Help me Decide!

rebeccalouise

I will be in Europe this summer and am debating coming home via the Queen Mary 2.

I have some questions-

I can only afford and inside cabin. They look fairly roomy- did anyone on here have one and if so, how did you like it?

Is the food really bad in this catagory (2nd class)?

Was there alot of motion? I have read the reviews but no one made mention of excessive motion on the Transatlantic.

Would you recommend this ship?

I will be in Europe this summer and am debating coming home via the Queen Mary 2.

I have some questions-

I can only afford and inside cabin. They look fairly roomy- did anyone on here have one and if so, how did you like it? Sorry, never had an inside.

Is the food really bad in this catagory (2nd class)? No, no, no! The food is great in all the dining rooms. The Grills have more a la carte choices, that's all.

Was there alot of motion? I have read the reviews but no one made mention of excessive motion on the Transatlantic. Inside will have less motion than outside.

Would you recommend this ship? Yes, yes , yes!

Go! You will have a ball.

Paul

Food in the Britannia is superb....4 of us never had anything for a week that wasn't delicious. There is nothing "2nd Class" about it believe me.

Also can't help with the inside cabin but I'd also assume you'd feel things less there unless higher up. And there is no predicting the Atlantic Ocean conditions....however QM2 is a liner, designed and built to withstand the kinds of weather you might encounter in the open ocean far better than the cruise ships that are out there today. She handles motion quite well I"m told.

Do book...you will have the time of your life on this magnificent ship! I can't wait to get back on!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny's Affair to Remember QM2 review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Is the food really bad in this catagory (2nd class)?

I'm not a great fan of the Mary, but I will say that there is no class system aboard - despite Cunard advertising it that way:rolleyes: . The biggest difference between Grill and non-Grill accommodation is just that - in one you eat in one of the Grills, in the other you eat in the Britannia Restaurant.

My first cruise on the QM2 was an inside cabin and it was fine. The bedding is very comfortable. Britannia dinning room is beautiful and the food is very good. Go for it, you will fall in love with the ship.

I'm not a great fan of the Mary, but I will say that there is no class system aboard - despite Cunard advertising it that way:rolleyes: . The biggest difference between Grill and non-Grill accommodation is just that - in one you eat in one of the Grills, in the other you eat in the Britannia Restaurant.

What is it about the Queen Mary that you didn't like?

What is it about the Queen Mary that you didn't like?

I've never been on her - I've never actually seen her! I think my objection is twofold:

Firstly she was introduced as the replacement for the QE2 - anyone who knows that ship will know that she can't be replaced.

Secondly, from the pictures I've seen, she looks like a film set of an ocean liner - she has a grand staircase not because she needs one but because the designer thought one looked right; the design of the Britannia Restaurant is the way it is because it was designed to look grand first and be a venue to eat second; I feel that she has far too many balconies - why do you need a balcony crossing the North Atlantic? In fact lots of little points that don't encourage me to travel on her. Although after having read some of the reviews on this board (Penny, Pepper and others too numerous to mention) my desire to try her is increasing.

I've never been on her - I've never actually seen her! I think my objection is twofold:

Firstly she was introduced as the replacement for the QE2 - anyone who knows that ship will know that she can't be replaced.

Secondly, from the pictures I've seen, she looks like a film set of an ocean liner - she has a grand staircase not because she needs one but because the designer thought one looked right; the design of the Britannia Restaurant is the way it is because it was designed to look grand first and be a venue to eat second; I feel that she has far too many balconies - why do you need a balcony crossing the North Atlantic? In fact lots of little points that don't encourage me to travel on her. Although after having read some of the reviews on this board (Penny, Pepper and others too numerous to mention) my desire to try her is increasing.

Actually Malcolm, a balcony on the Atlantic is nice. I've had one on all crossings save my first, and wouldn't want to be without it. It is especially good if coming into Manhattan - provided one has a starboard cabin.

I know what you mean about the ship itself though. I have seen her, albeit only for a week (and from a mile away) but she doesn't have the elegance of Queen Elizabeth 2, at least to my mind.

Louise - I'll put it this way. Of all the potential trips you could do, a transatlantic is special.

Of all the ships to do it on, there are only two possibles. QM2 and QE2.

If you can get on QE2 on one of her rare crossings, do it. Sell your Granny to get on board. Why not (assuming you're a good sailor) join us on the January transatlantic next year? Malcolm - if work allows, you should too!

If you want to do a transatlantic at another time, then you'll have to make do with QM2.

