Basic question about Ship/Alaska cruise

HollDoll

This is my first cruise in ages, and my first on Regent (Alaska 5/23). Are the temperatures on the ship/dining areas comfortable or should I consider sweaters, etc? Are there individual temperature controls in each cabin? Do some/many people stay aboard during the day or does nearly everyone go ashore for excursions, etc.? I assume that dress aboard ship during the day is very casual, is that correct? On port days, do people return to the ship for lunch? I’m just trying to get the feel for what to expect. Thanks to all in advance for any help or tips you might provide.

First of all, you want to have your cruise; not some other person's or the majority's cruise. I do many different things, based upon my desires whether it is to stay on the ship, take a particular tour or venture out independently.

Port dependent, some people do wander out, come back to the ship for lunch and then wander out again. Some venture out a bit later and just have a late breakfast. Most, however, generally take lunch off the ship. There are some great little restaurants in some of the ports...others not.

Dress is casual during the day. A t-shirt or tennis short is perfectly acceptable. In the evenings a bit dressier casual is appropriate.

Unless you chill easily a sweater should not be necessary in the dining room or public areas, but you might want to take one just in case.

Each suite has its own thermostat.

I agree with Eric. Tailor the trip to your wants and do what you

are comfortable with. I know that a few of us actually came

back to the ship in the late afternoon for tea-time. It seemed

to be a small group until a few of us started talking about it.

I would go by myself and then DH went with me once and really

enjoyed it also.

Sweater... we were down in the Mexico and Florida area and

I WISH I had packed my sweater!! I do get chilled easily and

I had the hardest time finding something warm to wear. I finally

found a black jacket but it took me many hours. I thought the

dining room and lounge could be chilly.

Have a GREAT time!! Regent is first class!!;)

HollDoll,

We will be with you with our two sons. I wish I could give you ideas but it will be our first time on the Mariner. I expect the best since we are PG addicts(well maybe it's just me). We reserved an excursion at each port and will play the rest by ear.

I got my docs today.

Hope to meet up with you.

Thanks! Got our docs yesterday. Haven't had time yet to review everything I received. We reserved an excursion in each port too, except Ketchikan. Also doing Tracey Arm. You'll be able to spot us--we're three women traveling together. Probably the only group like that on the ship!!

Holldol,

we're on the same cruise. Being from eastern NC, we're preparing for wet, cold weather for the cruise, and will bring along a sweater/wrap for dining rooms.

Apparently there are indiividual thermostat controls for each suite.

This is our first cruise and first visit to Alaska. We're booked to Tracy Arm and the Scenic Rail & Historic Klondike Gold Dredge excursion.

From what I can determine, most any clothing works up 'til 6:00 PM - at least that how I look at it.

Diining choises are apparently a matter of presonal choise, whether on board or in port.

We look forward to meeting you three ladies.

Nucruiser--Thank you, we look forward to meeting you as well. We're all from the Milwaukee area. I'm taking an unlined gortex raincoat which I can layer with sweatshirts, etc., plus a heavier jacket with a hood. Hope that does it. Expecting 40s-50s daytime I'm hoping. YGlad to know individual temp. controls in the suites. Yesterday I booked Signatures and Lattitudes, which can now be booked online to ensure being able to get into each at least once. My TA to us do Compass Rose the second night as it Captain's Night. I've booked the Skagway train with suspension bridge, Tracey Arm, a wildlife quest in Sitka, and a whale watch (not thru Regent) in Juneau. We are all so much looking forward to this wonderful adventure.

Dining experiences in port are not very gourmet. MOther than a lunch or two, best to eat on the ship.

You will want to pack hat, muffler and gloves for Tracey Arm. It can be both warm (we had 80 degrees in June) and really cold (30's in the glaciers).

In Juneau, we loved the Taku Glacier Lodge excursion. Float Plan over the Mendenhall Glacier to the lodge for a BBQ Salmon Dinner complete with bears.

You will have a great time. I tend to be cold natured, so I pretty much always have a sweater or wrap available if needed.

Tracy Arm is absolutely the most amazing place I have been--the goretex jacket is a good idea, but you definitely need to take a hat, gloves, and I had one of those fleece headbank things that you can put over your ears or pull down around your neck. You may not need them, but if it is cold and you don't have them, you will regret it. It was way colder at Tracy Arm than in Juneau when we went. Also I had a fleece jacket under my goretex one and a couple of other layers.

In Juneau, we really enjoyed the State Historic Museum. I thought it wouldn't be "all that", but it was really interesting and enjoyable. Particularly if it is a rainy day, I would rec that. It is within easy walking distance from the dock. We weren't impressed at all with Mendenhall glacier. Probably if you didn't see any others, it would be good, but we had already been to Tracy Arm and to Glacier Bay. Mendenhall is pretty much nothing after those.

We went in August to Alaska. On deck when you definitely want your camera to take pictures of the breathtaking views the Captain will delight you with, you will want to dress warmly. I did not have a hat, but did have a very warm full body cashmere wrap and might recommend gloves. The common areas where the meals are served are always o.k. without extra clothes. However, we love dining on the rear of the ship, so I dressed in layers (undershirt and sweater; no coat) for these opportunities. I highly encourage anyone to sit outside on the rear of the ship outside when possible. The views are the best on the ship for dining during breakfast and lunch. Take an umbrella for when you go off ship. Have a great time!

There are always umbrellas on board in Alaska. If there are not two in your cabin's closet, they will have them on the gangplank where you walk off the ship. They are large but very nice. Personally, I used a hood on my raincoat and used the umbrella to protect my camera gear.

Archived