Mariner: breakfast in the dining room?

Just wondering if the dining room is open for breakfast, and if so, are there seating times, or is it open? Also, are shorts allowed at that time?

We were left with a late seating option for dinner (booked last minute), and with our three kids, unless we can change the seating, probably won't eat in the dining room that often (we are also not participating in "formal nights", as we are in total casual mode for this vacation!). I can't see the kids waiting until 8:30 for dinner, and then sitting for two hours. My DH and I may go a couple of times, but I really hate eating that late too.

Thanks for any info!

Karen

breakfast is open seating and you can wear shorts. i belive the times were from 7:30-9:30 ish. the windjammer buffet is also available and very good. It was fun to try some Asian breakfast foods at Jade too. You may be suprised the kids may have a pizza at 6 then dinner with you?!:rolleyes:

When you arrive on the ship, go directly to the dining room and speak to the maitre-d and put in your request for changing your seating. Sometimes they do it right away, but most of the time, it will be changed by the second day. If you do not get your seating changed, you can grab a snack in Windjammer or the Promenade Cafe at 6pm or so, and then eat at your regularly scheduled time. Dinner in the dining room is an event, and often one of the highlights of the trip. (PS: Don't let the fashion police turn you off to formal night - no one will notice if you show up to dinner in a simple outfit for women or just dockers and a dress shirt with or without tie for men.)

Agree with DonnaK about getting your time changed. :) The dining room is a nice experience and worthwhile. Also, the "2 hour dining" may be overkill. Although it does happen to some people depending upon their location, waiter, etc., many people are finished in just over an hour.

By the way, breakfast in the dining room was nice, but we were put at a table with strangers. (Not a bad thing, but there will be different people every day so you don't get to know them very well.) With your family of 5 (I assume?), then you may have your own table at breakfast.

Have a GREAT cruise!

As others have said, breakfast is offered every day in the dining room (even on debarkation day). Hours are listed in the Compass. It is always casual (shorts, but no swimsuits or coverups) and you are seated with others unless you specifically request your own table.

On a side note, I've never been impressed with breakfast in the dining room on RC ships, but it's worth trying at least once to see if you like it. :)

Yeah, I don't know why RCCL won't change the seating times until you actually get on board when you're traveling with kids.

We sailed myself, DH, my aunt, my cousin, and my 13 month old DD, and they gave us late seating.

Granted, we only booked about 2 months before sailing, and after the first night they were able to accomodate us with first seating, but man, that first night was a long dinner.

good luck and happy sailing,

Wendy

Breakfast in the dining room is the way to go. It's ever so much more civilized that Windjammer's buffet (which I'm not crazy about!) and the food is fresh, hot, and served by a waiter on a tablecloth-covered table!!!!

Yeah, I don't know why RCCL won't change the seating times until you actually get on board when you're traveling with kids.

We sailed myself, DH, my aunt, my cousin, and my 13 month old DD, and they gave us late seating.

Granted, we only booked about 2 months before sailing, and after the first night they were able to accomodate us with first seating, but man, that first night was a long dinner.

good luck and happy sailing,

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I think that as reservations are made, the requests for early/late are put into the computer and when a seating fills up, no matter what the requests are, they go to the seating that is left. I think early fills up before late, so if you make reservations after the early seating is full, you will be slotted into late.

After getting onboard, some early people change to late, some people decide not to eat dinner in the dining room at all, and I do think some seats have been reserved for changes. So, talking to the Maitre d' can have some good results.

Many times people don't want to change until after the first dinner, so that's how changes still can be made.

Katie

Archived