Enough Time to Get to Ship?

debster818

I don't know for sure, but I certainly wouldn't cut it that close. That leaves absolutely NO time for any mishaps (delayed flight, lost luggage, weather, etc). If the airline changed your times, then call them and tell them that you can't work the new time with your schedule. I don't know if all airlines do it, but American will change it for you, at no extra cost, if they're the ones that changed it originally.

Good luck!

This ship leaves at 4:00. We are supposed to be on board by 3:00. Will they give us some extra time if we are not leaving until 4:00?

You actually have to be checked in by 3:30, so that's an extra 30 minutes.

Also pulled this from the Carnival site:

Carnival’s Travel Hotline

If you are experiencing a travel delay en route to the ship or returning home after your voyage, call our travel hotline at 1-877-TVL-HTLN (1-877-885-4856) or 1-305-406-4779. Our representatives are on call to assist you with any question or travel emergency, 24 hours a day.

spacer.gif

Airline Delays

Experienced travelers know that air travel schedules can be affected by a number of factors. If your flight arrives at your ship’s home port after the ship’s scheduled sailing time due to weather or mechanical problems, contact Carnival’s Travel Hotline, 1-800-327-9501 and/or a supervisor at the airline’s ticket counter for assistance in securing hotel accommodations and flight arrangements to your ship’s next destination. If the airline is unable to secure hotel accommodations, the following hotels will offer a preferential rate. Please call prior to arrival at the hotel for reservations and identify yourself as a Carnival guest.

Here's the problem.....Airline tickets were free. They are promotional and Z class. There only certain flights available for this Z class. There was not anything earlier and we didn't think about coming in the night before. I will call the airline tomorrow and see if we can change to a flight the night before, but it is this whole Z class thing. Maybe since we are leaving on Thursday, they may want to fill seats on the night before flight. I called the travel hot line and was told that we have until 3:30 to get on the ship.....so that actually gives us 2 hours if we land at 1:30. I was ok with this until my husband started freakin out.

Actually, we flew 2 days before our cruise just to hang out in orlando. I'm glad we decided not to fly the same day because my husband luggage got lost with the airline and they did not delivery it until the next day during the afternoon. Anything could happen. Like everyone else says, it saves you some worry. Hopefully, the airline can change your flights.

Here's the problem.....Airline tickets were free. They are promotional and Z class. There only certain flights available for this Z class. There was not anything earlier and we didn't think about coming in the night before. I will call the airline tomorrow and see if we can change to a flight the night before, but it is this whole Z class thing. Maybe since we are leaving on Thursday, they may want to fill seats on the night before flight. I called the travel hot line and was told that we have until 3:30 to get on the ship.....so that actually gives us 2 hours if we land at 1:30. I was ok with this until my husband started freakin out.

On my first Carnival cruise we bought cruiseline air. They had us on a flight getting in 2:30 (was suppose to be 2 but we had to de-ice) and it was 3:30 when we got on the ship leaving at 4.

If they changed your time more than two hour you can call the airline and have them put you on a earlier flight. I had mine changed once and when I told them the new time was not exceptable because I was meeting a cruise ship, I was offer a earlier flight or even the day before as it was thier change.

If you can't change your flight, try to relax. Flying in early is always a good thing to do, but not always feasible. Two hours should give you plenty of time to get to the pier. Try a few tricks to move you quickly through the airport once you have landed. Ask for seats closer to the front of the plane so you can get off quickly. Use bright tags or ribbon so you can spot your luggage on the conveyor belt. Keep carryon items organized so you can move swiftly with nothing left behind (including the kids!) Know where to meet your transportation to the pier. Have the important cruise, travel agent and/or insurer's number(s) programmed into your cell phone (and use them if you haven't left the airport by 3:00 PM.)

Good luck, and happy sails! :)

Even if you have to incur a minor fee, I would definitely change the ticket to the previous day. I would never be able to handle a flight that lands that close to the end of boarding time. Leaving it in the airlines hands would absolutely make me insane. But that's just me.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Yes, if your flight gets in on time, or just a little late, no problem...BUT...I really think you need to consider the worst case scenarios...the plane is late, by a few hours...or the flight gets cancelled..then what??? Is it really worth it to start off your relaxing cruise vacation being on pins and needles, worrying the whole time. I've been in situations like this before and let me tell you, it's not pretty at all and no fun at all either.

Good luck, with whatever decision you make!!!

Not to scare you even more, but you should read this post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=542412

That said, everything may turn out just fine.

In the future, consider flying out the day before if possible. It's worth the one night of hotel fees to keep the blood pressure down and the ulcers at bay.

Good Luck!!!!

Unable to get the flight changed....now I am worried. I called the shuttle service and they said if we land in time we will have plenty of time to get to the ship. Weather is supposed to be good in Chicago and in Jacksonville. Didn't check our stop in Atlanta. I guess we will just have to keep our fingers crossed and pray alot.

If you're extremely worried about it you might want to purchase new tickets. You said these were free, so you wouldn't be out any money on those. I know it's an added cost but the reassurance you'd get knowing you'd be there the night before might be worth it. Otherwise.......make sure you have insurance that covers the cruise and airfare.

Like bkw67 said.......let us know how it turns out! Our fingers are crossed for you. :)

Well, after reading everyone's comments and talking to Carnival (they told us that we HAVE to be on the ship by 3:00 or we can't get on) we decided to pay the extra cost and re-book the airline tickets. Then we had to book a room for the night and also another day of parking in Chicago. So, we arrive in Jacksonville around midnight. Now we will get a good nights sleep not worrying about getting on the ship a 3:00. We have not cruised since our honeymoon and that was 23 years ago so we did not even think about delays and such. Thanks to everyone for your input and very SOON we will be drinking our first cruise drink and just think.....we can get on the ship when boarding starts!!!!!

Archived