QM2 ~ advice please?

Melissa Roberts

Hi, this is a question for all you experienced QM2 cruisers out there!

We are taking the QM2 April 16 2008 and cannot decide on Deck 11 - A1 cabin or Deck 12 - AA cabin? Presently we have a hold on an AA cabin as we do prefer the one time dining however we wonder about paying the premium for the one time dining when the cabin size etc looks identical. I wonder if anyone knows if one gets the turn down service in the A1 cabins?

I have been reading past threads and am inclined to phone Cunard tomorrow and change our reservation to an A1 but wondered if we will be making the right choice.

Tbh I think the extra $500 will buy a couple of bottles of my fav pink French champagne ;) !

I do appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on this......thanks :)

Right - my thoughts. Relevant only because I'm in a similar position.

I've booked an A1 guarantee. I'm therefore likely to be upgraded to AA.

I've found out that the area of the dining room is stuck out at the back, and generally thought to be a bad idea.

The extra fare is certainly significant.

The cabin is identical.

There are a number of perks - a (slightly) wider menu and a pillow menu. Oh, and you meet the Captain with First Class passengers rather than steerage.

Single seater dining is, however, and advantage (in my view). You keep the same table companions at lunch, which is good if that's what you would prefer.

Missing the more dramatic views of the Britannia isn't.

So, am I sitting here hoping for an AA upgrade? No. I'm not.

I'd be pleased to be upgraded to the Grills. And I'd be happy to be left as I am. And I'll live with AA if that's what I get. But I won't be seeing it as a good deal.

Matthew

Right - my thoughts. Relevant only because I'm in a similar position.

I've booked an A1 guarantee. I'm therefore likely to be upgraded to AA.

I've found out that the area of the dining room is stuck out at the back, and generally thought to be a bad idea.

The cabin is identical.

There are a number of perks - a (slightly) wider menu and a pillow menu. Oh, and you meet the Captain with First Class passengers rather than steerage.

Single seater dining is, however, and advantage (in my view). You keep the same table companions at lunch, which is good if that's what you would prefer.

Missing the more dramatic views of the Britannia isn't.

So, am I sitting here hoping for an AA upgrade? No. I'm not.

I'd be pleased to be upgraded to the Grills. And I'd be happy to be left as I am. And I'll live with AA if that's what I get. But I won't be seeing it as a good deal.

Matthew

Tks Matthew and yes we are reading from the same page.

If we change back to an A1 cabin we will accept an upgrade however I will add not to an AA cabin as from what I've read on the forum I don't think the sound of the location in the dining room is the nicest!

Tks for your reply.

We're on deck 11 in two weeks. We asked not to be upgraded as we don't want to end up in an AA due to the poor location in the dining room.

There has been another thread on this quite recently.

Hi and tks for your reply :)

If you read my reply to Kindlychap you will see I have said almost the same!

Enjoy your trip in two weeks, hopfully you will post your views on the forum.

I'm not so sold in single seating. If you are at a small table - for 2 say, it is better. However if you are at a large table for 6 or 8 you can have people showing up any time between 7 - 9 - so you are on your starter as your companions are on their dessert - not my idea of relaxed, sophisticated dining - more like a cafeteria!

I'm not so sold in single seating. If you are at a small table - for 2 say, it is better. However if you are at a large table for 6 or 8 you can have people showing up any time between 7 - 9 - so you are on your starter as your companions are on their dessert - not my idea of relaxed, sophisticated dining - more like a cafeteria!

Ohhh right....we were assuming that single seating was how it is say in a restaurant if we just showed up we'd be eating at a table by ourslelves.

The number of times when dining out, after finishing our coffees/liqueurs and the waiter whisks by with a main course for another table, even the smell is quite off putting and so most definately not AA dining for us, that's it decision made. As my husband just said Cunard should pay us to eat that way ;)

Well, I can only base my view on experience. I've done it twice (when my wife and I sail we have our regular table) and both worked well, but differently.

