Transportation to NYC

juniper_99

• 2 months later...
I take Metro North all the time and find it excellent for my NYC travels. I'm on the off peak trains which are not crowded. Key is to pack light, if you can't, then probably your drive in or a direct bus would be more convinent.

Hi Budget Queen,

We read alot from you on our trip to Alaska. We are now wanting to do three days in NYC before the cruise and am now dreading the drive from Va. to NYC and then back. The parking, gas and tolls is crazy. Any suggestions.

We're using Amtrak from Baltimore to Penn Station in Manhattan for our December cruise. We'll shlep our luggage through the terminal, hop in a taxi and head for the port. No issues for us at all. ;)

I am looking at doing the same thing but out of DC or even Quantico, Va. Do you think its a cheaper way to go? Looks like fares will run us about $360 for DC. Does this sound right to you?

How far from train station to terminal?

I am looking at doing the same thing but out of DC or even Quantico, Va. Do you think its a cheaper way to go? Looks like fares will run us about $360 for DC. Does this sound right to you?

How far from train station to terminal?

I took the Acela from DC for a cruise a coulpe years ago -- it was a very quick taxi ride from Penn Station over to the piers, certainly less than 15 minutes.

As far as cost, $360 sounds about right for a non-Acela roundtrip from DC. If it were me, I wouldn't try a regular train from Quantico because I would want to be sure to get a seat -- at least with the Metroliner/Acela, since they start in DC, you know you'll have a seat!

Costwise, though, the cheapest option is a rountrip ticket on the Delta/USAir shuttle to LaGuardia. I've seen roundtrips for as low as $114 this summer.

Hope this helps.

Archived