Changing dinner seating for just one night?

SWEngr

We will be on the Mariner in June. We have requested the main seating which is fine for most evenings. However on Friday the port is Cozumel and the ship doesn't leave port until 7pm. While it is not a formal night, it still will be a challenge to get back from the shore excursion and get cleaned up for dinner. But it is the night they have lobster, so we would like to eat in the dining room.

Is it possible to request the later seating for just that one night? We would be a family of four.

I wouldn't count on it only for the fact that those seats in the late seating are reserved and even if they haven't showed up for the whole week they still have to keep them open for the people who signed up at that time. You could go there and ask,but be prepared to wait until everyone is seated and it might be hard with 4.

What time is your shore excursion? Is it available earlier in the day?

I have never heard of being able to switch for just one night........that is the predicament a lot of people have when they have early seating and there are port days..........

If all else fails, you could always order room service. I understand that you have the ability to order from the dinner menu during dinner hours.

Not the lobster though, which is why the OP wants to go to the late dinner instead of the other venues

I second either the Windjammer or Chops/Portofino.

Do tell the waiter the night before if you decide to not go the next night.

We have seen alot of people not let the waitstaff know ahead of time. I think it's only fair to do so.

The OP wants the lobster (not available from room service or the Windjammer). Well, you could ask (as DH always says, if you don't ask, the answer is always no) - we were at a table for 10 a couple of years ago but only 5 of us ever showed up. Our tablemates were on a b2b and had asked for the same waitstaff - they said the remainder of the table was empty on the previous leg of their trip as well. You'd probably have a better chance if there were only two of you, but who knows?

If the ship leaves at 7, you need to be on board at 6 anyway, so maybe you could just clean up quickly and get to the dining room by 6:30?

Where would they put you? All tables will probably be filled by those in the late seating! Just plan on getting back in time. You have to be onboard by 6:30 anyway for a 7pm departure--heading back to the ship an hour early should still give you more than enough time ashore.

Maybe you could ask the waiter if he could put you in contact with the second seating group at your table. Maybe they are not planning on dinner in the dining room that night or maybe they would rather switch. Couldn't hurt to ask!

Maybe you could ask the waiter if he could put you in contact with the second seating group at your table. Maybe they are not planning on dinner in the dining room that night or maybe they would rather switch. Couldn't hurt to ask!

OT: All I have to say is I LOVE YOUR NAME!! It is so true.

My 2 cent's, relax and go to Portifinos, the seafood skewer is to die for and way better then the lobster dinner imho. This being said from a women that generally orders 4 tails but I would much rather have just one seafood skewer in Portifinos.

BonVoyage

Dawna

;) Last year when we were on the Mariner they pushed back the Dinner seating times when in cozumel, by half hour if I remember right, so everyone could attend dinner. :D

We just did the Mariner western on 3/25/07 and they did not change the dinner times in Cozumel (at least not late seating so I assume early was still at 6)

On the Jewel in February we actually talked with our waiter about coming to the late sitting one night. He said it would be fine - we did and he put us at his large table where no one had shown for the whole week. DH when in to be sure he could seat us.

We were always told that main seating fills up first, and its easier to switch from main to late, rather than late to main. I say, first day, ask the head waiter if this is possible. I'm sure if there is anyway that can accommodate you, they will. And you won't know if you don't ask.

Are you sure lobster night isn't your 2nd formal night? It was for us on Navigator 3wks ago. We booked Chops Cozumel night at 8:30pm. It was a great decision

Anyway, our tablemates were able to move to late seating, 4 of them one night because they booked a late spa appoinment they really wanted. It wasn't an issue but I believe it was a day at sea.

They do move the dinner times up. Dinner will be at 6:30pm and you could always tell your waiter the night before you may be 10 minutes late and to have the rest of the table start without you. Just skip the bread and bar drinks and go right to appetizer and obviously lobster. :)

Thanks for the replies. We want to do the Discover Scuba and it is 12:30-4:30, which won't be so bad except for the hour time difference which makes it 1:30-5:30 ship time. While we shouldn't have any problem getting back on board before 6:30, getting showers and ready for dinner by 6:30 might be pushing it. At least we should be docked, so it should make it a bit quicker to get on board.

Thanks for the replies. We want to do the Discover Scuba and it is 12:30-4:30, which won't be so bad except for the hour time difference which makes it 1:30-5:30 ship time. While we shouldn't have any problem getting back on board before 6:30, getting showers and ready for dinner by 6:30 might be pushing it. At least we should be docked, so it should make it a bit quicker to get on board.
When we went to Cozumel on Radiance the ship changed time to match.

From my experience, changing meal times for a night is not a problem. We have usually made the change for the same reason as the OP - to accomodate a late arrival from shore, or any early call for the next day (3 a.m. in Maui for sunrise and the downhill bike ride at Haleakala).

We asked the maitre d' and our waiter the night before. This has been easily handled by Celebrity, NCL, Delta Queen, and the former American Hawaii Cruises. I do not recall, but I believe that we did not sit at our "home table". On one cruise our waiter stopped by the table to see how we were being treated! ;)

Wesley

Archived