The first crossing, we met together in the bar.

The second, whilst people started at various times, we actually always waited until the table had finished (hence my being late on a couple of occasions in the chart room!) and there was still a group feeling.

However there is always a risk with a table of eight - even though I've been very lucky both times.

Matthew

Four of us are travelling together and eating in Queens Grill. Have just realised we have been assigned a table for 6. I don't want others at our table eating their dessert while we are having our starters - or the other way round. I am surprised that Cunard allows this to happen. Think I will e-mail Cunard and ask them if they can change us to a table for 4.:confused:

Four of us are travelling together and eating in Queens Grill. Have just realised we have been assigned a table for 6. I don't want others at our table eating their dessert while we are having our starters - or the other way round. I am surprised that Cunard allows this to happen. Think I will e-mail Cunard and ask them if they can change us to a table for 4.:confused:

If the idiots ashore won't change it, the Queens Grill Maitre d' certainly will.

Bon appetit,

Paul

Don't let this put you off. Last year I was at a table for eight in Caronia and the first night we all decided together what time we would like to dine and for the rest of the 14 evenings we all showed up at the agreed upon time and then proceeded to close the dining room every evening with our spirited conversations. Wait until the first evening to see who joins you and if they won't agree to a proper time then change. You may meet a very fine couple that otherwise you might miss.

The cabin is identical.

Matthew

You do? Are you sure about that? (I'm not doubting you. I just didn't remember that being mentioned.)

The cabin is identical. They just took the midships ones and made them a more expensive cabin. then they put you in the back of the Britannia in a low-ceilinged area near the kitchen entances, iirc. Much more drab area- None of the grandiloquence of the main Britannia.

No tiers, no Captain's table, no tapestry, no grand chandelier (I don't think!) I am trying to remember if there is a back door there. I think there is on three deck to the rear (Aft) elevators. Can't remember on two deck or what is behind it.

500 simoleans can buy a lot of bubbly or cognac in the Commodore Club, plus a couple of shore excursions or a Hermes scarf or two!

Karie,

who cannot see paying the difference for single seating dining, plus reserved table for breakfast and lunch- which often gives me achance to meet exciting new people, and sometimes we grab fruit and a plate of soemthing from the Kings court and eat out on deck. Al Fresco!

YMMV

When/How do you find out how many people are sitting at your table?

We are travelling with 2 children and I requested a table for 4. I really don't want other cruises to have to sit with children and prefer a table just for our party.

I can't recall where I saw it, but I certainly can recall seeing that as a perk and thinking "big deal".

Having been to a Mauretania version of the do on one trip, there is no difference at all. (Interestingly the Captain, Ian McNaught, recognised us as interlopers when he said that he had noticed we used the balcony a lot!)

Matthew

You do? Are you sure about that? (I'm not doubting you. I just didn't remember that being mentioned.)

From the Cunard site, re: AA Accommodation

Staterooms are graced with enhanced amenities including a special invitation to the Grills Captain’s cocktail party, luxurious terry bathrobes, upgraded linens, sparkling wine, and access to our famed Pillow Concierge.

From the Cunard site, re: AA Accommodation

Staterooms are graced with enhanced amenities including a special invitation to the Grills Captain’s cocktail party, luxurious terry bathrobes, upgraded linens, sparkling wine, and access to our famed Pillow Concierge.

Well, Hmm, Pay 500 bucks to go to a different cocktail party, I cannot conceive of how they could improve on the standard linens. They were simply incredbile. Unless they've taken them out and put sandpaper ones in the lower grades! <LOL>. Like I said, I would be willing to bet if you asked for a particular type of pillow, you would get it, the "luxurious" (standard terry cloth) bathrobe does not fit me, The Sparkling Wine- Hmph! Not even champagne? And I don't like the little mouse hole they shunt you off to for dining!

