QM 2 - deck 11 cabins

CrusinPaul

Has anyone sailed in these balcony cabins, because in previous posts I read they can have lots of motion. Is this true? I am booked on a caribbean cruise.

Thanks.

Dear Paul,

We did return recently from the QM2 this past Wednesday from a Caribbean trip.

We were in a A2 Category Cabin located on the portside more towards the B Staircase. We were also assigned to the Britannia Restaurant.

During the cruise we did experience a total of 3 1/2 days of motion. A day and a half going down before landing at St Thomas and also 36 hours out of Tortola, heading along the Eastern Seacoast back to Brooklyn, NY.

We got caught in a system that was quite rough with about 10-12 foot waves that caused a inbalance within the ship. On the return trip we experienced between 20-25 foot waves from the Northeastern that effect the coast from upper Bahama's to the Delaware River Inlet for a total of 36 hours. That one was one not to be forgotten.

Seasickness tablets were being given out by the Front Desk like Jelly Beans and others had to stay in their cabins after getting stronger shots from the Medical Center on Deck 1 - Staircase B.

We did feel a certain amount of motion in the cabin and also found it hard to walk along the hallway that complete day. You did have to create a talent for holding on to the wall railing in the hallways of your cabin areas. We even felt the elevators shake with the motion.

The Captain in advance changed course and came closer to land instead of heading directly into the storm. As he said one afternoon in his Noon Report From The Bridge. Imagine us going to the storm directly on this ship no less one even smaller then the QM2. He assured us that we were very lucky to be on the size ship as the QM2 we were on even to experience what was going on outside.

The Britannia Dining Room was worst and many opted to dine in the Kings Court, which is on the Deck 7 Midship. I would not have been to eat that day Breakfast or Lunch in one of the lower restaurants.

We did make due where our cabin was located.

I did not my wife, was effected by seasickness for a number of hours and only had to take one set of tablets till I got better. This was the first time in 10 years that I got seasick.

Usually, the higher deck you are on the more you are apt to feel motion.

We were on deck ten inside cabin first time we were on the ship.

The QM2 is built for the North Atlantic so you will be better off on a ship that size that one of the smaller ones.

Paul...We did the Caribbean last Dec in 11059....loved it up there. We sailed out of Ft Lauderdale thus avoided the potential for rougher weather leaving from NYC. We had a little bit of rough weather the first night and day but I enjoy that so it didn't bother us. Lower down is better in rough weather. When we sail her this Nov we're booked in an obstructed cabin on Deck 8, mainly because of sailing back and forth to NYC. You can't beat the views from up there!

Cheers, Penny

Penny's Affair to Remember QM2 review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

But we'll probably stick to the deck 6 in-hulls from now on, even on carib trips.

It wasn't the motion, which wasn't a problem. It was that deck 11 is too far from the rest of the ship.

You'll often read here that the open balconies are best for warm places and in-hull for crossings. Try both. But your deck 11 should be great for the carib.

>Has anyone sailed in these balcony cabins, because in previous posts I read they can have lots of motion. Is this true? I am booked on a caribbean cruise.

Paul, we are also on Deck 11 for our Caribbean cruise in Decemeber.

When are you cruising?

We live in hurricane alley, but, figured December was actually a good time to cruise.....hurricane season is over by then!

You will get more motion up high. It has never bothered me, but my DW does suffer on occasions........

Storms are unpredictable, we chose the least likely time. We could still hit a storm, 24 hours and most people will find their sea legs!

Any ship in a storm is not a good place to be for anyone! QM2 is probably the best ship on which to suffer this senerio.

In a strong storm the ship is going to be a tough place on any deck.

We booked deck 11 because it is a good place to be in calm waters.....in stormy conditions there is no good place to be on a ship......ask the Captain!

For those of you with Deck 11 cabin experiences, were the beds comfortable? the linens nice?

We have an AB, Port near the B Staircase as well, I've never been sea sick on a cruise before, hoping for the best up there on 11. :)

Thanks

For those of you with Deck 11 cabin experiences, were the beds comfortable? the linens nice?

OMG!

I wanted to take them home with me!

The sheets were scrumptious, the duvet (what the heck IS a duvet anyway!) was marvelous-- Soft silky-feeling, not too heavy, but enough weight to feel snug.

