NY Times Onboard?

Hblanton

I have seen samples of the compressed, but full versions of newspapers that you can buy onboard for about $5 per. They have about 20 titles listed, including the LA Times, USA Today and the WSJ. I know the system they use can also do the NY Times, but it isn't listed in the Butler request list. Does anyone know if it is actually available, and if not, why in heavens name is that the case?

The idea of reading the full NY Times mid-atlantic is oddly exciting to me. So connected but so far away.

For those of you who haven't seen this, it is a really cool technology that lets ships, hotels, etc. print one off copies at about 50% original size the entire newspaper on paper somewhat larger than standard legal. It includes all the content, all the ads, all the pictures, etc. I had the provider send me a couple of samples, and was really blown away by it.

Since the newstand price of the WSJ has jumped to $1.50, the $5 for a copy en route seems not all that unreasonable. Maybe I can even find someone to split a couple of subscriptions with!

We got the WSJ on the first leg of the WC as Platinum cruisers( gold and above get the papers complimentary ). I believe the NY Times was also available.

The New York Times is NOT available onboard. The company that provides this service has no contract with the NYT for reasons unknown. It's been like that for a few years now. They keep saying they are working on it but as recently as January it was still not available through that vendor.

Archived