Rccl pulling out of Galveston anyone else jumping ship over to the Conquest?

I have only sailed on the Rhapsody, but since they are leaving and not having a ship for the Fall, makes me think we need to try the Conquest.

Have any of you "50 somethings" sailed on the Conquest? What did you think of it? How did it compare? Thanks for any info!

Considering Voyager has itineraries out of Galveston from 12/07 to 04/08 and 12/08 to 04/09 and Adventure is rumoured to be there (or in Houston) sometime in '09, I hardly think that qualifies as "RCI pulling out of Galveston."

If you want to try Conquest, be my guest. Do come back and tell us about your experience.

i have been on the conquest- when it went out of nola- it was a really fun cruise- we had a great time as did our 14 yr old and 11 yr old- if flying were out of the question for you, go try conquest- it is still a cruise on a large ship- but its not rci - once we tried rci........dh says we won't go back to carnival unless there is a HUGE price difference - there is nothing wrong with carnival - we just really prefer the overall product of rci the best so far-

I wouldn't go on another Conquest class ship after sailing on Liberty. Too many people, small overcrowded facilities for such a big number of PAX. Not a relaxing atmosphere. Other than that good food, service etc. But once was more than enough for our family, including 15 yo son.

Just sailed the Conquest this past November. I loved the ship and the ports. The shows on the ship were very good. Enjoyed all of our meals. Very satisfied with the service. Give it a try. No one can guarantee that it will meet your expectations-only you can judge-after the experience! I enjoy both Carnival and RCI ships. They are different in some ways and very similar in others. Whatever you decide, happy sails to you!

I compared deck plans on Rhapsody and Conquest not too long ago. Just the full decks, not the small partial ones.

Rhapsody has 9 full-length decks. Five of those are passenger cabins, the remaining 4 are public areas, including the sun deck. Conquest has 7 1/3 decks devoted to cabins (1/3 of the pool deck was staterooms!) and 2 2/3 decks mapped out for public areas.

Rhapsody holds a bit over 2400 passengers full capacity. Conquest holds close to 3000. Rhapsody is 915' in length, Conquest 953'.

I compared deck plans on Rhapsody and Conquest not too long ago. Just the full decks, not the small partial ones.

Rhapsody has 9 full-length decks. Five of those are passenger cabins, the remaining 4 are public areas, including the sun deck. Conquest has 7 1/3 decks devoted to cabins (1/3 of the pool deck was staterooms!) and 2 2/3 decks mapped out for public areas.

Rhapsody holds a bit over 2400 passengers full capacity. Conquest holds close to 3000. Rhapsody is 915' in length, Conquest 953'.

We had about 3700 PAX on Liberty (sister ship). Poll area reminded me football stadium. It didn't have enough space and pool space for all passengers. I am not sure about kids program, but tons of kids were in all jacuzzis.

Buffet looked like a zoo.. :mad:

Yeah, tough choices. I have done 4 carnivore cruises and not really my cup of tea. I am 56 and find that Carnival is just not for me. The newer ships are pretty nice, and service is quite good. However their "Windjammer" food is just plain awful. I really don't care much for their main dinning either, although you won't starve. One thing that seems consistant across the fleet is really good Pizza. Rooms are not bad, but I am used to upscale suites and carnival really dosn't do these. Even then, you would never notice that you are in a suite as there is nothing extra other than the room. It is a shame, as they often have some of the best itineries of all the cruise lines.

All that being said, I would sail Carnival yet again, if the ports were right. I don't like to fly, so I am pretty much trapped if I get desperate for a quick cruise. A cruise on Carnivore beats staying home.:D

I wouldn't go on another Conquest class ship after sailing on Liberty. Too many people, small overcrowded facilities for such a big number of PAX. Not a relaxing atmosphere. Other than that good food, service etc. But once was more than enough for our family, including 15 yo son.

You feel like I do. I could hear the sounds of cows mooing on the Glory. It was a cattle call all the way. No more Conquest class and no more Carnival. No way could I take a step backwards like that. Speaking of the buffet, the health department needs to tell Carnival to make their guests on board wear shirt and shoes to the lido dining room. Nothing worse than seeing some hairy man leaning over the food with a wet bathing suit and no shirt or shoes on. That will make you lose your appetite and fast. :eek:

I'm not in my 50s nor am I particularly interested in taking a Carnival cruise. However, since I like to cruise in the fall (Sept/Oct) and occasionally I like to take a cruise that does not involve flying somewhere, I guess Carnival would be my only option for now. As much as I like sailing RC, I'm not going to make my vacation time revolve around their schedule.

I just checked RCCL yesterday and it looks like Adventure of the Seas is all spoken for in 2009....

I think they are talking summer/fall of 2009 which hasn't been released yet, and won't be until next year!

Yup, yup.

Rumor is pretty firm, someone said a crew member on Adventure mentioned it and someone else said they heard it from a Captain on another ship. I'm going to be following this rumour with great interest.

