Golden Princess or the Noordam to Alaska

Travelgirl2007

I've never been on the Noordam but I do know that both HAL and Princess are highly-respected cruiselines to use when going to Alaska. My guess is that the pax demographics would be somewhat similar since Alaska is usually a family cruise destination. There might be differences but there will also be pluses and minus' to both. Probably the biggest difference is that on Princess, you have the option of Anytime dining; on HAL, you don't. Go with the itinerary, cabin selection and price you're willing to pay. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I have been on Zuiderdam (sister to Noordan) and Grand/Crown (sisters to Golden). I have read somewhere that Golden is showing its age. I would choose Noordam since it is a newer ship and holds fewer people. I believe that most Alaska cruises will have an older passenger age except for Carnival. Whatever you do, make sure you book a balcony cabin. Alaska is all about watching the unbelievable scenery and best place to do it is from the comfort of your own balcony.

We cruised on the Noordam this January and I loved it. It's a beautiful ship, our balcony cabin was gorgeous with a flat screen tv and a great mattress. The service was top notch and the food was fine. Plus the central pool on the Noordam has a retractable glass roof so you'll be able to swim even if it's cold in Alaska. We almost booked the Alsaka cruise for this summer but ended up booking on the Crown Princess with some friends instead. If it is close to being as wonderful as the Noordam I'll be thrilled.

About the same age.. the Sister HAL Ship MS Noordam IV is the first season to Alaska. We have been aboard here three voyages so far and yes when she was not used to human habitation too...

The Golden does carry many more souls.Plus and Minus in each depending how YoU lOOK upon that..

If I had all being equal. I do think I would go aboard the Carnival HAL Line Ship .

Remember HAL started the Cruise business Rotterdam to NYC.. and as well the Alaska Cruises also owned the Rail Cars/Motor Coaches...we used to call those vehicles buses... and they owned the Land and Lodges too.. so yes HAL has been the Leader in Alaska from the start. Princess one of Carnivals (CCL:NYSE CUK:LSE) newest lines is great and we have been on her fine vessels as well.

The crews do have a different staffing. Culinary delights vary..

Have you ever been to a Royal Dutch High Tea? What a wonderful event.

Princess does serve High Tea in an English Tradition ...

There are always plus and minus in most things so its your personal American Choice now.

:cool:

PS: July is a wonderful time for viewing wildlife and the many variations of Salmon.. Bald Eagles are like crows there in those months...

Yes take Land Tours and see as much as possible the Sunlight up North near the 38th is the what 20-21 a day nearer the arctic circle..:eek:

Has anyone been on both? I am reserved on the Noordam for this July, but am having second thoughts about the pax age and lack of entertainment on the Noordam. Help!!! I only have a few days to decide before I have to pay in full for the cruise.

Archived