Help! Did I Make a Mistake Booking Denali And McKinley Princess Lodges?

scottam

Since your trip has the Tundra Wilderness tour- this is the BEST tour available with a cruisetour- also with using the train to Fairbanks, you don't leave Denali park until 3:45pm. So you have more time than you think. :)

Make some choices about Talkeetna and you'll be sure to enjoy yourself. :)

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttle_bus.php

Shuttle Bus Reservations

Polychrome 46 Miles One Way, 5 hours Round Trip, Adult: $22.50

Named after the area's multi-colored bluffs, Polychrome Overlook offers spectacular views of the Alaska Range.

Toklat 53 Miles One Way, 6 hours Round Trip, Adult: $22.50

Toklat River is an area of merging glacial rivers and towering cliffs. Dall Sheep are often seen and grizzlies sometimes graze the riverbed’s soapberries.

vtsmap.gif

Thanks for the correct information. I quickly took the info I posted off their 2007 "Shuttle Reservation Schedule" Which is WRONG on Polychrome listing it as 33 miles. Here are the shuttle bus destinations listed for clairfication copied from the NPS site.

POLYCHROME

So named for its' many beautiful colors of rock, Polychrome is an excellent option for visitors arriving at the Park later in the afternoon. Offers outstanding views of the Alaska Range and Polychrome glaciers.

Turnaround: Polychrome Rest Stop, Mile 43

Trip duration: 5 hours

Service: June 1 – August 22, 2007

NPS

Hiking Opportunities near Toklat.....

TOKLAT

A popular destination due to shorter bus trip duration. Excellent hiking and wildlife viewing opportunities, this rest stop is also the location for the interim visitor center while the Eielson Visitor Center is being constructed at Mile 63 (estimated to be completed for the 2008 season).

National Park Service rangers offer interpretive programs and displays, and are available for questions and assistance. There are toilets, a bus dispatch office, and great views of the Toklat River at this stopover.

Turnaround: Toklat River rest stop, Mile 53

Trip duration: 6.5 hours

Service: May 27* – September 13, 2007 * May begin May 20, weather dependent

NPS

A Shuttle Bus on a late August day in Denali.....

FISH CREEK

The additional 10 miles to Fish Creek offers great views and photo opportunities of Denali, as well as increased wildlife viewing possibilities. This is a turnaround point, not a rest stop; there are no facilities. The bus will return to Toklat for a longer break on the return trip.

Turnaround: Fish Creek/Thorofare, Mile 63

Trip duration: 8 hours

Service: June 1 – September 13, 2007

NPS

Near the end of the road.....Wonder Lake and Denali

WONDER LAKE

The journey to Wonder Lake offers extraordinary views of the Alaska Range and Denali (on a clear day!). The road crosses mountain passes and wetland tundra on the way to beautiful Wonder Lake.

Visitors wishing to upgrade Toklat/Fish Creek tickets may do so at the Toklat rest stop at the bus dispatch office on a space-available basis.

Mosquitoes can be plentiful during June and early July, so bring along some insect repellent or headnets. You’ll be glad you did!

Turnaround: Wonder Lake, Mile 85 (south end of the lake)

Trip duration: 11 hours

Service: June 8 – September 13, 2007

Since your trip has the Tundra Wilderness tour- this is the BEST tour available with a cruisetour- also with using the train to Fairbanks, you don't leave Denali park until 3:45pm. So you have more time than you think. :)

Make some choices about Talkeetna and you'll be sure to enjoy yourself. :)

Budget Queen,

Thanks for your input on this subject. A the reassurance of some extra time at Denali! :) I now feel much more prepared to make the most of my time at both Denali and McKinley lodges!

We were interested in Princess' Back Country Wilderness adventure from McKinley - a 9 hour day of hiking and kayaking - but found out it is not available for the time we are there. Any suggestions for a tour operator in Talkeetna that we might try for a similar excursion?

Also, do you know where/how we can find out the McKinley lodge/Talkeetna shuttle schedule so we can plan our afternoon/evening when we arrive there? We're hoping to do an air excurison that afternoon and stay for dinner that evening but don't know how late the shuttles run.

Thanks again!

BQ and Yukon,

Can you recommend a couple of nice, REASONABLE hotels in or around Denali Park to stay?

Do you think we should stay right in the park or outside? We will have a car so driving is not an issue.

We would like to have like a small kitchenette and for sure our own private bathroom.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

A bargain in my opinion with a fridge and microwave is The Denali Park Hotel. I've stayed here several times. In Healy a short drive away from the national park. http://www.denaliparkhotel.com/

Budget Queen,

Thanks for your input on this subject. A the reassurance of some extra time at Denali! :) I now feel much more prepared to make the most of my time at both Denali and McKinley lodges!

We were interested in Princess' Back Country Wilderness adventure from McKinley - a 9 hour day of hiking and kayaking - but found out it is not available for the time we are there. Any suggestions for a tour operator in Talkeetna that we might try for a similar excursion?

Also, do you know where/how we can find out the McKinley lodge/Talkeetna shuttle schedule so we can plan our afternoon/evening when we arrive there? We're hoping to do an air excurison that afternoon and stay for dinner that evening but don't know how late the shuttles run.

Thanks again!

http://www.mahaysriverboat.com/denalialaska-mahay.com/index.htm

Also do you see anything for Beyer's Lake- can kayak there- ok, it's low impact, but can hike around the lake and in the area. Problem would be transportation, unless they have a drop off available?

As for the Princess shuttle schedule, I would call them directly, since they should be opening soon and may have phone service. Even if you only can contact them a day or so ahead, you probably will still be able to put something together. What direction are you going?? If land last, can also call in ports and finalize your plans then.

As for the Princess shuttle schedule, I would call them directly, since they should be opening soon and may have phone service. Even if you only can contact them a day or so ahead, you probably will still be able to put something together. What direction are you going?? If land last, can also call in ports and finalize your plans then.

Budget Queen - Would you advise going ahead and reserving a summit flightseeing tour now before we can know the shuttle schedule, or do you think we can wait until that schedule is known? I don't want to wait too late and miss out on the flightseeing tour, but I also don't want to make a reservation that we have to cancel (and be out $50-60 - the 10 percent cancellation fee) because the shuttle schedule won't work with a summit tour.

Thanks,

Sam

Budget Queen - Would you advise going ahead and reserving a summit flightseeing tour now before we can know the shuttle schedule, or do you think we can wait until that schedule is known? I don't want to wait too late and miss out on the flightseeing tour, but I also don't want to make a reservation that we have to cancel (and be out $50-60 - the 10 percent cancellation fee) because the shuttle schedule won't work with a summit tour.

Thanks,

Sam

You are going mid June??? The McKinley lodge should be open mid May. So you probably can call then and get the shuttle information then book your flight. Before then you might want to contact the two summit vendors and make sure they have space and how much of it?? They likely know the shuttle trends of McKinley Princess as well??

Also do you see anything for Beyer's Lake- can kayak there- ok, it's low impact, but can hike around the lake and in the area. Problem would be transportation, unless they have a drop off available?

I did see a company who offers hikes in the Byers lake area and have inquired about transportation. We are on a Northbound Cruise and the land portion is post cruise so we could check on shuttle timing early on in our trip.

Archived