Flow Rider question

efan82

Yikes! I was on Freedom but forgot (long story) to do the FlowRider. I saw the back wall was padded, because when you fall you get pushed up the hill by the wave into the wall. I'm not sure if the bottom was padded. But that is a powerful burst of water, and you can get jostled around a good amount! If it were ME, I would not take a chance on something happening in the middle of the ocean! :( Just my opinion, but I saw how some people got beat up by the wave! lol

I did the flow rider back in January on the Freedom, and after I fell, I felt like I had a whiplash for the next four days. Yes, it was fun, but it certainly hurt. I think it all depends on how you land when you fall, but most of us haven't tried the flowrider before and it is very different from surfing in the ocean.

Our family was all over the flow rider including me! The area that you actually ride on is a trampoline. He would not get hurt on the riding part. But every ride ends with the rider losing control and getting pushed against the back wall. The back wall is padded but you are pushed into a pit area that is made out of plastic on the floor. It has holes in it because this is where the water is drained back into the machine. He would definately get bumped here.

When we were on it, we never saw anyone get hurt enough to bleed. I guess it depends on his disorder. If it is a disorder where he just bruises easily, it is worth a shot. If it is a disorder where he will bleed and have difficulty stopping the blood, then NO WAY.

I would suggest you or your husband riding it for a few times to personally evaluate it. I had so much fun. Then you are the ones who knows his disorder best, and you can more easily make a judgement call.

Good luck in your decision. It is so hard on parents sometimes to make the right decision for their kids!:)

Deanna,

Thank you so much for your reply. That really helps a lot. He will make up his own mind, but at least now I know it is something he can do. His problem is if he were to take a blow to the head or abdomen.

Archived