within walking distance of st thomas port

missholly24

Our cruise is in December, trying to research a beach or something to do within walking distance of St Thomas port. We will have our 1 year old, no carseat, just stroller. Not willing to risk ride in cab. St Maarten has water taxi. Is their anything like that in St Thomas?? Thanks for any suggestions.

The tram ride to Paradise Point or whatever that lookout is called is literally a two minute walk from the Haversight Pier. Shops, bird show, hike and great views. Someone else may give you the exact name or websight but if you look into the excursions on your ship it is probably on there. Do it yourself because it is cheaper, just do the research on your ships sight.

Other than that tram ride, I don't remember much near the pier. There's a little mall there, but that's not much for sightseeing. I haven't been there in years, though, so things may have changed.

D

I've been to St. Thomas several times with kids and you're right, we didn't want to risk the taxis either. We've always just booked a cruise tour and one my kids really love is Coral World in St. Thomas. My youngest was under a year when we first went there.

When you dock, there's a very large strip mall right there. The tram ride is right across the street from Havensite Mall. No beaches within walking distance. There are loads of mulit-seat open air vans that will take you to the center of town. From there, you might be able to get transportation to a local beach. Also, those vans that line up on the dock, some of them do take passengers to the local beaches. No need for a car seat on those.

thank you all for the info. Cruisinmama06, did your ships tours use a tour bus? Is that how you got around the carseat dilemma? Thanks again.

Exactly. We weren't allowed to use car seats on the ship's bus. So we didn't need car seats.

This time around I *did* go and buy a travel car seat called a Fold N Go that will allow us to use a taxi in Miami. There is a thread about it here at the Family Board.

Here are some of our pics from Coral World

CoralWorld3.jpg

CoralWorld2.jpg

CoralWorld1.jpg

Here is the web site for it

http://www.coralworldvi.com/

Archived