Camp Carnival

ssac

We have a daughter who will be almost 5 when we set sail. How comfortable should I be with Camp Carnival? We are very skeptical about leaving her with strangers. Do they watch them well? Are they assigned to one counselor? Thanks for the help.:(

How comfortable where you leaving her at day care or school?

We used camp with our nieces and nephew at Christmas. The counselors are all schooled in child care or education. They group the children by age and have a few counselors for each age group. They run a variety of activities that change every hour or so based on the child's attention span.

Here is a link that Wennfred posted for your age group:

http://members.cox.net/wennfred3/2-5.html

My daughter was 4 when we sailed on the Glory. She hadn't yet had any preschool experience and was hesitant about staying at Camp Carnival. The counselors did a wonderful job of helping feel welcome. After that first day, she was always disappointed when we came to pick her up! The counselors are salaried employees and hold professional degrees, see this link to Carnival's web site: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/youth_staff.aspx I was very comfortable leaving my daughter in their care.

I sailed with my three children (6,4,3) on Carnival for the first time in March and we all loved Camp Carnival. This may have been the highlight of the trip for all of us. I felt very secure leaving my children there - they have a strict sign in and sign out policy and little ones can't leave by themselves. You'll have a beeper, so if they need you, you will be contacted. They watch them every minute and there are several couselors in the room at all times. Most of the playtime is structured and my kids were very happy there. My 4yo wanted to spend most of his time there instead of going swimming - and he likes to swim. I went to pick up my 6yo once and he was so angry with me for taking him away from all of the fun. They were going to play some sort of wrap the mummy game and he wanted to see them "use a whole roll of toilet paper." Don't worry about the child - she will be fine and you will have a little bit of alone time.

Here is a link that Wennfred posted for your age group:

http://members.cox.net/wennfred3/2-5.html

Thanks for posting that. I still don't know if my kids will choose to stay or not (they haven't been to preschool yet, but they like the YMCA drop in program). If they choose to go, I'm sure they will have a blast with all those activities and I might actually get a little time alone with DH :eek:

My kids were 6 and 3 the first time and I couldn't pull them out of CC without a fight. They didn't even want to get off the boat at the ports. LOL I had to make them. Don't worry..they will make her feel very welcome and once you spend some time watching..you will feel fine about it too.

Welcome to CC :D

My kids (ages 2 and 6 at the time) had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of Camp every night at 10:30 cause I wanted to go to bed.

The security is TIGHT at camp carnvial. There is a high door that is locked. To get my kids out I had to peek over and I was NOT allowed inside. Then after I produced my sea pass and signed for them, only then were they allowed out.

There is a Family cruising board here at CC. We talk about all kinds of things concerning kids and cruising, including camp carnival.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I am also taking the kids (6,8,10 and 12) on their first cruise in June. Does anyone know the difference between Camp Carnival and what they describe as "babysitting" services, other than CC is free and babysitting isn't? Is CC only up until a certain time of night?

Sorry if this is a hijack, ssac, didn't mean it to be.

Does anyone know the difference between Camp Carnival and what they describe as "babysitting" services, other than CC is free and babysitting isn't? Is CC only up until a certain time of night?

I think the main difference is that up until 10:00 when babysitting starts, Camp Carnival has scheduled, structured activities that may take place outside Camp Carnival for the older kids (not the 2-5 group). After 10, all the kids stay right in Camp Carnival and have "quieter" activities.

I am also taking the kids (6,8,10 and 12) on their first cruise in June. Does anyone know the difference between Camp Carnival and what they describe as "babysitting" services, other than CC is free and babysitting isn't? Is CC only up until a certain time of night?

I think the main difference is that up until 10:00 when babysitting starts, Camp Carnival has scheduled, structured activities that may take place outside Camp Carnival for the older kids (not the 2-5 group). After 10, all the kids stay right in Camp Carnival and have "quieter" activities.

Also, there is a charge for the services after 10 pm, $6 for your first child, and $4 for each additional sibling. These fees also apply if they want to go to the late night parties.

This is Carnival's page where they explain the babysitting:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/babysitting.aspx

The security is TIGHT at camp carnvial. There is a high door that is locked. To get my kids out I had to peek over and I was NOT allowed inside. Then after I produced my sea pass and signed for them, only then were they allowed out.

I have sailed on RC and Carnival with my kids and the kids thought the Carnival program was better then RC. My dd was in the youngest age group for both cruises- so there is more security for the 5 and under group. RC seemed to have less strict policies with their younger kids. Carnival was much more secure with the check-in check-out procedure. Even if they knew who you were and which kid was yours (and they do by the second day) they still went through the whole routine of checking the signatures and sea pass. I also like the fact that the younger kids do not leave the secure area for activities, once they are there they stay there.

Since my boys are older I know they need a little more freedom and the counselors for the older groups are very attentive even though the group can be more spread out.

While onboard the Valor last year, I went up and spoke to the Camp Carnival Director because I wanted to take pictures of the inside of Camp Carnival so that I can post them here so everyone can see what Camp Carnival looked like inside and to also show what they had in the rooms and on the walls etc. After day 3, I was told because my company did not inform them I was going to do a review about them, I could not take pictures of the inside of Camp Carnival and was denied access. Even thou I was requesting to go in when they were closed and no kids were around, they still said no.

That goes to show you that they are serious about security when it comes to your kids.

Fred

We are sailing on Conquest on 6/17. My daughter will be 2 on 7/27. Do you think they will let her in Camp Carnival?

Carnival adheres to the age policy for switching between age groups- my 8 yo wanted to be with his brother in the older group and they would not allow him to move up. I would venture to say they probalby will not allow your daughter to go into the kids club if she is not yet 2. And, because they have the ship's list of passengers with dates of birth they will know her exact age.

That will be fine if they do not allow her...they will just be following the rules. Now, that's not to say we won't ask, but if they say no, we aren't going to press the issue. We'll take her in for the "under 2" free play so she can have a little fun in there. Others have mentioned letting their little ones burn some energy when the theater is empty...I'm definitely going to keep that in mind. :)

Archived