When was the moment you knew you were a cruiser for life?

Crzr4Lyf

I took my first cruise this past January. I knew I was going to have a great time but that was an understatement. The idea of not having to worry about ANYTHING for seven days. But the first sunrise at sea from my balcony cinched it. Now I'm going through with drawls and ready to book another 7 day. :)

I really knew I loved cruising when our ship was sent to a port that was not used to having cruise ships and the towns people came out to look at the ship. When we got off we joined the towns people just starring at that awesome ship. I couldn't believe that we were on it for a week. I just felt so blessed.

I also love that time with my husband. Love exploring with him new ships and new places. I love the anticipation the best.

The afternoon I spent entirely alone on the QE2 when I was 11. I watched "Day of the Jackal" twice, went up to visit my brother in the nursery about ten times, and basically just cruised the entire ship (as kids will do). I thought: this is the coolest thing I have every been allowed to do.

Don't flame me for being 11 and unsupervised! That was 1974 and the statute of limitations for scoldings has run out ;) .

the moment I was hooked....

2nd early morning of first cruise....standing barefoot on the balcony in just my nightgown....warm cup of cofee in hand...cool morning breeze gently playing with my hair...smelling the sea air and the pungent smoke from the fires the mysterious islanders used to cook their food...watching the strange tropical birds fly along side the ship...as we gently and silently glided into the port....and thinking "how Freaking COOL is this!!" I knew at that moment I was hooked for life :)

The afternoon I spent entirely alone on the QE2 when I was 11. I watched "Day of the Jackal" twice, went up to visit my brother in the nursery about ten times, and basically just cruised the entire ship (as kids will do). I thought: this is the coolest thing I have every been allowed to do.

Don't flame me for being 11 and unsupervised! That was 1974 and the statute of limitations for scoldings has run out ;) .

Good grief, why didn't you go on the bridge and help drive the ship? :confused: You missed your chance, they will not allow you to do that anymore, unless you have a camera crew in tow, or your uncle is the captain, or your dad is the cruise line's CEO.

I have watched this thread for many days now, and sorting out what my situation is/was.

The question can be taken two ways --

1) when did you first fall in love with the sea?

2) when did you first fall in love with sailing on commerical cruise lines?

The distinction is profound. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon coasts). I had "been at sea" many times as a youngster and teenager, but that meant day trips on the Pacific, returning to home port before dark. The day I discovered a life-long love of the sea was when I was 16 (the summer Neil Armstrong made his famous statement). I had thought it might be possible I had succumbed to the sea when I returned on a salmon-fishing charter, as a deck hand, and we emerged from the ever-present fog-bank to see the sunlit shore: it reminded me of the end of Tolkein's "Lord of the Rings" which I had just finished reading, where Frodo arrives at last at Elvenhome.

I was sure a few weeks later when the commerical fisher I had signed onto as a summer deck hand entered Ketchikan at dawn. It was then I understood that I had heard the call of the sea. Those who have heard it know what I mean; those who have not wonder what I'm talking about. It is imperative; it is haunting; it never leaves but only retreats, at times, to the background, yet it is ever-present. It connects me to those who sailed with Hanno, or Hudson, or Halsey.

It will probably not surprise you to learn that I am retired from the U.S. Navy after nearly 30 years of service. Some select their careers; others are called.

That may somewhat explain what I feel when I sail upon the seas. Yet, there is the question of the time I discovered commerical cruise lines. Again, no surprise, it was DW who convinced me to take a 3-day, with the arguments that I would not have to stand the watch, take on stores or go to battle stations. The clincher was her argument that the roommates on a cruise line were much prettier and friendlier. So, we went, and I was hooked. I could indulge my love of the sea with my love of being pampered. We have sailed often since.

Dave

I have watched this thread for many days now, and sorting out what my situation is/was.

The question can be taken two ways --

1) when did you first fall in love with the sea?

2) when did you first fall in love with sailing on commerical cruise lines?

The distinction is profound. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon coasts). I had "been at sea" many times as a youngster and teenager, but that meant day trips on the Pacific, returning to home port before dark. The day I discovered a life-long love of the sea was when I was 16 (the summer Neil Armstrong made his famous statement). I had thought it might be possible I had succumbed to the sea when I returned on a salmon-fishing charter, as a deck hand, and we emerged from the ever-present fog-bank to see the sunlit shore: it reminded me of the end of Tolkein's "Lord of the Rings" which I had just finished reading, where Frodo arrives at last at Elvenhome.

I was sure a few weeks later when the commerical fisher I had signed onto as a summer deck hand entered Ketchikan at dawn. It was then I understood that I had heard the call of the sea. Those who have heard it know what I mean; those who have not wonder what I'm talking about. It is imperative; it is haunting; it never leaves but only retreats, at times, to the background, yet it is ever-present. It connects me to those who sailed with Hanno, or Hudson, or Halsey.

It will probably not surprise you to learn that I am retired from the U.S. Navy after nearly 30 years of service. Some select their careers; others are called.

That may somewhat explain what I feel when I sail upon the seas. Yet, there is the question of the time I discovered commerical cruise lines. Again, no surprise, it was DW who convinced me to take a 3-day, with the arguments that I would not have to stand the watch, take on stores or go to battle stations. The clincher was her argument that the roommates on a cruise line were much prettier and friendlier. So, we went, and I was hooked. I could indulge my love of the sea with my love of being pampered. We have sailed often since.

Dave

Dave

That was truly poetic. I too have heard the call of the sea and I do, in fact know exactly what you mean.

Archived