Insurance**How late can you purchase insurance??

Doug&Suzy-Q

I am so confused reading over the insurance options on insuremytrip...:o

I have purchased insurance on every trip we have taken in the past...however...I always made the purchase the same time I made my deposit....this time I did not.

I made my deposit back in November. My cruise is Sept. I have not paid for it in full yet...but I want to purchase insurance once again.

We usually purchase middle of the line price range: $110 for 2 people (Travelguard), primarily for emergency and high cost medical care.

Now...my question:::I see exclusions for pre existing conditions if you Do Not purchase within so many days of your deposit. Does this mean if I purchase this week pre existing conditions are excluded OR does it refer to your full payment:eek:

Please....I have read this over and over...it must not be a senior moment but a senior week;) this time, I just don't get it.

Please help me clear up my confusion....I don't want to make a purchase and not have everything covered....or buy expensive insurance because I missed the deadline.......

Thanks

I am so confused reading over the insurance options on insuremytrip...:o

I have purchased insurance on every trip we have taken in the past...however...I always made the purchase the same time I made my deposit....this time I did not.

I made my deposit back in November. My cruise is Sept. I have not paid for it in full yet...but I want to purchase insurance once again.

We usually purchase middle of the line price range: $110 for 2 people (Travelguard)' date=' primarily for emergency and high cost medical care.[/color']

Now...my question:::I see exclusions for pre existing conditions if you Do Not purchase within so many days of your deposit. Does this mean if I purchase this week pre existing conditions are excluded OR does it refer to your full payment:eek:

Please....I have read this over and over...it must not be a senior moment but a senior week;) this time, I just don't get it.

Please help me clear up my confusion....I don't want to make a purchase and not have everything covered....or buy expensive insurance because I missed the deadline.......

Thanks

There are 2 companies on the website you referenced which have 180 pre-existing condition policies based on purchasing insurance within 24 hours of making the final payment.

Call the help number and they will tell you which 2 companies.

I always buy insurance the day I make final payment. That way, if I cancel before final payment, I don't lose the money I pay for insurance. We don't have any pre-existing conditions, though, so I don't know about that part.

what is the company name of the insurance you can buy the day of final payment i thought they had to be bought within a time frame you put deposit down?? so you make final payment a few weeks before cruise and buy insurance...i have never heard that... or do i just call that company??

The last time I purchased insurance I was told that you can buy it as close as a couple days out. I was mainly worried about hurricanes so if there is one out there and it has already been named, the insurance doesn't cover it. If it hasn't been named, then you are still covered for that one.

As for the pre-existing conditions, not sure about that one.

what is the company name of the insurance you can buy the day of final payment i thought they had to be bought within a time frame you put deposit down?? so you make final payment a few weeks before cruise and buy insurance...i have never heard that... or do i just call that company??

You can compare companies and buy at www.insuremytrip.com. My TA sells Access America and her price and policy limits are slightly better so you should also check with your TA to see what they offer too.

Yes, I buy insurance through one of the companies on insuremytrip.com on the day of final payment. Not always the same company. My biggest reasons for buying insurance are a) the astronomical cost of medical evacuation, if we ever needed it, and b) losing non-refundable money paid for the cruise, if we couldn't go.

The one that I found where it still covers pre-existing conditions as long as you purchase it 24 hours before final payment is by CSA and is the travel luxe edition. You will have to go to insuremytrip.com to get the exact name but you will see what I am referring to, and you can take a look at the policy before you buy it. It is one of only three policies that I found that still covers pre-existing when you don't purchase insuranse as sooon as you put your deposit down!

Well, I made final payment a month ago, and am thinking about getting cruise insurance in case of hurricane/unforseen circumstances that prevent our making the cruise.

We are sailing June 9th...(and I know hurricanes are usually August/September)...these days all bets are off.

Is there a problem securing insurance this close to sail-away?

Medical evacuation is why we get insurance, don't want a $20 to $30 thousand bill if we would ever need it. So far 3 different times somebody on one of our cruises needed it. Thats when we found out the price. Most travel insurances cover $50 to $100 thousand just for medevac. You just never know these days.

Well, I made final payment a month ago, and am thinking about getting cruise insurance in case of hurricane/unforseen circumstances that prevent our making the cruise.

We are sailing June 9th...(and I know hurricanes are usually August/September)...these days all bets are off.

Is there a problem securing insurance this close to sail-away?

No there is no problem getting insurance for your cruise in June.

Bill

My dad has a pre existing condition, (heart diseases) If he would pass away and we would cancel our cruise, If it was determined that he died from a heart issue it could be considered pre existing and I would not be reimbursed for my trip. That why I said pre existing covers other people than just those that are traveling.

I think a lot of young people say, we are healthy and don’t need it (me) and forget other that might get sick that could cause you to cancel or fly back early.

Thanks everyone....You can always count on CC for answers:D

Not to many years ago, we bought BCBS private insurance. On the application you list your meds. My DH takes 25mg of blood pressure meds.

Nothing else....I take nothing...

Don't you know they excluded anything and everything related to his blood pressure..........welllll duhhhhh......that's why we buy insurance..

Needless to say, I was not happy...........

So....that is why I am concerned about purchasing travel insurance and not having the coverage I thought I was buying:eek: They mess you over one time....from there on out you are very careful.

Just like Midnightbuffet.....is the reason we purchase insurance....

I usually buy the Travelex lite policy. I'm sure it is different with each company but my understanding with Travelex is that a pre-existing condition is anything you have seen the Dr. for 90 days prior to your cruise. You have 21 days to purchase to have this covered after you make your deposit. If you are over 21 days and you really want pre-existing conditions covered you could try cancelling and rebooking your cruise. I did this with my last cruise on RCCL and I did have to talk with 3 different people before they understood what I was asking, but they did change my booking date and it was well before final payment so there were no penalties. Since the price was the same it didn't make much of a difference. I wouldn't suggest going throught the hassle unless you have a medical condition. I really wanted the extra coverage as my daughter has asthma and allergies. I've purchased Travelex 3 times but have never needed to file a claim and I hope if I ever do they cover it quickly and without problems.

My dad has a pre existing condition, (heart diseases) If he would pass away and we would cancel our cruise, If it was determined that he died from a heart issue it could be considered pre existing and I would not be reimbursed for my trip. That why I said pre existing covers other people than just those that are traveling.

I think a lot of young people say, we are healthy and don’t need it (me) and forget other that might get sick that could cause you to cancel or fly back early.

As to this earlier post, pre-existing conditions are for medical problems of the insured not a family member. Although most policies would cover trip cancellation due to a father's death.

Thanks everyone....You can always count on CC for answers:D

Not to many years ago' date=' we bought BCBS private insurance. On the application you list your meds. My DH takes 25mg of blood pressure meds.[/color']

Nothing else....I take nothing...

Don't you know they excluded anything and everything related to his blood pressure..........welllll duhhhhh......that's why we buy insurance..

Needless to say, I was not happy...........

So....that is why I am concerned about purchasing travel insurance and not having the coverage I thought I was buying:eek: They mess you over one time....from there on out you are very careful.

Just like Midnightbuffet.....is the reason we purchase insurance....

With the 2 companies which use final payment date, the pre-existing time period is 180 days (6 months) for both.

Archived