NCL and ID required

BLONDIE35

For those women who are married, isa drivers license and birth certificate sufficient for NCL to get on board? My birth name is different form my married name so do I need a marriage license?? I had to send in my original marriage license with my passport to get my name changed and of course it won't be here in time for the cruise so therefore I only have a drivers license with my married name and birth certificate with my maiden name. will these two documents be sufficient??:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

thanks for all of your help!!!

Have been on a dozen cruises with BC and drivers license and no problem. Have never needed marriage certificate. I have a passport now which makes it so much easier. My daughter just married recently and she took her marriage certificate on the last cruise just to be on the safe side. Had applied for passport but she hadn't gotten it. They never asked for her marriage certificate.

I think there are situations where it is required. Sometimes newleyweds will make the booking in the 'new name' and the bride hasn't changed her drivers license. I believe marriage certificate would be needed in a situation such as that.

You'll be fine. Have fun!:D

Take your marriage license with you just to be on the safe side. Was talking to a RCCL rep when I was booking for a client and was told that they randomly choose people. It might only be a couple of people per cruise, but if they ask and you don't have it, they can deny boarding

Take your marriage license with you just to be on the safe side. Was talking to a RCCL rep when I was booking for a client and was told that they randomly choose people. It might only be a couple of people per cruise, but if they ask and you don't have it, they can deny boarding

I suppose they could, and not to argue your point as it is always better to be safe than sorry, but I wouldn't even know where to find my marriage certificate. So I guess I've been lucky that I haven't been the 'chosen' one to randomly pick. However, if I were put in that position, I would surely demand that if they were going to check mine and deny boarding, that they would have to check ALL people.:eek: Including bringing back the ones that had already boarded.

Again, not to argue your point, just commenting that this doesn't seem fair at all for them to do. If it's going to be a requirement, it should be a requirement for all and not a 'random' few. I obtained my passport without having to 'prove' marriage, so I wonder why a cruise line would have a need to even go this extra step at all?

I suppose they could, and not to argue your point as it is always better to be safe than sorry, but I wouldn't even know where to find my marriage certificate. So I guess I've been lucky that I haven't been the 'chosen' one to randomly pick. However, if I were put in that position, I would surely demand that if they were going to check mine and deny boarding, that they would have to check ALL people.:eek: Including bringing back the ones that had already boarded.

You know, this is exactly how I feel about having to prove I have the right to travel with my own kids. If I have to produce a note from their father who they see approximately 15 days of the year at most, then everyone with kids should have to produce a note from grandma or someone saying it's just fine and dandy for parents to take their own kids on vacation.

Although I've never been asked for it (and most women report the same), there have been times when members report that they were required to show their marriage (or divorce) certificate as a paper trail proving their name change.

But here's the bottom line. It doesn't matter what has or hasn't happened to me or anyone else. The only thing that matters is that the US Immigrations website says that Immigration officers can require anyone entering or re-entering the US to prove a name change. What good will it do that one women who is required to show her marriage certificate, if her only response is to say, "But my fellow Cruise Critic members said they've never been asked for it and that I wouldn't need it!" Not much help there, I'm afraid.

IMO, it's better to bring that one little piece of paper and not need it, then to not bring it and be denied boarding, entry to another country, or re-entry to the US.

beachchick

I was told by officials that you do not need your marriage license if you have a government issued ID, driver's license, state issued ID, etc with your married name. He explained that since I had to present my marriage certificate to obtain the government or state issued ID in my married name in the first place, the "paper trail" was already established..

I do recall having to provide an SS card with my maiden name and birth certificate AND my marriage license to get my drivers license when I moved to NY a few years back. It seemed like a lot of documentation compared to other times I have had to get new driver's license, but now I understand why.

I was told by officials that you do not need your marriage license if you have a government issued ID, driver's license, state issued ID, etc with your married name. He explained that since I had to present my marriage certificate to obtain the government or state issued ID in my married name in the first place, the "paper trail" was already established..

I do recall having to provide an SS card with my maiden name and birth certificate AND my marriage license to get my drivers license when I moved to NY a few years back. It seemed like a lot of documentation compared to other times I have had to get new driver's license, but now I understand why.

I'm sorry but this is not correct. Although you certainly have established a paper trail when you actually got your DL in your married name (by using BC and marriage certificate), the US Immigration officer looking at your BC (with no picture, just the birth info) and your DL (with current name and picture) has no way of knowing if you are in fact the person listed on the BC--because that has your birth name. The only way to prove your name change (if by some weird chance you are the one in a thousand required to do so) is to have the actual paper trail with you. Your DL will certainly show who you are, but you could have picked up that BC anywhere. The point is that the Immigration officer isn't required to take your word for it that you are presenting your own BC as ID. He wasn't there when you applied for the new DL; he hasn't seen the paper trail. And it is very specific on the website that this kind of documentation can be (not will be) required.

beachchick

Do you really think it would be that easy to "pick up" a birth certificate anywhere with the exact same birthdate as on my drivers license AND the same first name?

Wow, if that is the case, I want a new one saying I was born 15 yrs later! LOL...I'd much rather be 25 than 40!

BTW, to order an official copy of my birth certificate from the state of NY, I had to use a credit/debit card that reflected the same first name as the one on the BC as the minumum requirement or my MOM had to order it for me.

I am only relaying what the IMMIGRATION OFFICER told me on my last cruise a year ago.

Really! It will be 40 years in January and I still check mine every year looking for the expiration date! ;)

I thought I found the expiration date on mine, but on second inspection it was my fishing license ;)

-Monte

Really! It will be 40 years in January and I still check mine every year looking for the expiration date! ;)

But to be fair and perfectly honest, I hope I expire before it does!

This whole ID thing can get rather crazy.

Do you know that people have had problems flying because their Drivers Lic expired? did the person and their identify expire, or just the right to drive?

What a silly world we live in.

And to those forms saying you can travel with your kids (split parents)... anyone can fill those out. And the whole idea of a notary seal is even sillier. It only attests that the person signing it, is in fact the person signing it, or at least some kind of ID that looks like that person. It has no proof if they are legally able to sign it, nor does it prevent someone from adding addtional text to the document after the seal is affixed.

Silly, silly, silly.

Archived