Transportation to NYC

juniper_99

My husband and I are sailing out of NYC on the Carnival Miracle on 7/14. We live in the New Haven, CT area, and are trying to decide the best way to get to the port.

We tossed around the idea of taking a Metro North train to Grand Central and then a cab to the port, but we don't really want to drag all of our luggage on what can be a pretty crowded train.

It looks like now we will probably drive ourselves, but we would much rather take some kind of a shuttle. Does anybody know of one or another way to get there?

Thanks for all your help!

I'll try and find a link that I saw the other day about a bus transportation to NYC port for Carnival cruiseline. I was interested in it myself, its $75pp round trip. I'm leaving on Oct2 Miracle, going to meet my DD in the city, so it would only be for me and it would be cost effective.

Thank you so much for that information :) Unfortunately, I just checked it out, and it looks like it only goes from the PA & NJ area...

We did call a car service, but quickly decided against it when we heard the price quote!

bajsf...thanks for your help..I'll certainly let you know how the Miracle is...we can't wait!!!

NPK1...yeah, thats what we are trying to decide...we figure the train both ways for 2 plus a taxi will be about $100...we just have to decide if the extra 80 is worth the convenience..

Does anyone else know of any alternative transportation from Southern CT to the port?

Also, for those who have driven to the port in NY...how is the drive? I've never driven in the city before, and am a little nervous.

Thanks!

My DH and I are sailing on the Victory out of NYC in September. We will be in Springfield, MA the week before visiting his family. The only thing I've found is to take Peter Pan Bus into the city and a taxi to the port. I'd be interested if anyone has any other ways to get to the port from MA.

Debbe

I take Metro North all the time and find it excellent for my NYC travels. I'm on the off peak trains which are not crowded. Key is to pack light, if you can't, then probably your drive in or a direct bus would be more convinent.

Also the Merto North from New Haven runs every hour and takes under two hours to Manhattan...probably faster than the bus. I belive off hours its only $14.00 per person each way and the taxi from Grand Central to the Cruise terminal in Manhattan is about $10.00 each way. This significantly less than using Amtrak and it runs much more often.

Also the Merto North from New Haven runs every hour and takes under two hours to Manhattan...probably faster than the bus. I belive off hours its only $14.00 per person each way and the taxi from Grand Central to the Cruise terminal in Manhattan is about than $10.00 each way. This significantly less than using Amtrak and it runs much more often.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

its less if you are a senior and less if yuou buy the tickets in advance on the web

Hi

There is bus transportation they pick up people at the New Haven Train station and bring you directly to the Pier. I went on NCL but there were people from Carnival on too. I have used it twice and enjoy the no hassle traffic.

Dorene

Budget Queen & smeyer418...thanks for the information. If we can pack light enough, this would probably be the best way to go.

Dorene1..do you remember what bus line it was? I looked at Greyhound, and it looks like there is a bus that arrives at around 9 o'clock and one that arrives around 1. I would love it if there was one in between there...I get nervous about traffic.

we drive to Weehawken NJ and park the car and ferry across the river to Manhattan....then we take the bus to the pier..it's just a short ride....

parking at the ferry lot is VERY cheap(like $6 per day when we did this last )....

we are planning to do this again in June....

Marsha

Hi

The name of the bus company I went on in Oct. is Entertainment Tours they picked us up at the New Haven Train Station @ 1-800-310-9900. I plan on using them this year in Aug.

I hope this helps

Dorene

Was just reading and parking is $24 a day...OMG, its ridiculous. Good luck and enjoy the Miracle, report back how it was..Thanks

Actually it's not all -that- bad when you put it in perspective.

Some place in midtown charge $50/day for parking.

Parking at the airports is $30/day for the short-term parking (with no cap) and $15/day for the long-term parking (again with no cap).

And lastly, you are parking in Manhattan, not exactly the land of cheap parking spots.

Thank you so much everyone for your responses.

Doreen1...that is exactly what we are looking for...I found a website for them too. Did you find that the timing worked out like it said? Did you actually end up at the pier at noon?

LOL I'm just down the way from you - Westport.

I'm assuming the ship is going out of the West Side? I worked on Wall Street. The trains will be packed with no seats (literally) pretty much through 9am with morning rush hour.

Take the train anytime after that. Because you are going out of New Haven, you won't have any worries about seats b/c that's where Metro North originates from so the train will be empty.

If you luggage has wheels, you'll be all set. Just a matter of dragging them from Grand Central to the taxi stand right outside.

It'll be cheaper than a car service. Also - A MAJOR PLUS, if there's an accident on I-95 (which there always is, its the Devil's Highway after all), you'll be sitting in traffic plus have to drive through the city to the pier. Where as Metro North - no delays, no traffic, no fuss & muss.

Cassandra..thanks for the tips!

Doreen1...we talked to the people at entertainment tours, and we think that may be the best way to go...just a quick question. It looks like when the cruise is over there will be a few hours wait for the bus to pick us up...did you have that problem? What did you do during that time?

Thanks again!!

Cassandra..thanks for the tips!

Doreen1...we talked to the people at entertainment tours, and we think that may be the best way to go...just a quick question. It looks like when the cruise is over there will be a few hours wait for the bus to pick us up...did you have that problem? What did you do during that time?

Thanks again!!

Hi

Paul and I didnt rush to get off the ship, we took our time. I do not remember what time of year you were going, we waited about 45 min. to an hour but we talked to others and the time really just flew by. I am glad I could help.

Dorene

Hi everyone

does Entertainemt tours pick up as far east as the Ct /RI state line ?? if not does the New Haven train station have long term parking? if so maybe thats the way to go for us too plus we can always go early and get a Frank pepe's pizza lol:D

I'm pretty sure that the Station in New Haven does have long term parking. But I'm not 100% sure... Entertainment Tours does have Providence as one of its stops (Boston, Providence and New Haven are the only 3 stops). You'll want to check out their website, it's enttours.com. Hit the cruise shuttle link, and you'll see all the info come up. Good luck!

Archived