Different Embarcation lines?

lucchese1

In our group of 21 cabins 5 are deluxe SA & SB suites and the balance are Superior SY suites. I know the SA&B rooms get priority boarding but since we will all be in a group:eek: with just a couple of kids, because of tighter security can a SA&B wait & board with the SY and what time would you suggest we all start arriving at the pier.

The sailing is 05/12/07 on the O out of Seattle and I was curious whom else has been asked to move, every one in an SY has gotten an offer to move to a different date and recieve an upgrade to Deluxe plus $500.00 refund. They will not tell the reason but its clearly over sold. Does this happen a lot or only because the first few trips in Alaska are that popular:confused:.

Sorry it ended up 2 seperate Questions!

In our group of 21 cabins 5 are deluxe SA & SB suites and the balance are Superior SY suites. I know the SA&B rooms get priority boarding but since we will all be in a group:eek: with just a couple of kids, because of tighter security can a SA&B wait & board with the SY and what time would you suggest we all start arriving at the pier.

The sailing is 05/12/07 on the O out of Seattle and I was curious whom else has been asked to move, every one in an SY has gotten an offer to move to a different date and recieve an upgrade to Deluxe plus $500.00 refund. They will not tell the reason but its clearly over sold. Does this happen a lot or only because the first few trips in Alaska are that popular:confused:.

Sorry it ended up 2 seperate Questions!

It happens from time to time that a ship is oversold.....same as airplanes. HAL will make offers to various people until they get enough folks that agree to give up their cabins. No one here has ever said that someone who wished to keep their booking and sail as scheduled was unable to do so. They will keep contacting people (and increasing the offer) until they have all the cabins they need.

As to Embarkation Lines. Those folks in "S" cabins certainly can go into another line with your whole group so that you can stay together if that is what you wish. They do not have to use the Suite Check In line. Those of you not in an "S", do not belong in that line and should not be in it.

As previously stated, those who belong in that line paid for certain amenities. They purchased the amenity of priority embarkation. Especially since you say your group is so big, I am sure you wouldn't think it fair people who paid to be in that line should have to wait behind a large group which consists of many who did not pay for that amenity. I'm sure you agree that wouldn't be 'quite fair'.

Your large group you will have a wonderful time and you will have a full week together so if some board a few minutes earlier than the others, you will all meet up aboard. Shouldn't be a big deal. I hope those who don't belong in that line do not attempt to get in it. It simply would not be nice!

Have a great cruise.

As to Embarkation Lines. Those folks in "S" cabins certainly can go into another line with your whole group so that you can stay together if that is what you wish. They do not have to use the Suite Check In line. Those of you not in an "S", do not belong in that line and should not be in it.

As previously stated, those who belong in that line paid for certain amenities. They purchased the amenity of priority embarkation. Especially since you say your group is so big, I am sure you wouldn't think it fair people who paid to be in that line should have to wait behind a large group which consists of many who did not pay for that amenity. I'm sure you agree that wouldn't be 'quite fair'.

Your large group you will have a wonderful time and you will have a full week together so if some board a few minutes earlier than the others, you will all meet up aboard. Shouldn't be a big deal. I hope those who don't belong in that line do not attempt to get in it. It simply would not be nice!

Have a great cruise.

The OP doesn't appear to be considering trying to get the SY passengers into the SA/SB ines. In fact, the SA/SB passengers are willing to forfeit the perk of a special suite check-in line, so the group can stay together. I think that is very considerate!

(Maybe the people who don't qualify for the special check-in line would not appreciate the SA/SB's taking up space in their line;))

The OP doesn't appear to be considering trying to get the SY passengers into the SA/SB ines. In fact, the SA/SB passengers are willing to forfeit the perk of a special suite check-in line, so the group can stay together. I think that is very considerate!

(Maybe the people who don't qualify for the special check-in line would not appreciate the SA/SB's taking up space in their line;))

You are absolutely right. I misread the OP's post and apologize.

I thought they were asking if the whole group could go to the "S" line.

Many times when we get to the terminals we are handed a "number" for embarking the ship regardless of the fact that we are in a suite. Once we get to the suite check-in line that number is taken away from us. Sometimes this happens and sometimes it doesn't. The SA/SB passengers will be checking in at a different area. The SY's will go to another area. The SA/SB passengers will not have a number to get on the ship in most cases - they only need to show their GOLD ID card to get on the ship. The SY passengers will have BLUE ID cards. When their number is called, then all of you can get on the ship at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
It happens from time to time that a ship is oversold.....same as airplanes. HAL will make offers to various people until they get enough folks that agree to give up their cabins. No one here has ever said that someone who wished to keep their booking and sail as scheduled was unable to do so. They will keep contacting people (and increasing the offer) until they have all the cabins they need.

