Taxis in Istanbul

Ahhh, Istanbul. My favorite city in all the world. There will be plenty of cabs; but my only experience w/ cab prices has been between the airport & Sultanahmet. During previous stays, we've used public transport. There is a great tram system that moves between the 2 areas, as well as public bus. We always buy an akbil pass; but the fares are very reasonable. And if you're in good shape & a walker, it's often posted that people walk across the Galata Bridge right into Sultanahmet. Once in the old city area, walking is advisable. It's also a good way to observe every day life. For your sake, I hope you have more than just one day. There is just too much to see & do in the greater IST area.

I also suggest (if you haven't already done so) that you check for important tips on the message boards at http://www.tripadvisor.com (click on Turkey, then Istanbul from the pull down menu). And http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com has fabulous info.

Istanbul is a fantastic city. We spent 5 days there last October. A taxi from the port to Sultanahmet is not very much....it is a short ride even in traffic.

If you have time walk Istanbul. We walked from Sultanahmet...over the Galata Bridge....up Istiklal Cadessi to Taksim Square. We also took the public ferry, buses and tram and the famous "tunel" ride. It is an easy city to see on foot. Enjoy!

Taxis from the port to Sultanahmet should only be a few $....I'm guessing about 6-7 Turkish lira or about $5.

Marty

Yes, taxis area readily available at the port. I can't remember what they charged us to go to the Sultanahmet, but it was reasonable.

Istanbul is a wonderful place. Do as the others suggest--get out and walk, although be aware that it's hot and humid, at least in the summer. The mosques are wonderful cool retreats.

Try to see the Suleymaniye mosque, which is not quite as central as the Blue Mosque, but amazing.

Archived