Can we please have a moment of silence for the poor poor Rc diehards having to travel Carnival? Puh-lease, Carnival is great - plain and simple. They have never disappointed me. My mom is even sold on them now after our Sept. Ecstasy cruise and she is an RC fanatic. I can't believe some people would choose to cruise less just to avoid Carnival......that is just crazy talk. :confused:

Can we please have a moment of silence for the poor poor Rc diehards having to travel Carnival? Puh-lease, Carnival is great - plain and simple. They have never disappointed me. My mom is even sold on them now after our Sept. Ecstasy cruise and she is an RC fanatic. I can't believe some people would choose to cruise less just to avoid Carnival......that is just crazy talk. :confused:

Why is this an issue? Some people do not like carnival. I dont. I wont say I am an RC fanatic but I will cruise less or fly to avoid cruising Carnival. It is all personal choice. I dont understand why people have to get so ugly about it when someone says they dont want to go on Carnival or they would opt to cruise less. I dont like a lot of things but that does not make it wrong. It is good we all dont like the same things, makes life more interesting, provides more choices.

I love Walmart but I have a friend of mine that REFUSES to shop there, she has never even been in a Walmart and will not go into one for anything. She almost stopped shopping at Walgreens because someone told her they were owned by Walmart, which is not true.

I am going on Princess next year, yes they are owned by Carnival corp, that is okay with me. Celebrity is owned by RC but I have no desire to cruise on them, nothing wrong with them, just not for me. Like Carnival is not my thing.

It is great you like Carnival but dont knock those of us who dont and who did not have a great experience on them or who choose to go elsewhere.

Because some of what people say is ridiculous - I am sorry they are not that different, even after discussing with my mom her trips on RC. I don't have a problem with people preferring one over the other, it is the elitist attitude that some have that because they travel on RC that they are somehow more refined and classier folks - and that Carnival is just one trashed out neon party. I agree it shouldn't be an issue, but when I am trying to enjoy the boards of the two cruiselines I sail and see the constant bashing of Carnival I get a little on the irritated side.

Seriously, we all have something in common - the love of cruising. I have always used these boards to get valuable information and to help others new to cruising. I just don't feel the need for the constant bashing, I don't really see how that helps anyone.

Why is this an issue? Some people do not like carnival. I dont. I wont say I am an RC fanatic but I will cruise less or fly to avoid cruising Carnival. It is all personal choice. I dont understand why people have to get so ugly about it when someone says they dont want to go on Carnival or they would opt to cruise less. I dont like a lot of things but that does not make it wrong. It is good we all dont like the same things, makes life more interesting, provides more choices.

I love Walmart but I have a friend of mine that REFUSES to shop there, she has never even been in a Walmart and will not go into one for anything. She almost stopped shopping at Walgreens because someone told her they were owned by Walmart, which is not true.

I am going on Princess next year, yes they are owned by Carnival corp, that is okay with me. Celebrity is owned by RC but I have no desire to cruise on them, nothing wrong with them, just not for me. Like Carnival is not my thing.

It is great you like Carnival but dont knock those of us who dont and who did not have a great experience on them or who choose to go elsewhere.

I don't have a problem with people preferring one over the other, it is the elitist attitude that some have that because they travel on RC that they are somehow more refined and classier folks - and that Carnival is just one trashed out neon party.

No.. you got it wrong. Sailing on RCI or Princess or Celebrity or Carnival doesn't make people more refined... but people make a choice which company to use accordingly to their interests and lifestyle. :)

And can we please let others have an opinion???? Not everyone has the same likes and dislikes as you.:rolleyes:

I am simply stating that some folks on the RC board like to make sport of being rude, rather than stating fact regarding Carnival. Not once did I ever say in any of my posts that people shouldn't be able to have a preference.

No.. you got it wrong. Sailing on RCI or Princess or Celebrity or Carnival doesn't make people more refined... but people make a choice which company to use accordingly to their interests and lifestyle. :)

i have cruised rccl 6 times, carnival twice, celebrity once, norwegian twice and princess once with carnival being last. i swore i would NEVER cruise carnival.....we are definately RCCL. i have to say, i shouldn't have waited so long for carnival.

we cruised the conquest and WHEW!, we had fun! we are not party people but we brought my teenager and his friend and never had so much fun. i found the people were friendlier, not as touristy. but, of course, i am going on the rhapsody next month with a grand suite! go figure.

i like the food better on rccl but i have to say, the entertainment/party was better on the conquest. i did look for the atmosphere everyone describes as the party atmosphere and didn't see it but it was a WHOLE LOT OF FUN!

If you look at the first post... they are correct, as far as I can see - RCL doesn't have a ship in Galveston during the fall THIS YEAR.

I have only sailed on the Rhapsody, but since they are leaving and not having a ship for the Fall, makes me think we need to try the Conquest.

Considering Voyager has itineraries out of Galveston from 12/07 to 04/08 and 12/08 to 04/09 and Adventure is rumoured to be there (or in Houston) sometime in '09, I hardly think that qualifies as "RCI pulling out of Galveston."

Archived