I really wanted to know where I could get these!

Not to worry. You will do fine!

Karie,

who was up there in September

OMG!

I wanted to take them home with me!

The sheets were scrumptious, the duvet (what the heck IS a duvet anyway!) was marvelous-- Soft silky-feeling, not too heavy, but enough weight to feel snug.

I really wanted to know where I could get these!

Not to worry. You will do fine!

Karie,

who was up there in September

Karie,

I cut the label off of the sheet and, when I got home, I went to the web site and also called them. They are only available it vast quantities. I was so disappointed as I loved them too and wanted to order a set. Holland America sells theirs on their web site in individual sets (bottom sheet and duvet cover), and they look very nice but quite pricey.

Aloha,

Patti

That's nice to know, :)

I hear the AA and above categories have upgraded linens so I was wondering about the quality of the A1s, A2s etc... but if you say they were fine, that's good enough for me.

If they got any better they'd be cashemere and mink!

I think you may be referring to the "pilow concierge" (I'm sorry, I picture a Butler standing over your bed all night, white gloves on, holding a pillow,. or ready to fluff yours for you if necessary! <LOL>)

I would be willing to bet a top shelf drink in the Commodore Club that if you were to ask for a particular typre of pillow (those oats things, foam, down, or the magic memory stuff) your steward would bend over backwards to see to it that you got what you asked for. Even in steerage!

Karie,

who slept wonderfully in those sheets, and had trouble even detecting that it was two beds joined together. No sags or bumps anywhere!

I would be willing to bet a top shelf drink in the Commodore Club that if you were to ask for a particular typre of pillow (those oats things, foam, down, or the magic memory stuff) your steward would bend over backwards to see to it that you got what you asked for. Even in steerage!

I'm sure you're right. At least, I hope you are!

Matthew

I think you may be referring to the "pilow concierge"

No Seriously, the AA accommodation description says this

"Staterooms are graced with enhanced amenities including a special invitation to the Grills Captain’s cocktail party, luxurious terry bathrobes, upgraded linens, sparkling wine, and access to our famed Pillow Concierge"

So I am very happy you enjoyed the regular linens on Deck 11

I truly love all this marketing hype!

We were on Deck 11 in Dec. There wasn't anything our steward wouldn't do to ensure our comfort. If I'd asked for a special pillow I have no doubt' I'd have gotten it. As to the "Luxurious" terry robes...well we plain folk in A2's got those too, along with silly slippers. Loved the robe so much I bought one. And some sort of sparkling wine which we gave to our steward when we left. I have to tell you that for the extra money, going to the Grills Captain's cocktail party would not entice me enough to go in AA. And as others have said, the cabins are the same....And I saw the new dining section...really unimpressive.

I'm afraid I am UNDER-WHELMED by the hype.

Cheers, Penny

Penny's Affair to Remember QM2 review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Has anyone sailed in these balcony cabins, because in previous posts I read they can have lots of motion. Is this true? I am booked on a caribbean cruise.

Thanks.

We are also on deck 11 for our cruise next spring, one thing not mentioned as yet is the fact that it's not just about how high up the ship you are(and yes you do get more motion the higher up you are) but also how far forward or aft you are, obviously the nearer the middle of the ship the better to minimise the forward and aft pitching.

Dear Paul, I agree with Yorky. It seemed that being far forward or back had more motion than near midship. I was on Deck 10 near the end of ERNESTO in Sept and I did not find any more motion in my cabin than elsewhere. The balconys on Deck 10 and 11 are fabulous, even in stormy weather. Its great being able to enjoy the ocean experience day and night be it rain or shine. Picture it., 2007, ... morning coffee from room service on your deck at sunrise, enjoying a glass of wine at midnight under the moon and stars from your balcony. unobstructed views of the horizon as far as the eye can see, looking right under the Verrazano Bridge as you pass by,.... safely walking around in your underwear !!! Im so spoiled now so that I will only book on deck 10 or 11. These decks are a distance from the activities ( and I walk slowly with a cane), so you just need to give yourself an extra 10 min to get to your destination. Also, the beds and bedding are extremely comfortable and luxurious in all cabins. You will not regret your cabin selection!!

Archived