Enough Time to Get to Ship?

debster818

debster818, although I know you've incurred some costs that you weren't expecting...I think you're going to end up being more relaxed now. Don't give any of this a second thought now that you've fixed it. Get on that ship, get a foo foo drink and relax! :D Let us know how your cruise was when you return!

Have fun!

Debster,

Don't know if you are flying out of O'Hare or Midway... but if it's O'Hare... use the long term parking (remote lot). Much cheaper, and there is a tram that takes you too your terminal.

Have a great time on your cruise!!!!!

You actually have to be checked in by 3:30, so that's an extra 30 minutes.

Also pulled this from the Carnival site:

Carnival’s Travel Hotline

If you are experiencing a travel delay en route to the ship or returning home after your voyage, call our travel hotline at 1-877-TVL-HTLN (1-877-885-4856) or 1-305-406-4779. Our representatives are on call to assist you with any question or travel emergency, 24 hours a day.

spacer.gif

Airline Delays

Experienced travelers know that air travel schedules can be affected by a number of factors. If your flight arrives at your ship’s home port after the ship’s scheduled sailing time due to weather or mechanical problems, contact Carnival’s Travel Hotline, 1-800-327-9501 and/or a supervisor at the airline’s ticket counter for assistance in securing hotel accommodations and flight arrangements to your ship’s next destination. If the airline is unable to secure hotel accommodations, the following hotels will offer a preferential rate. Please call prior to arrival at the hotel for reservations and identify yourself as a Carnival guest.

This normally only applies to those that purchase their air through carnival.

bkw67 - We are unfortunately flying out of Midway. O'Hare is so much closer to Bensenville. We have a place that we have used several times and we are getting 2 free days to park......so we only have to pay for 4 days. Can't wait to start our vacation.....just have to get through almost a full day at work and then we are off. Thanks for everything.....that goes to everyone

Glad you changed your plans.

I was worried for you in your recent post that said you had a stop in Atlanta.

I loathe the Atlanta airport and have yet to have a flight leave on time from it.

The original 1:30pm arrival would have driven me crazy. Now you'll have peace of mind.

Have a great trip.

Well, after reading everyone's comments and talking to Carnival (they told us that we HAVE to be on the ship by 3:00 or we can't get on) we decided to pay the extra cost and re-book the airline tickets. Then we had to book a room for the night and also another day of parking in Chicago. So, we arrive in Jacksonville around midnight. Now we will get a good nights sleep not worrying about getting on the ship a 3:00. We have not cruised since our honeymoon and that was 23 years ago so we did not even think about delays and such. Thanks to everyone for your input and very SOON we will be drinking our first cruise drink and just think.....we can get on the ship when boarding starts!!!!!

not to be the glass half empty person, but if there is a problem w/ that flight that arrives at midnight, is the only other alternative the earliest flight in the a.m. which you cld not get? if so, why did you do that? since you are paying for hotel and parking anyway (which is so worth it for peace of mind), cld you have not taken an early flight in the day?

i think when flying in the day b/4, you need to fly at a time where there is a cushion of at least one or more flights on your carrier or others, for it to make any sense at all.

good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

The only other flight out of Midway before the early morning flight was a flight leaving Midway at 7:30 pm, changing planes in Atlanta then arriving Jacksonville around midnight. We will have 12-13 hours after our said arrival into Jacksonville before we have to get to port. That should be plenty of time. My husband and I could not take another whole day off of work, so a few hours off of work is ok. So, there is the rest of the story.

not to be the glass half empty person, but if there is a problem w/ that flight that arrives at midnight, is the only other alternative the earliest flight in the a.m. which you cld not get? if so, why did you do that? since you are paying for hotel and parking anyway (which is so worth it for peace of mind), cld you have not taken an early flight in the day?

i think when flying in the day b/4, you need to fly at a time where there is a cushion of at least one or more flights on your carrier or others, for it to make any sense at all.

good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Don't worry about the "worry worts"

This flight will work out fine.

The only other flight out of Midway before the early morning flight was a flight leaving Midway at 7:30 pm, changing planes in Atlanta then arriving Jacksonville around midnight. We will have 12-13 hours after our said arrival into Jacksonville before we have to get to port. That should be plenty of time. My husband and I could not take another whole day off of work, so a few hours off of work is ok. So, there is the rest of the story.

i think you misunderstood my post. my post wasn't about having more time in jacksonville (well, not really, anyway, b/c technically you wld if you got an earlier flight w/ cushion time). rather it was about scheduling the earlier flight with other flights in between that and your original flight so you wld have that cushion if something happened to the one you are scheduled on. if there is no other flight in between your scheduled one and the one arriving at 1:30, re-booking to this flight won't help you if there is a problem. But, it's done, so we'll think positive. you'll be okay.

Don't worry about the "worry worts"

This flight will work out fine.

it's not a "worry wart." you're not getting it, or maybe i'm not. rescheduling to a flight where ther is no option is a waste of time and $. reschedule to avoid the problem, or don't bother to reschedule at all -- it makes no sense (unless, of course, you live close enough to drive w/in that time). what's missing here, lizard?:confused:

Makes sense to me debster! I'm glad you got things changed to suit you. You're going to have a blast! Have a drink for me! ;)

It is just how you look at it. You NEVER have full guarantee that you will get there in time. And if they out and out cancel the flight, you are right... there are fewer options (though still not impossible).

However if this flight is delayed for an hour or two... they just arrive late that night (I've had that happen frequently). With the day of flight, if it's delayed for any reason... they miss the ship :eek: .

It is just how you look at it. You NEVER have full guarantee that you will get there in time. And if they out and out cancel the flight, you are right... there are fewer options (though still not impossible).

However if this flight is delayed for an hour or two... they just arrive late that night (I've had that happen frequently). With the day of flight, if it's delayed for any reason... they miss the ship :eek: .

this is so very true. depending upon when you are flying you might have some temporary delays due to ground to lightening strikes, etc., but still get there in plenty of time. you cld also book your flights 2 days before, and still get cancelled w/ no available seats on any of the gazillion flights scheduled to leave within that 2 day period (like what happened to us during the valentine's day storm).

thankfully, we had enough time to do the 20+ hr drive. but, we had that luxury of time b/c it was booked 2 days b/4, and consequently, got the cancellation and unavailablity news 2 days b/4.

Archived