We are booked to go to ....

golfer1966

Alaska the first week of September. We are taking our Mothers and the more we read, the weather sounds like it is very iffy and could be cold. Is there a time of year that it may not be so cold and rainy. My DW feels the cold could really affect her Mom, but we really want to visit Alaska since we hear some many wonderful things about it. When we booked it, we were so excited about taking them that we didnt think of the weather at the time, so maybe we can change.

Your advice please....

i was there last sept (17 to 24). it wasn't that cold. it's not the temps, it's the dampness in the air. for cruising glacier bay the temps were in the high 50s. other days the average was about mid 50s. during a little bad weather the temps dropped to high 40s.

on the ship, after the sun went down..if you went outside..it colder. wind chill with the movement of the ship.

in that area you just can't tell. the week before we went they had beautiful weather. all auguest (last year) they had major rain. this year...who can tell.

temps on the ship are usually comfortable, you can set the room to whatever you want. carry a light sweater or jacket for on the ship in the evening.

for glacier viewing you can use a lounge. the ships usually turn a lounge into a viewing area, non-smoking. made it nice for my FIL, he got to see and stay warm. dress your moms in layer, keep some gloves and something for their ears...just in case. (windchill)

i was there last sept (17 to 24). it wasn't that cold. it's not the temps, it's the dampness in the air. for cruising glacier bay the temps were in the high 50s. other days the average was about mid 50s. during a little bad weather the temps dropped to high 40s.

on the ship, after the sun went down..if you went outside..it colder. wind chill with the movement of the ship.

in that area you just can't tell. the week before we went they had beautiful weather. all auguest (last year) they had major rain. this year...who can tell.

temps on the ship are usually comfortable, you can set the room to whatever you want. carry a light sweater or jacket for on the ship in the evening.

for glacier viewing you can use a lounge. the ships usually turn a lounge into a viewing area, non-smoking. made it nice for my FIL, he got to see and stay warm. dress your moms in layer, keep some gloves and something for their ears...just in case. (windchill)

try to avoid the head-wind while boat is sailing. That will help alot.

The best weather for cruising Alaska is usually late May through June. After early July, it tends to get overcast and rainy more often than not. Of course, weather up here is very unpredictable so follow the advice to plan and dress in layers.

We are in Alaska EVERY year on Labor Day (business and fishing). We usually stay until about the 10-15th of September. Maybe we are just lucky, but other than fog and light showers, I think it is a spectacular time to visit Alaska. Most of the tourists have left, the bargains in the stores are great, and the fall scenery couldn't be any better.

It can be cool (40's) and it can rain. But my experience usually indicates fantastic weather. Dress in layers. You will be fine. And the Mom's will love it!!!

We are in Alaska EVERY year on Labor Day (business and fishing). We usually stay until about the 10-15th of September. Maybe we are just lucky, but other than fog and light showers, I think it is a spectacular time to visit Alaska. Most of the tourists have left, the bargains in the stores are great, and the fall scenery couldn't be any better.

It can be cool (40's) and it can rain. But my experience usually indicates fantastic weather. Dress in layers. You will be fine. And the Mom's will love it!!!

I know you spend a lot of time in Homer, but is this timeframe Inside Passage???

Reason I mention it, I've found interior Alaska FAR better weather wise in Sept. compared to the Inside Passage of the cruise ship sailings.

I know you spend a lot of time in Homer, but is this timeframe Inside Passage???

Reason I mention it, I've found interior Alaska FAR better weather wise in Sept. compared to the Inside Passage of the cruise ship sailings.

I fly to Juneau and Ketchikan at least once during that time frame every year. We have employees in those areas and early September is time to close out the fish shipping for the year. It may be a little more rainy and a little cooler, but nothing that you can't get any place else in Alaska during the same time frame. AFTER September 15, it can get downright cold. But first week in September-I think it is one of the best times in Alaska.

Heck, Ketchikan averages what??? 280 days of rain and the average temperature is something like 43 year round. Not a lot of difference between July and September. Homer gets MUCH colder MUCH earlier than the Inside passage.

Archived