What was the funniest thing ever happened to you during a cruise

meathead1134

My wife and I were on our honeymoon during huricane Francis with RCI. We were out in the gulf of Mexico for 3 extra days. The captain brought ship close enough to get cell phone signal. I turned on my cell phone and the dam thing starts talking spanish to me. You should have seen my reaction I busted out laughing. This is something that I won't forget. I ended up going to the customer service desk and asked if somebody spoke spanish. Luckly this happened to several people that morning. Come to find out I had to turn on the international roam feature on my phone. I found this be pretty funny expecially when I wasn't expecting it.

Who else had something funny happen to them?

On our honeymoon cruise my wife did most of the packing. It was February up here in the New England area. So between the wedding the night before and the cruise, we just didn't really think about packing clothes.

Well, she packed for herself and told me she took care of my stuff. We open the suitcase on the boat and I basically have winter clothes packed while being in Miami. I did alot of shopping on the ship that day. We were sailing RCI.

One day I'm standing with a group of guys on the ship and one looked at me and asked if I was a big fan of RCI. I didn't know what he was talking about until I realized that my cap, shirt, and shorts were all RCI branded clothing :o

we were just on infinity 14 day to hawaii , and on formal night i was having issues with my dress.. needless to say i needed a safety pin so my under garmet wouldnt show, so i asked my nice room attendant antonio for a safety pin,, and i pointed to my dress in the bra area, so he knew why i needed it , he said ok i be right back

he came back with a paperclip... I was laughing, he was sooo cute,, LOL

then the other room attendant came with a safety pin. it was sooo funny

take care

melissa

OK, this was many years ago, about 21 probably. A friend and I decided to go on a cruise to the bahamas. We, not knowing any better booked a small greek cruise line and off we went.

One night we attended the adult scavenger hunt. The cruise director asked for a man in woman's shoes. The guy next to me grabbed my shoes off my feet, tried to slide them on and ran up on stage. Well, you might be thinkiing.....OK, but not very funny.....well, what I did not tell you was that I had blisters on my feet so I had put lots of babypowder in my shoes and wrapped my feet in toilet paper:eek: !!!!! The guys black socks were a mess and I/we/the whole table could not stop laughing. What an an embarrassment, which I took in stride.....:p

I was on my very 1st cruise on Carnival Celebration enjoying myself during the Adult Comedy show. The guy was a riot and he told the story of a car dealership called Puckett Chevrolet. He went on to tell us what the TV commercials said: "What are you gonna do when your car breaks down during Friday evening rush hour? Puckett (say it outloud) and come see me."

Well he gave a different Puckett car scenario 3 times and the audience roared. So twenty minutes into the show, the cruise director came on the stage to bring him a drink and the comedien takes it, shruggs his shoulders and said, "What are you gonna do?" And that's when i yelled, "PUCKETT" really loud. The audience laughed so hard that the comedien had to start heckling me. He knicknamed me Peanut Butter(i have no idea why) and after everything he said he would say to me, " How does that sound to you, Peanut Butter?"

So, needless to say, EVERYWHERE i went on the ship people were calling my name, "Hey Peanut Butter."

IT was GREAT, I tell you.

On our second cruise back in 1990 we were on the Norway and they used to have costume parties where the passengers dressed up in anything they wanted. My wife and her twin and us two husbands came prepared. We dressed up as the Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf(me being the wolf). So we ran around the ship and acted like idiots and they had an award ceremony at the end. Didn't we win hands down and they asked someone to come up and say a few words. My brother-inlaw is used to public speaking so he was elected. So there he went all dressed up as a pig and took the microphone. He said a few normal things and topped it off by saying "Well,we'll see you at the buffet". That produced a few moans. Earlier in the evening he sat down at one of the bars and he heard a girl say to her other half "I don't want to sound drunk but I think a pig just sat down next to me". So many other stories that night. It was the funniest night of my life. So far.

In Costa Maya, I went on a private tour to Chacchoben with my brother and sister-in-law. It was just the three of us, and we were driven by van to Chaccoben, which is about a 45 minute drive. For some reason, my SIL & I sat in the middle seat, and my brother sat in the back seat by himself. We approached a small village, and the driver asked us if we were Mormons. We said No, and gave each other weird looks. Then he went on to say the village has a large Mormon population, and they moved there so they could have more than one one wife. I think he thought we were a husband and 2 wives! We started laughing, and I was like "He's my brother! She's his wife, but I'm his sister!"

We were cruising down the Yangtze and had splurged for on of the suite at the bow of the ship. These came equipped with a huge balcony which we shared with our friends across the hall and a mutual private entrance to and from our cabins. You had to pass through two sets of glass doors to access the balconies.

