Help me Decide!

rebeccalouise

Do you know that I'm actually quite flattered to be considered Matthew's sidekick. I regard Matthew as someone who knows and cares about the QE2 - I'm pleased to be tarred with the same brush:)

I think a few of us on this board think of you two as the M & M's ;)

What you going to do now that he's going to cheat on the old queen??? :eek:

Ken

An inside on QM2 is just fine,....and is hardly what should be considered "steerage". Like Ken, I've been on both QM2 and QE2, and, yes I prefer QM2 as well.

The great thing about QM2 (or one of the things anyway) is that the least expensive accommodations are still fantastic. On QE2, the minimum cabins are surely what one COULD consider "steerage" style....I know, I've been in one!

As far as weather is concerned, I did a T/A in Oct. and despite some rough seas, QM2 performed flawlessly,...steady as a rock.

Go and have a great time!

-Russ

A1 Guarantee.

Aha! Someone wants to be bumped up! Though if they do I hope you make it into PG or QG - you definitely don't want to end up in AA! And if you do end up in PG or QG, I am told, if you ask nicely, they will let you dine once in Britannia........I'd also spotted keen pricing on this crossing - but don't have the time unfortunately.....

Peter

Aha! Someone wants to be bumped up! Though if they do I hope you make it into PG or QG - you definitely don't want to end up in AA! And if you do end up in PG or QG, I am told, if you ask nicely, they will let you dine once in Britannia........I'd also spotted keen pricing on this crossing - but don't have the time unfortunately.....

Peter

Am I that transparent?

I agree AA is not ideal. Indeed, far from it. But I do like single seating dining and will console myself with that if necessary. If it is truly awful I'll ask to be downgraded for dinner to late dining. I'm sure, somewhere, there is a space for a single passenger somewhere.....

There is also the definite benefit of having the same table at lunch and dinner.

But, to be honest, I regard AA as deft marketing. Not even style over substance!

Matthew

Penny! Look quickly! Our Countdown Clocks are working!

(And your smileys, too, yay.)

OOOPS!!! Not fast enough! I see NO CC clocks...none...when are you all leaving...when am I leaving....was it something I said? :rolleyes:

Smilies come and go...no rhyme or reason...now I've got them, then I don't:(

I am frustrated!!! Is it my Mac computer they don't like?

Cheers, Penny

Penny's Affair to Remember QM2 review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Am I that transparent?

I agree AA is not ideal. Indeed, far from it. But I do like single seating dining and will console myself with that if necessary. If it is truly awful I'll ask to be downgraded for dinner to late dining. I'm sure, somewhere, there is a space for a single passenger somewhere.....

There is also the definite benefit of having the same table at lunch and dinner.

But, to be honest, I regard AA as deft marketing. Not even style over substance!

Matthew

You will NOT be enthralled when you see what they have set aside for AA in Britannia...and part of the fun at lunch is trying out tables in different areas of that huge room. This is one huge area and it feels totally different sitting in the different places. But not in the AA area!!

As to deft marketing...that's about all it is! Marketing plain and simple and aimed at those who are not familiar with the ship and fall for the "snob" appeal of the marketing words.

Cheers, Penny

Penny's Affair to Remember QM2 review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Karie,

The idea of musak during dinner is not an ambiance that I like the idea of. But I suppose each to his own.

Matthew

That's my point, Matthew. There is always live music NOT musak on the QM2 in Britannia.

And your kind of music! (Right side of the pond musical tastes)

Honest!

or are you saying that music while you eat (any music) is musak to you, and intrusive?

I can accept that. It isn't MY taste in music,but it really is unobtrusive.

karie

That's my point, Matthew. There is always live music NOT musak on the QM2 in Britannia.

And your kind of music! (Right side of the pond musical tastes)

Honest!

or are you saying that music while you eat (any music) is musak to you, and intrusive?

I can accept that. It isn't MY taste in music,but it really is unobtrusive.

karie

What is "my kind of music"?

I dislike background music - full stop. And "my type of music" actually annoys me more - I find myself listening to it which is annoying.

Matthew

Hi Penny, it may be sooner than that ... guess what I found under Matthew's signature?

04/06/07 - RMS Queen Mary 2 - Transatlantic W/bound :cool:

Could this be a typographical error? I think not! :rolleyes:

regards

Margot

I was ready to laugh and say he tricked you! April 6 was two weeks ago. then I remembered you backwards Brits!

Congrats Matthew. you will love her!

I expect a marvelous wonderful review, complete with what you DO and DON'T like about her. I am sure there will be both.

Hmm, Damn, I just swapped on-call weeks with someone so I have to work. Otherwise I might consider going just to watch your face when you experience her up close for the first time!

I do so want you to like her. It's like setting up a friend with a blind date! We want you to like her!