Have a great cruise.

OK. so let me ask this. My wife, daughter and I are in a PS. My 80's+ In-laws are in a B-Verandah. I suppose I would get dirty looks if I tried to help them board by taking them with me in the Suite Check-in line??

Probably since they will be given a number different than your gold ID card which you show when called to embark on the ship.

HOWEVER - if either of them is handicapped and needs to use a wheel chair, then they get on the ship first and then you can accompany them.

Another interesting debate............

Those who sail in deluxe suites/PH pay multiples of what other pax pay. They pay for and are entitled to benefits that others do not pay for. That they might sail with other pax who have not paid for those perks does not mean the others are entitled to the same thing.

And I say this as someone who usually sails the cheap seats on all mass-marketed cruise lines. Cruising is not a democracy. We get what we pay for.

Another interesting debate............

Those who sail in deluxe suites/PH pay multiples of what other pax pay. They pay for and are entitled to benefits that others do not pay for. That they might sail with other pax who have not paid for those perks does not mean the others are entitled to the same thing.

And I say this as someone who usually sails the cheap seats on all mass-marketed cruise lines. Cruising is not a democracy. We get what we pay for.

I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. To have non-suite passengers get priority checkin and use of the Neptune lounge would be akin to me paying for my coach class seat and plopping my rear into a first class seat on my next plane trip.

Again, the same response applies IMO

You certainly can forego the priority line in order to board with your family members who are not in an "S" or "PS". You have paid to use that line, the others in your party did not.

It seems easy to say, sure.......what's the big deal. One senior couple who you want to keep with you.

Multiply that by how many other people in "S" or "PS" wanting to bring their cousins, their sister and her family, their friends.........

Either people are staying in cabins that permit them to use that line or not. Why should those who have paid for it have to wait in what could turn into a lengthy line if everyone brought others with them?

Do what you wish. I would not do it. It isn't right IMO

Again, the same response applies IMO

You certainly can forego the priority line in order to board with your family members who are not in an "S" or "PS". You have paid to use that line, the others in your party did not.

It seems easy to say, sure.......what's the big deal. One senior couple who you want to keep with you.

Multiply that by how many other people in "S" or "PS" wanting to bring their cousins, their sister and her family, their friends.........

Either people are staying in cabins that permit them to use that line or not. Why should those who have paid for it have to wait in what could turn into a lengthy line if everyone brought others with them?

Do what you wish. I would not do it. It isn't right IMO

Expected response and you didn't let me down.

OK. so let me ask this. My wife, daughter and I are in a PS. My 80's+ In-laws are in a B-Verandah. I suppose I would get dirty looks if I tried to help them board by taking them with me in the Suite Check-in line??

You know, a good portion of the passengers on our cruise were well over 70. And I'd say you would get a dirty look. What about someone who is younger, but may be in poor health? Where do they draw the line?

If they did this for one, they'd have to do it for all. The suite check-in is for suites (and you pay a lot more for these perks than the others). I'd say if you have someone who needs help, tell the person at the main entrance to the check-in area. Maybe they'd have a solution to the problem.

The sure solution to enjoying the perks is to book the cabin that offers the perks.

Expected response and you didn't let me down.

But I don't think Sail said is out of line. Those in the PS or the DS have paid a lot extra for these things.

I think if an elderly person (or anyone for that matter) really needed special assistance, they'd get it. You wouldn't need to try and scoot them through the suite check-in line.

And for what it's worth...it took those in the regular lines a lot less time that it took us (in the suite check-in line) because there were only 3 customer service gals in our area, and there must have been a dozen in the regular line. It all goes rather quickly and efficently, so no matter what, you'll be on your way in short order. We stood in the line to have our bags x-ray'd before we were on the ship, a lot longer than we did the check-in line. So beyond the check-in areas, everyone funnels to the same place. And you just have to wait your turn.

I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. To have non-suite passengers get priority checkin and use of the Neptune lounge would be akin to me paying for my coach class seat and plopping my rear into a first class seat on my next plane trip.

The OP did not but someone else did :)

Archived