To me, other than the location of the cabin being amidships, and I actually LIKE having some motion, I cannot see paying the extra for this!

In fact, I have had glass balconies twice. I was scheduled to be in a hull hole last time but upgraded twice, including once at the pier when we checked in. The hull balconies are larger, and honestly, due to the weather, my balcony was all but unusable for most of our cruise and the chair cushions were soaked the whole time. The sheets and duvet, as I said before, were incredible! (and no, I don't sleep on burlap at home! <G>)

Now I am not criticizing anyone to whom this is a worthwhile expenditure. Each to his own! Some people get an inside because they only use the cabin for changing bathing and sleeping. We do love to spend time in the cabin. It's just that for me, the difference between the two is negligible, and I love the main part of the Britannia.

But I am curious as to exactly what the pillow offerings are- Anyone know?

Karie,

whose inquiring mind wants to know!

Bingo! My thoughts exactly. We requested a table for 6 (dine with 2 other couples hopefully). Agreeing a time when everyone should arrive isn't really single seating.....it is just an alternative set seating time!

If you are on a cruise with ports this could be a problem, 7:00pm seating time might be good for sea days, but impossible for some port days. It might be fine for some port days, but not for others. Too many variances to make a group of "new friends" happy all the time.

We decided to go with an A1 on deck 11. You get the same type of cabin, in the same amidships position. We chose second seating which will work for us on all days (sea, port, & port with strenuous excursions).

The other "advantages" really aren't advantages for us. The difference in the dining room location seems to be a huge disadvantage.

Our bottom line was that an A1 was identical to AA except you got a better seat in the Britannia with A1, and Cunard are effectively paying for the wine with the meal via the difference in fares :)

I think Cunard will have a hard time selling AA to seasoned cruisers or rookies like us that do a little research.

We are travelling with 2 children and I requested a table for 4. I really don't want other cruises to have to sit with children and prefer a table just for our party.

If you go onto the cunard website, go onto "voyage personaliser", put in your booking ref. no. and name and all your details will come up. Good luck. I've e-mailed Cunard but waiting for a response.:o

Check your voyage personaliser - I think that it gives an idea there - you have to wait until you're aboard for a final confirmation though.

Check your voyage personaliser - I think that it gives an idea there - you have to wait until you're aboard for a final confirmation though.

Thanks, :)

I booked through an agency, is the Cunard confirmation # a 6 digit #? I tried the personalizer but it says the booking # is not valid.

Maybe I was just fortunate but my experience with large tables and single seating are all positive. Whether it was on the Caronia or in the Grills on the QE2 it always worked out someway or the other.

Sometimes we met in a bar before, or for a private cocktail party on a balcony, or we agreed on a rough time for dinner (like "Tomorrow will be a busy day, coming back from the excursion, we will have dinner later." Or: "What a great show tonight, what about dining earlier?")

Often it just flows naturally. People certainly do not come to the table exactly at the same time but if everybody enjoys a leisurely dinner with a friendly conversation, the first people might take a longer look at the menu or start with the first appetizer and the stewards will make sure the following courses will be in sync. And when there is a bigger gap why not wait with you dessert or you coffee and enjoy the company of your fellow cruisers?

Advantages of single seating are obviously the chance to enhance conversations at breakfast and lunch and, most important, the unrushed atmosphere. Two hours are just too short.

Well, it is a personal decision, I just want to report some positive experience.

Yet, back to the question of AA: In my eyes, too, the price difference is not justified.

Thanks, :)

I booked through an agency, is the Cunard confirmation # a 6 digit #? I tried the personalizer but it says the booking # is not valid.

Our Cunard booking ref. no. is 6 digits - a mix of numbers and letters. Our cruise isn't until Feb. '08 but all our details are there.:o

I must have the wrong # then, I will have to call the agent.

You might not be wrong! Has the agency given you their reference number instead of the Cunard number? If the agency has supplied you with anything that comes from Cunard the number should be on there.

Archived