My feeling is that she'll be very good - but not the equal of QE2.

Matthew

Now waits to be mocked, scorned and laughed at by Ken C......

I have done a transatlantic on Celebrity Millenium and my tablemates liked it but said they preferred the QE2. My parents did the QE2 and liked it very much but my step-father suffered from severe motion sickness. He has never gotten motion sick on our other cruises. I would be traveling with my six year old son and worry about the motion.

I know that the Atlantic is unpredictable but did anyone feel really ill or did you notice many seasick people?

I know that the Atlantic is unpredictable but did anyone feel really ill or did you notice many seasick people?

Yes.

On my second crossing, which was the first time my (then future) wife was on the ship, we were both ill - her more than me - as we battled force 10+ storms for two days. We were very high and very forward though, and this makes it worse.

My first and third crossings were calm.

My fourth was a bit lumpy - enough to worry my wife, but not me.

I went alone on the fifth, and had a ball with the ship dealing with force 8/9 winds. Many people suffered on this crossing.

The North Atlantic is capable of being rougher than almost anywhere else, and for longer. If you like that (and I do) then it's great.

If not, perhaps it isn't advisable. You simply cannot predict with certainty what the weather might be. Any time can be calm, any time can be stormy.

You might, however, find that your child is better equipped than you!

Matthew

I have done a transatlantic on Celebrity Millenium and my tablemates liked it but said they preferred the QE2. My parents did the QE2 and liked it very much but my step-father suffered from severe motion sickness. He has never gotten motion sick on our other cruises. I would be traveling with my six year old son and worry about the motion.

The most palatable and efficacious sea sickness preventative is crystalized ginger, which every QM2 restaurant offers you lots of.

Well, I rest my case about QE2 fans being blinkered when they write their scorn about Queen Mary 2 :rolleyes:

The most palatable and efficacious sea sickness preventative is crystalized ginger

The most efficacious (and also the most expensive) is the shot given by the doctor - after a couple of hours sleep you'll feel well again:)

The most efficacious (and also the most expensive) is the shot given by the doctor - after a couple of hours sleep you'll feel well again:)

Phah!

The most expensive is la Grande Dame, or Dom Perignon.

Champagne is the cure all for sea sickness.

(It's the cure for most things in fact)

Matthew

Ginger works without costing you time (asleep) or money.

Actually Malcolm, a balcony on the Atlantic is nice. I've had one on all crossings save my first, and wouldn't want to be without it. It is especially good if coming into Manhattan - provided one has a starboard cabin.

I know what you mean about the ship itself though. I have seen her, albeit only for a week (and from a mile away) but she doesn't have the elegance of Queen Elizabeth 2, at least to my mind.

Louise - I'll put it this way. Of all the potential trips you could do, a transatlantic is special.

Of all the ships to do it on, there are only two possibles. QM2 and QE2.

If you can get on QE2 on one of her rare crossings, do it. Sell your Granny to get on board. Why not (assuming you're a good sailor) join us on the January transatlantic next year? Malcolm - if work allows, you should too!

If you want to do a transatlantic at another time, then you'll have to make do with QM2.

My feeling is that she'll be very good - but not the equal of QE2.

Matthew

Now waits to be mocked, scorned and laughed at by Ken C......

Matthew you are not quite the lost cause and once old Lizzie is gone you will slip onto Queen Mary 2 and wonder why you made all the fuss (and we will all have a laugh at your expense!!). Unlike your sidekick Malcolm ..... who doesn't really know what he's talking about :rolleyes:

If anyone wants my opinion about QE2 ... ? Well, lets just say while I can appreciate her 60's looks externally, I wouldn't go on her again if you paid me. :eek:

Ken

Does this mean that you'll stop mocking those of us who love Queen Elizabeth 2?

Matthew

I don't mock those of you who love QE2 because you love her - I mock the high flying tosh that gets written about her and the criticisms that are levelled against QM2 by people who haven't even seen her let alone sailed on her. At least I can say I have sailed on both Queens - something many QE2 lovers can't ;)

Ken

I could not deny the efficacy of placebos - that is what I believe Ginger to be, a placebo.

It's not what you don't know, it's what you know that isn't true, that may cause you queasiness, and expense.

Matthew you are not quite the lost cause and once old Lizzie is gone you will slip onto Queen Mary 2 and wonder why you made all the fuss (and we will all have a laugh at your expense!!). Unlike your sidekick Malcolm ..... who doesn't really know what he's talking about :rolleyes:

Malcolm is no-one's sidekick. And his is an opinion I would value.

