Tux wear questions

ladydawn

I just bought a tux on e-bay for DS (and then to pass to my dad for his cruise - they wear the same size!!) The tux came with a white pleated shirt in a very thin fabric. I also found a black tux shirt in a great fabric. My son was not impressed with the white shirt. So - does he just wear the white shirt for 2 hours and never take the jacket off, or do we get another white shirt? Does it have to be a "tux shirt"? He has a gorgeous white shirt with an embroidered placket covering the buttons down the front. Can he wear something like that? Can he wear a regular white shirt with a tie? Can you wear a tux sans tie? Can you wear a tux sans vest or cumberbund? The vest that came with the tux doesn't have a back - again do you just not ever take the jacket off? Any other hints about wearing a tux I can pass on to the kid?

Thanks

Dawn

How old is your son, where and when is the cruise? Unless the thin shirt is silk (very chic), either get a new tux (pleated) shirt, or he could wear the one of his own you described, unless it is a buttondown collar; that's a fashionista no-no. He could get away with not wearing a tie with the right shirt and one of those collar buttons. Very Brad Pitt but not traditional. Either a vest or a cummerbund is regulation. If he chooses a cummerbund, it is 'pleats up'. Younger (and trimmer) men seem to prefer a vest. Yes, many are backless. The jacket usually stays on. Suspenders instead of a belt (Please, not clip on suspenders!) Hope this helps.

MarkB

I'd leave the jacket on with a backless vest. They are usual with rented tuxes but just don't look as good as the ones with backs that are more common with a purchased tux. You can buy a tux shirt at most department stores as well as formalwear rental shops. The tieless style was popular a few years back and still very much so on young men. The usual bowtie is always classy and very "Bond-James Bond." I'm sure your son will look great and feel special too. If he wants to remove his jacket after dinner, I'd go with the cummerbund. My DH likes to untie his tie later in the evening--I think he enjoys showing off that he ties his own!

Lady Dawn - So you are the one who outbid me on that tux (LOL) I am currently watching some on EBay now.....(Love that ebay). Did you get one from an individual or someone who is selling several? Is it wool or manmade fibers and are you pleased with it? I don't mind taking the chance if its a really good deal.:rolleyes:

while we are on tux questions I have one...

I bought my FI tux on ebay, great tux for great price. It does not have a vest and he'll be wearing the mandarin style shirt (button instead of a tie). If he takes off his jacket should he have a cummerbund or suspenders? They never show the pictures without the jacket so I have no idea whats underneath but I know him and know he's going to take the jacket off. I won't mind so much if I know he is properly attired underneath.

I got the tux on e-bay from Larry the Tux man. He has a whole store - all sizes and accessories. It is a wool,two-button, notchstyle jacket, came with adjustable pants, vest, shirt and cufflink set. I think it was a rental at one time, but it's in great condition. I took it to have it dry-cleaned and pressed.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Dawn

Hi all

My situation with the tux jacket isn't so much for the formal dinners, If he sees everyone else in a jacket he will not want to stick out like a sore thumb..so I'm not to worried there ;)

We are getting married on St Thomas. He didn't want to wear a tux at all but he gave in ...I know he'll keep the jacket on for the service but I also know that before all pictures are, taken the jacket will be off. I don't mind really as long as he's properly attired with cummbun or suspenders. I would hate the majority of my wedding album being him improperly dressed :confused:

Thanks for all the replies ...second wedding and I'm more nervous than the first.

For those of you who caught the right color socks post..I'm the one whose DEXH looked wonderful in his wedding tux until he sat down and had on white tube socks :eek: and there's a picture in my first wedding album of it :eek: :)

My DD got married in a huge wedding in 2001. In all the formal, i.e. posed, photos, SIL kept jacket on. In many of the later,i.e. well-lubricated (!), photos he is sans jacket. The video follows the transformation throughout the evening and is a lot of fun to watch. BTW, the last posed shot in their album is of DH and me: he is still wearing his jacket but his tie is undone and he looks exhausted; I'm standing on the stairs above him with arms around his shoulders and no shoes. One of our favorites. Relax and enjoy your wedding. Best Wishes to you both.

Chicaletta,

Congrats on the upcoming marriage. Relax and enjoy. I guess if he wants to take of the jacket, shoes cummerbund or anything else take it in stride. You can nag him on your 50th anniversary about how he wasn't dressed properly. Have fun, enjoy and live.:):):):):)

Yes, his name is thetuxxman.

Very, very helpful. I orignally ordered the wrong size and it was fixed before it was sent to me. Everything in the correct sizes. Returned my call right away. I would return if I needed anything else.

Dawn

Thanks yous are right. I guess it's wedding jitters now that its 3 months away. No matter what he wears or how he wears it I will be the happiest woman in the world that day :)

But you can believe that on the 50th anniversary I'll blow up any improper dressed picture poster size :p

Almost time to book those excursions!!! :D

This Will Be My First Cruise And I Own My Tux With Tails That I Wear To Mardi Gras Balls.i Was Wondering If Anyone Wears Tails And If A Navy Vest And Tie Instead Of White Is Acceptable?

I Dont Really Want To Go And Rent Or Buy Another Or Be Overdressed With Tails.

Thanks

Shannon

this our first cruise. We are going to new england/canada oct 3- 10. My husband absolutely will not wear a tux and will balk at having to take a suit. it took me forever to get him to agree to a cruise. so what do i do about semi-formal and formal nights?

Which line? Some are more ''formal''. Talk him into a dark suit (Navy?) and he could use the jacket with other slacks.

mebbe? I am a formal kinda guy, so this may not be one for me.

MarkB

ps

BTW

Chicaletta it's not "youse" it's "y'all". lol

Archived