Help me Decide!

rebeccalouise

I could not deny the efficacy of placebos - that is what I believe Ginger to be, a placebo.

Actually, in medical double-blind tests, ginger tablets have been shown to work, and not simply as a placebo. Check out medline for a number of the studies.

For a less formal, but enjoyable placebo-blinded "study" which also showed the efficacy of ginger, check out the Mythbusters episode on the subject.

Unlike your sidekick Malcolm ..... who doesn't really know what he's talking about :rolleyes:

You're quite right - I know very little of the QM2 appart from what I've heard, seen in pictures and seen in the brochure. I was asked what I didn't like and I gave my reasons and stated that I have never even seen her.

I can only afford and inside cabin. They look fairly roomy- did anyone on here have one and if so, how did you like it? .....Would you recommend this ship?

I once heard someone say that it is better to buy the cheapest house on the best street than to buy the most expensive house on the worst street....

We are sailing on a TA again in 2008 and we will book an inside cabin. It suits our 'heads-down' needs as we are not cabin dwellers.... Go for it!

As for Malcolm, (God Bless his little cotton socks...) I doubt we will ever get him on the QM2 in this life. He will probably die of a broken heart when the QE2 goes out of service and go on to wander the QM2 as a happy little ghost. He will be heard giggling with guilt... "Gosh - it is quite nice after all!" :p

Rebeccalouise...welcome to the funny farm...the "boys" are at it again...don't be alarmed...this happens frequently. I think they're all harmless...but definitely opinionated. ..... KenC is one of us...the unabashed QM2 lovers...(big grin face here)

Cheers, Penny

Penny's Affair to Remember QM2 review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Yes I do think highly of QM2 and I think my emotion about QE2 is more disappointment than anything else. I grew up reading everything I could about ocean liners, my father went to sea, every childhood holiday on the South Coast included a visit to Southampton Docks (lucky enough to see both QM and QE), my bookshelves groan with the weight of ship books and I played truant the day they launched QE2 so I could watch it live on TV!!! I should have loved QE2 instantly - but it never happened :( She was not what I had expected or anticipated for a Cunard Queen!!!

Ken

As for the Britannia, .......the grand piano, the string quartet or chamber music group, the harpist. Sure, it's a place to eat. But really, it's a place to DINE! there is a difference! I don't mind if they designed the ambiance before the menu! The ambiance is what makes you WANT to dress in finery, put on your best manners, and order food you wouldn't even know where to find, much less dare eat at home! You;ll like her.

Karie,

The idea of musak during dinner is not an ambiance that I like the idea of. But I suppose each to his own.

Matthew

Rebeccalouise...welcome to the funny farm...the "boys" are at it again...don't be alarmed...this happens frequently. I think they're all harmless...but definitely opinionated. ( OK, my "winkies are gone again!! Will someone fix this forum??? NO clock, no winkies or smilies...I'm disabled)

Hope nobody minds a quick aside here to help Penny with her winkies.

I am assuming you cant see the selection lists (by the side or the drop down list) if that is the case all you have to do is remember the actual codes they produce : for example for a smile key : followed by )

Big Grin : followed by D

:eek: is : followed by eek followed by another :

Those are the 3 I remember for speed (or if I am editing my post where the editor is not easily available)

hope this helps

Karen

Hope nobody minds a quick aside here to help Penny with her winkies.

I am assuming you cant see the selection lists (by the side or the drop down list) if that is the case all you have to do is remember the actual codes they produce : for example for a smile key : followed by )

Big Grin : followed by D

:eek: is : followed by eek followed by another :

Those are the 3 I remember for speed (or if I am editing my post where the editor is not easily available)

hope this helps

Karen

Hi Karen...thanks for the help. Actually I have the whole list of winkies but when I click on them they don't show up in the post...doesn't happen all the time but enough to be irritating. And I'd REALLY like my clock and everyone elses clock back!!