Karie

What is "my kind of music"?

I dislike background music - full stop. And "my type of music" actually annoys me more - I find myself listening to it which is annoying.

Matthew

Okay, Understood. I am that way with TV or Radio. I feel if I don't perk up and listen I am being rude. Can't sleep read or have a conversation with it on!

By "your kind" I mean the music (and other entertainment) on QM2 tends more towards what is popular on the European side of the pond. While there are thosuands and thousands of Americans who love classical and opera, it does seem as though it is more popular (percentagewise) there than here. Just my opinin, and I could be full of soap. That is just my impression.

Karie

Otherwise I might consider going just to watch your face when you experience her up close for the first time!

I do so want you to like her. It's like setting up a friend with a blind date! We want you to like her!

Karie

I've set this trip up at last minute. I have a freebie night at the Waldorf (one bedroom suite no less) and the flight home is free on American Express points - Upper Class on Virgin.

I wanted to go on the transatlantic tomorrow, but couldn't get a cabin. So I thought, and with that crossing being keenly priced, that I would see what QM2 is like.

I'm going to try and have as open a mind as I can. It's somewhat pointless laying out a significant wedge otherwise.

What I do know is that she cannot have the same impression on me as QE2 did on my first trip. That was cathartic, the crossing having been bought with money left to me by my father and at the same time celebrating the loss of my ex girlfriend. I flew home on Concorde to meet my (now) wife (the first chocolates I gave her were Concorde chocolates) a few days later - our first date was "Don Giovanni" at the Royal Opera, Covent Garden - centre front row of the stalls - and I'd spoken to her just before leaving.

But to try and repeat that experience is pointless. That month was the turning point of my life. And QE2, like Concorde, was part of it.

That doesn't mean that I can't like the Queen Mary 2 however.

Matthew

What I do know is that she cannot have the same impression on me as QE2 did on my first trip. That was cathartic, the crossing having been bought with money left to me by my father and at the same time celebrating the loss of my ex girlfriend. I flew home on Concorde to meet my (now) wife (the first chocolates I gave her were Concorde chocolates) a few days later - our first date was "Don Giovanni" at the Royal Opera, Covent Garden - centre front row of the stalls - and I'd spoken to her just before leaving.

But to try and repeat that experience is pointless. That month was the turning point of my life. And QE2, like Concorde, was part of it.

That doesn't mean that I can't like the Queen Mary 2 however.

Matthew

Well, definitely, don't even try to compare it. Think of it as like one is a trip to the Opera and one is a Soccer game. you like both but for totally different reasons! (Unless, of course, you don't like football- then think of something else diametrically opposed to the Opera, but still enjoyable.)

The best ship coud not live up to the memories and monumental happenstance of the frist one. Memories and loves are about more than just the object or subject at hand. How many times has a particular song or even smell evoked warm pleasant memories.? A lot goes into making up the whole. So don't try to think of them as even in the same genre.

We will go on Grander ships and lesser ones, but none will ever rival our first. An=dt your first was even more emotionally riveting~!

Please do enjoy yourself and tell us both the good and the bad!

Karie,

who respects you deeply for doing this, with an open mnd!

As the famous commercials said,

"Try it! You might Like it!"

Hi Penny, it may be sooner than that ... guess what I found under Matthew's signature?

04/06/07 - RMS Queen Mary 2 - Transatlantic W/bound :cool:

Could this be a typographical error? I think not! :rolleyes:

regards

Margot

Story of my life; something big happens and I'm hours behind the rest of you.

That'll teach you Matthew. Should have had a broken countdown clock like the rest of us, then we'd never have known.

Well spotted Margot, you wonderful little possum:).

I will be in Europe this summer and am debating coming home via the Queen Mary 2.

I have some questions-

I can only afford and inside cabin. They look fairly roomy- did anyone on here have one and if so, how did you like it?

Is the food really bad in this catagory (2nd class)?

Was there alot of motion? I have read the reviews but no one made mention of excessive motion on the Transatlantic.

Would you recommend this ship?

I just saw this thread. If its not too late, I just wanted to reassure our poster that she has absolutely nothing to worry about. Take the QM2 and an inside cabin and no one will think worse about you. Although we had a sheltered balcony our tablemates did the inside cabin and we got along very well.

As for the food? Don't even think twice about it. The Britannia Restaurant is where the majority of passengers eat and I rank it the best food on a cruise line yet. Cunard is head and shoulders above the other mass market lines in the food department.

As for motion? Well everyone had different levels of sensitivity and I only did a Caribbean cruise on her but I can tell you this - once aboard you can tell she is a true ocean liner and not just a cruise ship. You have the best chance on her than on many of the ships today if feeling motion is an issue with you.

Go and enjoy! I'm envious!

David

Archived