Novice cruiser needs info.....

grambear

Hi...I am hoping to get some information from veteran cruisers....My husband & I went on our first cruise in Nov (2006).....We sailed on RCCL Jewel of the Seas & absolutely loved it....It took years to get hubby to agree to a cruise....He always told me "I spent too much time on ships while in the Navy"....Needless to say, we had a wonderful trip....We have booked our 2nd cruise for Nov of this year (2007).....We are flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles, boarding the Radiance of the Seas for a 2 week trip thru the Panama Canal....Our cruise will end at Ft. Lauderdale....My question is:

How far from LAX is the cruise ship pier & since we'll be spending 2 nights there before boarding the ship, can anyone reccomend a hotel...nice and also convenient in location??....Would appreciate any info you would provide....Thanx, Grambear

LAX to the San Pedro cruise dock is about 20 - 25 miles (I have driven it several times, but don't recall which is right, 20 or 25 miles). San Pedro is sort of industrial, so I would recommend Long Beach as a place to stay. Long Beach is about 10 - 15 minutes away ...

LAharborarea.jpg

Some people like the Crown Plaza hotel in San Pedro ...

SanPedrowithhotel.jpg

I think the hotels in Long Beach are in a nicer area ...

IMGP0156.jpg

Hi...I am hoping to get some information from veteran cruisers....My husband & I went on our first cruise in Nov (2006).....We sailed on RCCL Jewel of the Seas & absolutely loved it....It took years to get hubby to agree to a cruise....He always told me "I spent too much time on ships while in the Navy"....Needless to say, we had a wonderful trip....We have booked our 2nd cruise for Nov of this year (2007).....We are flying from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles, boarding the Radiance of the Seas for a 2 week trip thru the Panama Canal....Our cruise will end at Ft. Lauderdale....My question is:

How far from LAX is the cruise ship pier & since we'll be spending 2 nights there before boarding the ship, can anyone reccomend a hotel...nice and also convenient in location??....Would appreciate any info you would provide....Thanx, Grambear

Grambear,

It's virtually precisely 20 miles from LAX to the pier in San Pedro...But it can be a long 20 miles depending on traffic and time of day and day of the week...

With two days, you have some choices...it all depends on what you want to do and see in those two days...If you are intent on touring Los Angeles' tourist landmarks (ie. Rodeo Drive, Venice Beach Boardwalk, Getty Center, Grauman's Chinese Theater, Walk of Fame, TV and movie studios, etc.), ALL of those are considerably north of the harbor (and north of LAX--while the harbor is South of LAX. Los Angeles is a very big place). But you can also get a tour up there from Long Beach if you want...OR...

If you just want to relax for a couple of nights prior to boarding the ship, then, I, like Cuizer, recommend downtown Long Beach. San Pedro is okay for a quick overnight and right onto the ship...but there's a little more to do and it's a little nicer to be in Long Beach...bigger selection of nicer hotels, lots of nice restaurants and shopping and also an attraction or two (Queen Maty, Aquarium of the Pacific). and Long Beach has a free shuttle to take you around the Long Beach area...Stay at one of the Convention Center area hotels (like that Hyatt in Cuizer's Photo...or the Courtyard or the Renaissance or the Westin--that's the Westin in back of the Hyatt in the photo...and off to the left a little...or a few blocks away from those, the Hilton or the Coast)...Stroll around Shoreline Village and eat dinner at Parker's Lighthouse...

The pier will be about a six-mile taxi ride from here...

Good luck...

Archived