (Pussers). I've become a rum fan since I discovered how much better non-Bacardi rum can be. Rum=yum--coincidence? I think not.

Or Bacardi when you buy the GOOD stuff right there in Puerto Rico!

I suppose it was better when it was made in Cuba. You know they have a trademark lawsuit all ready to file in US courts in the event that relations are finally opened with the US. They claim that the Bacardi family stole the trademark and fled to Puerto Rico. OIf course the Bacardi family may somehow think that just because they owned it and made the recipes and brought them over from the old country long before the revolution that they are somehow entitled to them! <G>

But pussers- Yeah, that'll whet your whistle. Got my first taste of the offishul grog o' the British Crown Royal Navy in Tortola!

Cruzan rum from St Croix isn't bad either. I have some Barbadian rum sitting here, along with a few bottles of Tortuga Rhum from Grand Cayman (Which is actually distilled in Jamaica) Yep. I have nmy share of good tequilas and good rhums! not to mention a few good gins! (Magellan is the current favorite. Bombauy Sapphire is second) Oh, by the way, I also like a good Cachaca- It's made from cane sugar NOT molasses! Its the official alcohol of Brazil, good for making Caipirinhas! mmm!

Karie,

Nah- Me? I don't drink any more.

Course I don't drink any less!

There are also a couple of dry towns.

Only a couple? I'm thinking of places like Bournville (in the news recently) or New Earswick (Near here) in this country that are still dry. (Not forgetting some of the remoter areas of Scotland):)

What is "Thunderbird"?

Best you remain in the dark on this brand. Not something the Amewrican wine industry wants to champion. Basically a fortifide beverage for those who need such a beverage to keep going when the going gets tough. and no I do not know what it tastes like.

I'd be interested in trying it though. I've just checked and I can find UK suppliers of the other wines they produce but not Thunderbird - I wonder why?:)

If we should happen to meet on a sailing at some time I will explain it. Not going into a rather non PC answer here. Although your UK supplier may be willing to offer up the answer.

I'd be interested in trying it though. I've just checked and I can find UK suppliers of the other wines they produce but not Thunderbird - I wonder why?:)

Malcolm, usually drunk directly out of the bottle, covered in a paper bag which has been twisted around the neck so as to conceal the fact that one might be drinking in a public place. (Not that one could tell from the drinker's demeanor! <G>) Then shoved into a back pocket- Unless consumed fully in one full long gulp. Also equates to those who thusly drink sickly sweet fruit flavored Brandys (Mr. Boston is a well-known cheap brand) or a libation called "Four Roses"

Sometimes consumed by those on the lower end of the socio-economic scale who have, shall we say, more leisure time than most.

Karie,

who has never had Thunderbird OR Four Roses, but has occasionally mixed Mr. Boston with something- They also make mixers and such.

Malcolm, usually drunk directly out of the bottle, covered in a paper bag which has been twisted around the neck so as to conceal the fact that one might be drinking in a public place. (Not that one could tell from the drinker's demeanor! <G>) Then shoved into a back pocket- Unless consumed fully in one full long gulp. Also equates to those who thusly drink sickly sweet fruit flavored Brandys (Mr. Boston is a well-known cheap brand) or a libation called "Four Roses"

Sometimes consumed by those on the lower end of the socio-economic scale who have, shall we say, more leisure time than most.

Karie,

who has never had Thunderbird OR Four Roses, but has occasionally mixed Mr. Boston with something- They also make mixers and such.

Thank you for going where I dared not tread.

Or Bacardi when you buy the GOOD stuff right there in Puerto Rico!

I suppose it was better when it was made in Cuba. You know they have a trademark lawsuit all ready to file in US courts in the event that relations are finally opened with the US. They claim that the Bacardi family stole the trademark and fled to Puerto Rico. OIf course the Bacardi family may somehow think that just because they owned it and made the recipes and brought them over from the old country long before the revolution that they are somehow entitled to them! <G>

But pussers- Yeah, that'll whet your whistle. Got my first taste of the offishul grog o' the British Crown Royal Navy in Tortola!

Cruzan rum from St Croix isn't bad either. I have some Barbadian rum sitting here, along with a few bottles of Tortuga Rhum from Grand Cayman (Which is actually distilled in Jamaica) Yep. I have nmy share of good tequilas and good rhums! not to mention a few good gins! (Magellan is the current favorite. Bombauy Sapphire is second) Oh, by the way, I also like a good Cachaca- It's made from cane sugar NOT molasses! Its the official alcohol of Brazil, good for making Caipirinhas! mmm!

Karie,

Nah- Me? I don't drink any more.

Course I don't drink any less!

Caipirinhas is on my cocktail list when the mint grows in. They've got some proper stuff at the local store, so after the (Kentucky Derby) mint juleps, it's caipirinha time!

I had some Barbados rum, too, after I finished the bottle we brought from Tortola. The Pussers is good for taking away the sting of not being able to get rum right from the source.

Perhaps since one of my boys is already the Minister of Rum, I can be the Minister of Grog? :p

Thank you for going where I dared not tread.

No idea why I know this:

"Noses are red, violets are pink, pass the Four Roses, I need a drink!"

Anyone else here ever had any moonshine? White lightning?

Malcolm--to save you the trouble--imagine an alcohol-based jet fuel. Mmm, tasty!

Malcolm, Thunderbird is available in the UK.....our local Spar shop used to sell it!! You probably won't find it at a fine wine merchant, you have a great chance at a Spar shop, local independent off-license or somewhere like kwikSave :eek:.

Thunderbird in the UK used to be popular with the young ladies who typically dated guys that preferred Carlsberg Special brew. I wonder if they stock it on "The Fun Ships" at Spring Break? :D

Well, I told you about getting beer in a dry county (unknowingly) I went to University of Tennessee (Where did your brothers go, Songanddance?) in the early 70's. I knew where to get it, but wouldn't touch it. You just never know- But by then, they would sell ya PGA- nope- nothing to do with golf! Pure Grain Alcohol. Nasty stuff, and jet fuels is about what it tastes like Marc once distilled something to try to use as car fuel- Back in the 70's gas shortages. Cost too much to make and a major pain in the ...

I have brewed my own beer. Pretty good, too, if I must say so myself!

The bottle I found tucked down beside my filing cabinet was Myers Dark. I also like Cabana Boy- It comes in flavors like Wild cherry and French Vanilla and such. Oh it's not that it's such great rum. But next time you're in a fairly good sized package store, pick up the bottle and look through it to the inside of the back label! You'll see what I mean! <G>

I do have some Single Barrel Estate Rum from Cruzan. Also some Bacardi Black, which was not sold on the mainland at the time I bought it. Of course I also have some Don Julio Tequila, Some Centenario, Cabo Wabo (Which is actually pretty good, and 100 % agave) some Milagro. Sipping tequilas and rums, then I have the cheap stuff to make Margaritas with. I bought some Leblon Cachaca last time we were in New Hampshire liquor store.

And I could write a book about some of the great creamed sipping stuff- Like limoncello, (sorry, I just had to go get some...where was I? <G>) Amirula, Cassis, Pear William, Bailey's chocolate mint Irish cream, some pistachio ponche I bought in Curacao last year (good for ice cream) Baja Tango (tequila mixed with orange cream)

Hmm, Sorry, Gotta go! Need to sip some stuff! <G>

Karie,

who doesn't really drink that much! Honest!

Archived