Adding 3rd person?

Irina555

Just hope your room can fit that 3rd person. On my upcoming cruise, I barely managed to get the last balcony that could hold 3+ people. There aren't that many regular rooms that hold more than 2 and some cruises are really popular so they fill up quick. My TA also mentioned that ships have a maximum capacity, so even if there are still rooms left that can hold extra people, they won't book them cuz it'd put them over the cap.

If I book a cruise for 2, but before final payment decide to add another person in the same room

Possible?

Yes. You can even do this after final payment as long as there is a cabin available that can hold 3 people. We did this for our cruise on the Sapphire back in Jan 2006. We decided just two months before the cruise (and after final payment) to bring our teenage son with us. We called our TA and he was able to change our cabin (we had booked a specific cabin on the Baja deck) to another balcony cabin on the same deck. Had to make full payment of the 3rd person price since it was after final payment but no problem there.

Dan

Not necessarily. Even if your cabin can accommodate 3 passengers, whether or not you can add a third passenger depends entirely upon whether or not the ship has reached maximum capacity when you are ready to add that third person. Just because a cabin holds 3 doesn't mean the ship still has occupancy available. It's a bit complicated (my TA has explained it to me several times, but I have trouble understanding it exactly). If you speak to a knowledgeable TA, they will explain this to you, or perhaps one of our more knowing CC members can articulate it.

Not necessarily. Even if your cabin can accommodate 3 passengers, whether or not you can add a third passenger depends entirely upon whether or not the ship has reached maximum capacity when you are ready to add that third person. Just because a cabin holds 3 doesn't mean the ship still has occupancy available. It's a bit complicated (my TA has explained it to me several times, but I have trouble understanding it exactly). If you speak to a knowledgeable TA, they will explain this to you, or perhaps one of our more knowing CC members can articulate it.

Thats the key. ;)

I thought it was articulated fine in posts 3 & 4 above. But thanks for reiterating the point.

Not articulated perfectly, but if you booked a room for 2 that holds two, and you are allowed to add that third person, you will have to change to a different room and you will lose the room you booked.

Bottom line, tell them to ship or get off the boat, the sooner the better...

Its pretty clear that if a cabin is designed for two that is the capacity... As stated, often you can add a person, but not always. Depends upon how heavily the ship is booked. Also in the case of someone under 18 they may look at how that works. Sometimes there is a limit by age group that they enforce.

Archived