Half Moon Cay

BeachTeach

I'm going to book a cruise with Half Moon Cay as one of the stops. I heard this is one of Carnivals private islands. I can't seem to find much more. If you've ever been there I would love to hear about it. What did you do there?

Half Moon Cay is a private island, it's a beach port. They provide lunch and you can use your S&S card for beverages. They have a few little shops, and there was live music playing by the bar, when we were there in 2006. It was really windy, so I am not sure whats on the other side of the island, or what all there is to do. The beach is gorgeous!!

Good Luck & Happy Cruising, Sea YA !!

Half Moon Cay is a private island, it's a beach port. They provide lunch and you can use your S&S card for beverages. They have a few little shops, and there was live music playing by the bar, when we were there in 2006. It was really windy, so I am not sure whats on the other side of the island, or what all there is to do. The beach is gorgeous!!

Good Luck & Happy Cruising, Sea YA !!

Cool! They let you use your S&S card for beverages, what about shops?

Half Moon Cay is a WONDERFUL day! The perfect island for a totally relaxing day. We visited HMC while on a HAL cruise, the Zuiderdam.

Many people like to rent the cabanas for the day (expensive) and they can be purchased as an "excursion" through the Carnival website. I wouldn't pay the price, but those that do think it's great! There are a very limited number of cabanas, so if that's something you'd be interested in, check it out right away!

We had a wonderful time with our little ol' beach towel, so don't feel like you have to spend the extra $$ to enjoy Half Moon Cay. :p

There are a few souvenier shops on the island. Nice thing is that they seem to have some "quality control" over the doo-dads that they sell there, so the shopping, while limited, is more enjoyable.

Half Moon Cay is an absolutely beautiful island. The white powdery sand is unbelievable. This island is exactly what I envision as the perfect private island. I must not be the only one since it is often rated as the best private island in magazines and travel books.

Half Moon Cay just became my favorite stop. We loved Coco Cay and Laberdee which are RC's private places but HMC is better. The beach, sand, water are all cleaner and nicer. My son went on the jet ski tour, 50 minutes, just him and the guide. He said he went over 90 a couple times, he had a blast. Buckets of beer and island drinks ae available on the beach and the bar is centrally located. Food was OK, we had a great time. There was horseback riding and a few other things to do. The island was a Holland America stop and became a Carnival stop when they bought HA.

Hearing all your comments is getting me so excited for my cruise! It's 11 months away...........

I was having a really hard time choosing which cruise and I am so glad I found out more on Half Moon Cay. This sounds amazing!

Is the food free from Carnival?

Hearing all your comments is getting me so excited for my cruise! It's 11 months away...........

I was having a really hard time choosing which cruise and I am so glad I found out more on Half Moon Cay. This sounds amazing!

Is the food free from Carnival?

Yes, the food is free. They have a huge beach BBQ set up, with hamburgers, hotdogs, jerk chicken, and sides. Tip** Eat early as the BBQ lines get really long, really fast. We waited about 45 minutes in line the last (and only)time we were there. The food was very good, though.

This was a stop on our very 1st cruise last June. We loved it! Very beautiful. BBQ isn't to be missed, but don't wait too long, or :eek: poof....like some of these threads, it's gone:p You'll love it. There's a pic of it for my avatar, and more pics we took there in my signature. You'll love it:)

bubbles 1209

I recall reading a post about the type of room you booked (get two windows, L shaped I think) can you remind me what they are called?

And thanks for all the photos of the room, nice to see what we should expect on that boat.

DW & I did not tender to HMC. We watched the crew exercising the life boats instead. One of the tenders lost its steering & ran around in circles off the port side of the ship till another tender was able to push it against the side to let the passengers off. We could see people riding horses, swimming, boating & parasailing. It looked like everyone was having a great time.

I'm going to book a cruise with Half Moon Cay as one of the stops. I heard this is one of Carnivals private islands. I can't seem to find much more. If you've ever been there I would love to hear about it. What did you do there?
Have been on HMC 3 times and it is a great place.....Quiet ...private.....and relaxing......

Here are some pix from someone on the HAL boards who cruises with HAL often.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ziggy638

Go about half way down the page and you will see "HMC & Cabanas"

Hundreds of pics.......:)

Hope this helps......

bubbles 1209

I recall reading a post about the type of room you booked (get two windows, L shaped I think) can you remind me what they are called?

And thanks for all the photos of the room, nice to see what we should expect on that boat.

On here, they are called, the L-shaped cabins. They are on the conquest class ships, on the main deck aft. They are a category 1a in price, but oceanview times 2 in reality;) :) P.S. You're welcome for the photos, but don't expect the scary looking lady whose reflection is in the mirror taking a picture to be there, she'll be home wishing she was on a ship somewhere:p

We went there last Sept. on Carnival Elation. The island is run by Holland America Line, but Carnival does use it sometimes.

We really enjoyed this stop. The beach is the best I have ever seen. The grounds were peaceful and lush.

There was a nice bar-b-q lunch catered, and lots of picnic tables to eat on. The tables are in small shaded areas, each group of 4 tables is separated by tall hedges so you do not feel crowded. It was truly a memorable stop.

There is a small pavilion with music and some shopping, but really there is not much to do but relax. Save the shopping and stuff for other ports and just chill.

We took some crackers in the water and were swarmed by hungry fish. They would eat right out of our hands, and were beautiful to look at. They did not have any teeth to speak of, so it was safe.

Robb,

The BBQ was compliments of the cruise line (at least for HAL) and I've heard for other lines as well. This has been the case for other private islands we've visited (Princess and RCCL).

In fact, the kitchen/buffet service crew can be seen hauling over all the supplies to prepare the BBQ. It's LOTS and LOTS of stuff. You'll see many of the buffet and sometime dining room staff serving ashore.

Don't worry, no flames on this BBQ. :D

Joy

The galleries on webshots of HMC and the cabanas are unbelievable! Appears that most of the beach area is not that crowded? I assume that the further "up" the beach you go that it is quieter? Do you have to pay for chairs? Know that the "shells" are for rent but how much? Appears to be some shaded areas along the beach as well with some trees?

What about restrooms? This place looks incredible! Wow!

Yes the further you go up the beach, the less crowded it is, you actually get to a point where the sign says no chairs allowed beyond this point. No charge for the chairs and no one looking for a tip when you go to move the chairs. Basically they were stacked up and you grabbed what you needed and lined up on the beach. Bathrooms were close by. There is shade and we did not use a clamshell.

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Half Moon Cay just became my favorite stop. We loved Coco Cay and Laberdee which are RC's private places but HMC is better. The beach, sand, water are all cleaner and nicer. My son went on the jet ski tour, 50 minutes, just him and the guide. He said he went over 90 a couple times, he had a blast. Buckets of beer and island drinks ae available on the beach and the bar is centrally located. Food was OK, we had a great time. There was horseback riding and a few other things to do. The island was a Holland America stop and became a Carnival stop when they bought HA.

Since Half Moon Cay is CCL's private island... is the drinking age the same as it is on ship?

Archived