About 1o p.m., my DH is out watching the ship navigate through a dock. After an hour and a half an hour, he got tired and headed in to the cabin only to discover that the outer glass doors has been secured for the night.

He had to jump up and down to get the captain's attention - thankfully the bridge was right above our cabin - and mimed the problem to him, but soon a crew member was down to let him in. I blissfully slept through the whole thing, but we had a good laugh in the morning.

Charlie

P.S. Same trip we had a gentleman in our group who was traveling with his wife and her sister and our Chinese guide throught the man had two wives as well. Our guide kept asking me if the man was from Salt Lake City. It was very funny

I had this on the Cunard Board. On my first Trans Atlantic crossing I went to the gymn on a ship level which was below sea water. Never had gotten sea sick but after exercising felt very wobbly. Went to the clinic, got a shot in the butt, left got on the elevator and it was the first formal evening. When the elevator doors opened there were men and women beautifully attired and I was in sweaty work out clothes and very damp and messy hair. Gathered what ever little dignity I had and marched through them and their shocked expressions. I looked like at had cleaned every toilet on the ship. The other amusing time was when the QE2 had 500 Amish folk aboard. The first formal evening a staff member whispered to one of the gentlemen, then all the men left the dining room and returned with jackets, the ladies kept their bonnets and aprons and were good to go. The Amish were the most elegant and dignified people on board that ship as far as I was concerned.

I don't know if this is really classified as "funny", but it made an interesting cruise. 2 friends and I sailed on the Carnival Celebration back in the late '80's. There were these 3 college-age guys onboard that had matching t-shirts. 2 of them said "where's Darryl?". They were all over the ship - doing all the activities - even won the "dress in drag" event.

After each port stop, you would see lots of other shirts with the "where's Darryl?" logo. Before long, a good part of the ship was decked out in identical t-shirts. The last night onboard, the 3rd guy sported a shirt that said "I'm Darryl!!!" Everyone had a good time! (And Darryl was seen having a lot of free drinks that last night!!!)

My sister and I were getting ready to disembark from our ship, and were heading back down to our cabin in the elevator. We were joined by this friendly-looking older gentleman, who takes a look at us and proceeds to being speaking to us in Russian. We are Canadian, and although we have a Polish-sounding last name that was originally Ukranian, we have no idea how to speak Russian and had no idea what he was saying. Then he began adding hand signals and we finally started to understand. He had a long flight from Miami all the way to Moscow. We gave him sympathetic faces and replied with "Miami" 'insert flying gesture here' "Buffalo" and parted ways. We still laugh good-naturedly over our friendly fellow-passenger.:)

I just remembered something else funny that happened to me. It was my second cruise and my friend Donna's 1st. After 15 minutes or so in our cabin, the room steward knocked at the door. Donna was closest so she opened it. The steward introduced himself and asked her name. He pronounced it back to her as Dohna and I jokingly said "Hi Dohna" in his pronunciation. She turned around and said to me, "You're funny." And then the room steward looked at me and said," Hi Funny, nice to meet you."

He called me Funny the entire cruise!

These are great!

Just off our cruise, and on an excursion in Naples Italy along the Amalfi coast we were commenting on the bus how much traffic there was, especially the motor scooters, and my mom says outloud "I've never seen so many pedofiles in one place, they are all over!" - I looked suprised, folks all around us started laughing... she was confused, and I explained I think she meant to say mopeds. She too, then got a good laught out of it .. :D

The other amusing time was when the QE2 had 500 Amish folk aboard.
Are you serious??? Amish people on a cruise? I just can't imagine that - they don't normally do things like that! They don't go for modern conveniences and luxury, so I can't picture them being on a cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Are you serious??? Amish people on a cruise? I just can't imagine that - they don't normally do things like that! They don't go for modern conveniences and luxury, so I can't picture them being on a cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Probably for the simple reason of transportation. ;)

I, too, have seen Amish on a QE2 transatlantic crossing, and on an Amtrak transcontinental crossing, but not 500 at once...

ships and trains, traditional travel modes I guess.