Matthew.

The inside cabins are just fine. The closet space, desk area and bathroom are exactly the same as the ones with a balcony. The cabins are a bit smaller and have a table and a chair instead of a two-seater sofa. If you can book a cabin near the center on a lower deck, that would be the best place to avoid the feeling of motion.

The food in the Britannia dining room is outstanding. You will have musicians playing at dinner, soft light, flowers on the table, excellent service and a stunning room. There is no feeling of "class" on the ship.

Would I recommend the ship? 100% yes!!! We have made 4 transatlantic crossings on her and been on a 12 day Canada voyage. I will be back on her to England in June and returning to NY in late August (hate to fly) and have booked an inside both ways, for the first time, due to the gruesome single prices. In the summer we have been very lucky with totally calm crossings but there's no predicting what it will be like.

I agree with everyone who adores the QE2 as we love her equally but the Mary has more crossings available if you want to go in the summer.

Aloha, Patti

Rebeccalouise...welcome to the funny farm...the "boys" are at it again...don't be alarmed...this happens frequently. I think they're all harmless...but definitely opinionated. ( OK, my "winkies are gone again!! Will someone fix this forum??? NO clock, no winkies or smilies...I'm disabled)

Malcolm is getting tempted..just doesn't like to admit it. And sometimes he forgets his nice pills. (winkie face, Malcolm)

Matthew will succomb someday when QE2 is gone...and I'm not one to want to see that...she's lovely...never sailed her myself so I reserve comment on anything else to do with her

KenC is one of us...the unabashed QM2 lovers...(big grin face here)

I can't think of anything more delightful than a TA...having done several as a child growing up they are some of my most cherished memories. Perhaps it it something special you can give your son, those kind of memories on a very memorable ship. As far as seasickness, there are many helpful remedies and it's wise to have some with you incase. But kids are resilient and in seriously bad storms I never got sick as a kid. (Matthew, I don't think the champagne cure is a good idea for a 6 yr old)

I do hope you'll give her a try...it could be a wonderful experience for you both.

Cheers, Penny

Penny's Affair to Remember QM2 review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Thank you very much for the information. I will definitely think about it. I am a little worried because it would be the week of August 9th and I know that is huricanne season.

I did the southern TA a couple years ago on Celebrity Millenium and it was great and like glass but I know the Northern one can be bad. So, I'll just have to think this thru.

Both my son and I got seasick on the Constellation out of NYC and Bonine helped us but if it was rough the whole way- not sure.

Ginger is definitely not a placebo. It has known effects. Just becasue it is food does not mean it does not have medicinal value!

Malcolm. You MUST go on the QM2. You will fall n love. The stairwell is there becasue it is a marvelous way to see mulitple beautiful tiers of the ship, the fabulous floral arrangements, the grand piano,l the harpist when she is there, and you can see who is coming on more than one level when looking for friends. You have that fabulous gold foil mural in th atrium which is surrounded by the grande staircase, and the wonderfully lit ceiling changing colors,

As for the Britannia, I suppose they could have had a more pedestrain eating establishment- Maybe had low ceilings, tacky roman andd greek God fake statues, but, why when you can have that beautiful stunning tapestry which speaks and awes on so many levels, the chandelier, thegrande round tables where the Captain plays occasional host, again, the grand piano, the string quartet or chamber music group, the harpist. Sure, it's a place to eat. But really, it's a place to DINE! there is a difference! I don't mind if they designed the ambiance before the menu! The ambiance is what makes you WANT to dress in finery, put on your best manners, and order food you wouldn't even know where to find, much less dare eat at home! You;ll like her.

She's not as homey as the QE2 (from what I know) doesn't have quite the high number of quirks, (although she has a few!) But she will absolutle y astound you! You will feel like you have returned to 1940 without the soot. When you hear that bautiful siren calling out to you (her horns) it will send a shiver down your sopine, in anticipations, and also it will invoke the memory of the original Mary and the folks who sailed her. There is absolutely NOTHING plastic about her. NOTHING! She is elegance, a little bit of kitsch, the intmiacy of the Golden Lion Pub, the awe and wonder of illuminations, You will be smitten. Take my word for it, or go for yourself. You won't regret it!

I think you boys are afraid to try her for fear you'll love here, and feel that you are being disloyal to her older sister!

Some one! You can love two girls at once boys!

Try her!

Karie,

who sees nothing fake phony or contrived about QM2.

Archived