Airlines rewards credit card

hoppelk

Does anyone have suggestions concerning an airline rewards card? Would like to have some flexibility with cruise lines, so I thought saving some money on airfare would help. Thansk for your help

I know that with Delta its next to impossible to fly with sky miles anywhere that is even remotely popular. They have really scaled back on how many sky miles tickets they give out. Kind of disappointing really, I feel that sky miles are next to worthless now unless I want to fly to somewhere that has no appeal.

Does anyone have suggestions concerning an airline rewards card? Would like to have some flexibility with cruise lines, so I thought saving some money on airfare would help. Thansk for your help

I use an American Airlines Aadvantage card, but rarely use the miles for flights. I find using them for upgrades to be a better use...

I am also very dissapointed with my Delta air miles card. No matter when I book, how far in advance or where I want to go, no seats are ever available. Not a good way to keep consumer confidence. American Airlines has given me better option :mad: s in the past.....jean

I use the United Mileage Plus card as well as the American card -- get lots more miles through United - they are always doubling miles, granting bonus's or adding miles from their Mileage Plus dining or through supermarket shopping or hotel stays -- both airlines have their issues when it comes to using miles -- sometimes one airline works better, sometimes the other. It is true I cannot always use miles when I wish but twice now we have used miles to get to St. Thomas for charter sailing (once on American miles, the other time on US Air with United miles), sent my son to Italy, booked many trips to see my son when he went to school in New Mexico -- though I admit that getting to Orlando at Christmas time doesn't work too well with anyone! Part of the trick with using miles anywhere is to plan well in advance and not wait until the last minute -- it certainly makes a cruise or any trip more affordable if you do not have to add in the cost of airfare!

i have the AMEX gold card and find redeeming miles difficult for the most part.....although, recently i needed to make an emergency trip to BWI from TPA and got seats without any problem.

i recently signed up for the Capital Rewards Go miles card (no fee).....supposedly, you just book on an airline when you want, using that card to "pay"....getting best prices....and then say you want the miles deducted instead of having it appear as a charge. There are tricky ways of figuring how many miles you have to use.....but at least you wont find blackout dates or no available seats ! or have to take a 3 connection flight like i am in Oct !!

will give it a chance to see if i like it and just use up remaining Delta miles when i can.

Just cashed in a bunch of miles with my United Visa card. Was able to obtain business class to Rome and back from Copenhagen for next summer's cruises. Excellent connection on Lufthansa going over and a non-stop on SAS coming back.

The above post was correct in stating the United card has a zillion ways to accumulate miles. I also think it important to plan way ahead.

Try the American Express Starwoods platinum credit card. Free first year, $30 per year afterwards.

You can transfer points as miles to any airline program and they give you an extra 20% when you transfer.

Look into the airlines you would consider flying, then research their frequent flier programs. Some airlines will only allocate a few seats on flights to be used for people cashing in miles. On the flip side, one airline I know of - Southwest - does not limit how many "free seats" there can be on its flights - if there are seats to sell, you can use your Rapid Rewards points for those seats. However, all airlines have "blackout" dates I believe.

Every time I have thought of using our AAdvantage miles recently (about 100K), the dates/locations had no availability (and this is usually about 6-9 months out when I am checking). However, you could purchase a ticket on those flights - just no seats to cash in AAdvantage miles. I'll just keep holding on to those miles until I find the right trip for us where I can cash them in. :)

Does anybody have the new Capital one card? I believe it has been advertised on television. Thanks for the info.

WE cancelled our Capital One card some years ago when we discovered that, even if you sent a check the day the bill came, there was no way to get the payment credited within the grace period.

Archived