Snorkel Excursions

2snorkel/cruisers

I'd like opinions on the three snorkel excursions that Carnival is offering in October. We would like to do one but not sure which would be the best. Barrier Reef Snorkel, Goff's Caye Snorkel or Sergeant's Cay Snorkel. Any suggestions. We're not pros but we've done it a few times and really enjoy it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend this Carnival excursion:

Barrier Reef Snorkel at Turneffe with Beach Break

It leaves at 12 noon, so gives you some time to sleep in.

Great snorkel site, and then take you to Bannister Island for a beach break. Be warned, the rum punch they serve after snorkeling is extra strong!

The other important difference between this and booking on your own:

They pick you up at the ship...no need to tender into Belize to pick up the excursion.

If you are willing to try something different, please try the Snuba excursion.

Snuba at Turneffe & Beach Breakspacer.gif

You go on the exact same boat at the same time, but instead of snorkeling you do Snuba...it's an air tank on the surface, with a 20 foot hose and mouthpiece like the scuba divers use. Anyone who can snorkel can to this. Get to stay underwater for over 30 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from the Enchantment of the Seas & did a ship sponsored snorkle/beach break tour. It was horrible!! We were packed into an enclosed boat with approx 30-40 other people. Once we arrived at the snorkle site we were split into groups. My mask leaked like crazy & no one was able to get me another one. My friend had knee replacements & was unable to make the flippers work. Since she could not keep up with the group they made her get back on the boat. We asked if we could just float & swim around the boat but they said no. Because of her knee problem my friend was unable to clime the short ladder they placed over the side of the boat. They ended up having to "hoist" her onto a back ledge by the motors & then over the side. She felt rather like the "catch of the day". While I was able to climb up the ladder it was very difficult & I received several very nasty scratches on my leg from something sharp on the ladder.

We waited onboard with several other people for about 45 minutes with no water or restroom facilities.

Once the snorklers returned we then went to an Island "resort" for our beach portion. It wasn't very impressive, going into the water it was very stony sharp and farther out it was mucky with lots of seaweed floating around.

All in all we felt it was a complete waste of money. We filled out a shore excursion report but once they have your money it seems they are not interested in whether you enjoy your excursion or not.

Our table mates did the 3 hour snorkle excursion & had a great time. They had refreshments & restrooms onboard.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool Cruiser,

Your trip to spacer.gifTurneffe & Beach Break on Carnival. How many people were on the trip? I realize it would vary from cruise to cruise, but Carnival tells me 100 people.

We just got back from a cruise on Carnival Legend that went to Belize. My husband booked 2 ship excursions back-to-back (which is a bit exhausting). They were both very good (and we usually don't do ship excursions).

In the morning we went to Goff's Cay. It looked a little stormy so we decided to snorkel from the beach there. They do take you out to the nearby reef in the boat (if you want) where you can see more. This is a tiny island but very pretty and the water is clear when you get away from the dock. On the east side of the island, there are a lot of small coral heads where you can see some amazing fish. This in a very shallow area - maybe 2 or 3 feet at the most so you swim BESIDE the coral so you won't damage it. The boats to Goff's Cay are small - maybe 20 people, although other boats come there too.

In the afternoon we went on the excursion to the reef with a beach break at Bannister Cay. The postives: the reef was really beautiful: large with many incredible fish. I am glad I did not miss this. Bannister Cay was surprisingly pretty, with a nice beach with thousands of small beautiful shells that are like little jewels, kayaks to explore the mangrove shore, a restaurant, etc. I could have spent all day there. It was large enough that the large group of us spread out and it was not at all crowded.

The negative part: the boat was large and crowded, and a lot of people went in the water snorkelling. We had our own equipment, so we were able to get in quickly & didn't have to mess around adjusting masks, etc. The inexperienced people had a some trouble getting used to the gear & I noticed a lot of them ended up treading water out there and not looking at the reef. If you have never snorkelled, better to go to an island (like Goff's Cay) where you can get the hang of it by going in from the shore.

They served free Rum Punch (and soft drinks) on the boat & a lot of people were very enthused about this. The staff on this trip were very good and made sure everyone was safe while snorkeling - they had a guy who circled around in a kayak who kept track of everyone.

Here is Goff's Cay:

GoffsCay2J.jpg

Archived