Cheers, Penny

Thanks for all your advice. Apart from the seasickness issue- I'm sold.:)

Rebeccalouise - I'm another QE2 fan, but still think the QM2 is a fantastic way to cross the Atlantic (second only to the QE2;)) - and at the time of year you wish to cross the only practical solution. As for Hurricanes - don't forget you are crossing the North Atlantic - which tends to be roughest in Winter - thats not to say you won't hit bumpy weather - but if any hurricanes do try to cross your path both the QM2 and QE2 are superbly designed to cope - and the QM2, being twice the size of QM2, almost certainly more stable (I've only been on the QE2 in rough weather). By the time hurricanes do reach the North Atlantic they tend to be dieing out anyway. In August my guess would be that you will have flat calm seas and fog.......And what a memory for your 6 year old!

Peter

As for Malcolm, (God Bless his little cotton socks...) I doubt we will ever get him on the QM2 in this life.

Don't bet on it - I would be there in May if it wasn't for other commitments. I suspect it'll be after the demise of the QE2 before I make it but I'm not sure.

Unlike your sidekick Malcolm

Do you know that I'm actually quite flattered to be considered Matthew's sidekick. I regard Matthew as someone who knows and cares about the QE2 - I'm pleased to be tarred with the same brush:)

Matthew will succomb someday when QE2 is gone...and I'm not one to want to see that...she's lovely...never sailed her myself so I reserve comment on anything else to do with her
Hi Penny, it may be sooner than that ... guess what I found under Matthew's signature?

04/06/07 - RMS Queen Mary 2 - Transatlantic W/bound :cool:

Could this be a typographical error? I think not! :rolleyes:

regards

Margot

Hi Penny, it may be sooner than that ... guess what I found under Matthew's signature?

04/06/07 - RMS Queen Mary 2 - Transatlantic W/bound :cool:

Could this be a typographical error? I think not! :rolleyes:

regards

Margot

I wondered who would spot that first!

Matthew

I had an inside cabin on deck 11. The cabin is fine but you are in continual darkness and I like to know whether it is day or night when I awaken in the morning.

We had a storm one evening and there was definite movement up on deck 11, lower down though it's hardly evident.

The food is excellent in the Britannia dining room and there is no second class about it. If you've never done a crossing I highly recommend it.

Indeed. So two new things together - upstart ships (;-)) and steerage! :eek:

Matthew

Cough cough cough....could someone please phone for an ambulance? I think I'm either having a stroke or a heart attack. :p

I thought the red section of your list looked bigger, but reckoned it was just my imagination. Of course, how could I have ever imagined such wonders....!

Should we alert the media?

Cough cough cough....could someone please phone for an ambulance? I think I'm either having a stroke or a heart attack. :p

Should we alert the media?

Angela...I think we'd better alert the ship first!! We'll call for the smelling salts and ambulance after...;)

Cheers, Penny....crawling up slowly from the floor!!:rolleyes:

Angela...I think we'd better alert the ship first!! We'll call for the smelling salts and ambulance after...;)

Cheers, Penny....crawling up slowly from the floor!!:rolleyes:

:p See Penny? Whoever said, "If you live long enough you will see just about everything", was right.

...we have taken another "placebo" with us, the wrist bands, and our kids found they worked well.

So does walking around on the deck, splashing water on your face, etc.

But, next time one of them gets that look in their eyes, we'll ask for some ginger.

That said, the QM2 is a big ship and less likely to "dance" than smaller ships. We like to book cabins just aft of midship and on deck 6, which seems a very stable place. I'd suggest there or there-abouts. And go buy a few of the wristbands ($10-a-pop) and then don't worry. My mother-in-law is prone to motion sickness and we booked her into a deck 11 cabin next to ours for a January trip (heh heh heh) and she didn't have any problems at all.

As far as the inside cabins go... The prices do not seem too much better than the outside cabins, but if it is the deciding facter, go for it. We LOVE our in-hull balcony cabins (we like them better, for some reason, than the deck 11 balconies) but we love the ship more. And I would guess you will have a similar reaction if you go. It is just a great experience and one you will enjoy regardless of the bed you sleep in.

Archived