Advice for Athens on own

We will be in Athens on September 23, 2004 for the day. We would like to try to tour the city on our own. The Acroplolis, Plaka, and perhaps some other points on interest that anyone might suggest. How feasable is this or do you recommend ship tour/private tour.

Athens is absolutely do-able on your own. Take the train from the port into the city -- I think it's the Monasteraki stop -- the Plaka is right next to it and the Acropolis is walkable from there.

I agree. Athens is a very easy city to get around. Most places are quite close together and the Greeks are very friendly if you get stuck. Have a great time. We will be there for a couple of days before our cruise in October.

Jennie

P.S. Don't forget the changing of the guard, every hour on the hour at Syntagma Square. It's better than in London. Get a good street map of central Athens -- there are many travel books in the Library which have maps you can photo copy, then highlight the sights you want to see and the nearest Metro stations. Lou

Lauckland--Please join us on the Celebrity roll call page. Look under the sailing date/ship. We have an awesome group, and there are others that want to do Athens. If you need more info about any part of the cruise let me know. You can e-mail me: ffldelec@aol.com Did you register for the CC party? Hope you did!Missyal

I have been to Athens twice, the last time only a few weeks ago.For what it is worth, yes you can do Athens on your own. But you will probably see more in your limited time if you use the ship's tour and you will see a LOT more of what you want to see if you take a good private tour. We used Spiros the taxi driver (whose pros and cons you can read a lot about on this board) and were very satisfied. The tradeoff obviously is between the higher cost of the private tour and the efficiency and peace of mind that comes with it. In Athens I happen to think the tradeoff for the guide is worth it. But the other posters are correct that you can physically do it on your own and that the people of Athens are so nice and helpful that you would probably feel comfortable in doing so. Good luck! Athens is a wonderful city and I know you will enjoy it.

Archived