We went on the Disney Magic, with my BIL & my Best friend & her son. After dinner one night our server asked what we wanted for dessert. My BIL replied "nothing". The waiter returned with all our desserts & a plate with "Nothiing" written on it in chocolate syrup!:p We all got quite a kick out of it..took a picture, but have never downloaded it to the computer! BTW Maryutah, I got quite a chuckle out of your post!:D Kathy ;)

Yep, they were Amish. I am originally from Ohio and Holmes County has a very large population. My granddaughter (13 at the time) was traveling with me and very inquisitive. We sat down next to a nice couple and she had many questions. The majority of the group were going to Switzerland to help farmers with their hay or wheat harvest. All done the old fashioned way. A major focus of their trip was to go to areas where the Amish had suffered persecution, see their history and help where it might be needed. We saw some of the same folk on our trans-atlantic return and they told us of extraordinary experiences. So different than most of us on that crossing, they had labored, served others and enjoyed each moment without a complaint. The gentleman who organized the trip had many Amish groups from several different states. It is a lovely memory for my granddaughter and I.

"Amish Light", that's a good one.

Our first cruise thirteen years ago, I had won with a sales contest at work. I was a Supermarket manager in the Northeast for a large chain. The contest was simple. The store manager of the chain that sold the most "Raid" roach spray won the cruise. I worked in our store in a corner of Hell called Newark, New Jersey. Selling roach spray in Newark is like selling water in the desert. Well the first night of the cruise, Raid aka. Johnson Wax, sent a bottle of Chanpagne for me and my DW to our dinner table. What a riot looking at the expressions on everyone's face explaining how I came upon my good fortune.

"Amish Light", that's a good one.

Our first cruise thirteen years ago, I had won with a sales contest at work. I was a Supermarket manager in the Northeast for a large chain. The contest was simple. The store manager of the chain that sold the most "Raid" roach spray won the cruise. I worked in our store in a corner of Hell called Newark, New Jersey. Selling roach spray in Newark is like selling water in the desert. Well the first night of the cruise, Raid aka. Johnson Wax, sent a bottle of Chanpagne for me and my DW to our dinner table. What a riot looking at the expressions on everyone's face explaining how I came upon my good fortune.

LOL! Belated congratulations for your salesmanship!

Viv

The other amusing time was when the QE2 had 500 Amish folk aboard. The first formal evening a staff member whispered to one of the gentlemen, then all the men left the dining room and returned with jackets, the ladies kept their bonnets and aprons and were good to go. The Amish were the most elegant and dignified people on board that ship as far as I was concerned.

Are you sure they were Amish? The Amish generally don't travel for pleasure, but Mennonites do. Their beliefs (and style of dress) are very similar.

My daughter was negotiating a price on a blouse with a vendor in Mayahual. She speaks fluent Spanish so it was going very well. Her brother was standing next to her and the vendor teased " Is that your boyfriend, he is ugly." Then he said "maybe I shouldn't have said that." To which my daughter replied, " That's OK he doesn't speak Spanish." So the vendor gets in one last shot. " Well, then he's stupid, too." We all roared when she told us this story at dinner.

:eek: On our recent cruise to the Mexican Riviera, DH and I sent our little one off to Camp Carnival after dinner one evening, and headed up to the Adults Only Jaccuzzi, to have a drink and a soak under the stars. There were a group of newlyweds (three couples) and us (celebrating our 14th anniversary) in the jacuzzi. We were having a great time until this really, really drunk woman came and joined us. She was like this cloud of negativity complaining about EVERYTHING.

After a while DH and I needed to go and pick up our daughter from Camp Carnival so we excused ourselves and left. I stayed in the cabin with our little one so she could go to sleep, and DH asked if I would mind if he went back up on deck, which was fine with me.

Apparently while we were gone the drunk lady started saying some bad things about one of the newlywed husbands. His new wife, who was also doing a fair amount of drinking, felt it necessary to defend his honor, and the drunk lady ended up slapping her!:eek: The newlywed couple left the jacuzzi and went off in search of security.

It was at about this point that my husband returned to the jacuzzi, completely unaware of what had just transpired. Apparently security showed up, tapped the drunk woman on the shoulder, and she literally lept into my rather perplexed husband's lap! Meanwhile one of the other newlywed women in the jacuzzi (who was there when I was there earlier) kept saying, "You have such a lovely wife.":D

We were laughing about it for the whole cruise, and kept referring to her as "The lap jumper."

I explained the reason for their travel on post #19. It was not for pleasure, it was to help harvest and to go to the origin of their persecution. I was brought up near the Amish and was just in Holmes County last October. I have also traveled with them on Amtrak but have not inquired as I did on the QE2 what was the purpose for the journey. If anyone is interested in reading fictional books on the Amish (but with non-fictional background) P.L. Gaus has written several. He is a professor of chemistry at the College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio. There are many sects within the Amish tradition. Mennonite is very different, with a strong belief in higher education. We the 'English' put the Amish under one group, they may dress the same but there are some strong differences.

Archived