What gives first-time cruisers away?

Sourismom

I'm going to be a first-time cruiser as of Saturday. I was wondering what first-time cruisers do (or don't do) that immediately tips us off to the experienced cruisers? Like you think, "Only a newbie would do THAT!" ;)

Seeing someone rush from activity to activity so they don't miss anything is a big tip-off that the person is new to cruising. Take some time to enjoy the ship and relax!

I'm going to be a first-time cruiser as of Saturday. I was wondering what first-time cruisers do (or don't do) that immediately tips us off to the experienced cruisers? Like you think, "Only a newbie would do THAT!" ;)

It seems you will be on Carnival.. your SS card (colour) shows that you are a 1st time cruiser :p :D

LOL. Well, that hardly seems fair to give us away right off the bat! :p

LOL don't worry just go with the flow.. as the previous poster mentioned .. Hey we were all first timers once.. just think the next cruise you go on with your GOLD SS card you can say.. hey look they are 1st timers..:D ;)

Usually first time cruisers give themselves away by telling everyone they come in contact with from the moment they leave home that they are a first time cruiser. Of all the thousands of things to worry about, this is the very least. Everyone but the truly jaded are excitied about the cruise and care not that this is your first or fifty first cruise. Have a blast.

Most first time posters title their threads, newbie here or first timer. Also by the number of posts. 1 is a for sure, a newbie. :D

Very untrue there are many multiple cruisers that do not post and only lurk the boards.. those that are 1st timers say so in the post.. the others do not:D

Don't stress about being identified as a first time cruiser! I would kill to be able to cruise for the first time again - everything was so magical and so full of wonder. Even though the following crusies will be great, they will never match the experience of your first sail away, the first time you board, everything will be a first for you.

Enjoy it, for it will never happen again.

Charlie

They buy those umbrella drinks with the souviner glasses when they board. Many don't realize they aren't "free" when they take the glass. Even when they sign for it, they are so excited they don't realize they are paying for it. :D

They buy those umbrella drinks with the souviner glasses when they board. Many don't realize they aren't "free" when they take the glass. Even when they sign for it, they are so excited they don't realize they are paying for it. :D

Nah, while I'm not the most experienced cruiser in the world buying that first umbrella drink has become a rite of passage for me. My vacation officially starts when I spend $8 for that umbrella drink.

I love meeting first time cruisers onboard ships!

Don't worry, it's not like being a freshman in high school or anything. Unless people have been on the very same ship you're sailing on, most of the seasoned cruisers will be lost and searching, too :p

Just relax, perhaps study the deck plans before you go, to find out what you don't want to miss. Read CC (a lot) so you know what are issues that are potential problems and what you need to let go of.

When you come back, you'll come on CC to give answers to the newer "newbies".

While I wouldn't "kill" ;) , the excitement of a first cruise is so special and I do envy that :)

Sourismom- Hope you have such a wonderful time that you're hooked on cruising (like the rest of us)! I've enjoyed reading the various replies to your post- loved the souvenir glass and "freshman in HS" responses! As has been said- there's no "downside" to being a newbie- we all were newbies once- and for most of us our first cruise remains in our memories as a magical cruise- sort of a "first kiss" memory.

That said- I do have one "vision" that says "newbie" to me- a woman carrying a large purse around the ship. All you need is your room card/ ship's pass, maybe a tissue and lipstick. Your cabin isn't far away- I always wonder if those women lug a large purse around their own homes LOL.

I agree with GIZMO about the drinks. We did that. Once we were given the card to sign we realized it wasn't free. But we decided we wanted a good souvenir. Also, newbies have their maps of the ship open trying to figure out where they are. They come off an elevator looking around like they have no idea where they are. Then then walk down some steps only to realize they are lost. They get off the ship and stand there looking WAY up to it and you know they are thinking........."I'm sailing on that????!!". They ask other passengers why certain elevators or steps don't go all the way up to the top level (umm.......the pool is there?). They take pictures OF EVERYTHING.

Another sure sign of a first time cruiser is one with a lot of luggage.

Not always true. We've been cruising since the late 80's and my DW would pack the kitchen sink if she could get it in a suitcase!

Tanker4

I agree with GIZMO about the drinks. We did that. Once we were given the card to sign we realized it wasn't free. But we decided we wanted a good souvenir. Also, newbies have their maps of the ship open trying to figure out where they are. They come off an elevator looking around like they have no idea where they are. Then then walk down some steps only to realize they are lost. They get off the ship and stand there looking WAY up to it and you know they are thinking........."I'm sailing on that????!!". They ask other passengers why certain elevators or steps don't go all the way up to the top level (umm.......the pool is there?). They take pictures OF EVERYTHING.

I must always look like a first time cruiser :)

I don't do the drink of the day, but I'm always lost and I always have a ships' map, even after multiple cruises on the same ship :rolleyes:

The problem we had on our first cruise was one of delight tempered with hesitation (intimidation?) when we saw how many people were doing so many things that we didn't know about or understand. (That was back in 1987, before Cruise Critic was invented - and perhaps before the Internet was in full use.)

It took us two or three days to get the hang of things and feel comfortable with the process.

My regret is that we didn't have the nerve to claim our newbie status on board so we missed a lot that we wish we hadn't.

My #1 tip for all newbies is drop the concern about looking like a newbie and wear it like a badge of honor...and you'll be pampered even more than the seasoned cruiser.

Archived