IF someone could give me some advise on how to get to LUCCA from the PORT in LIVORNO when we dock. I will be on BOS aug 30.. we would like to see LUCCA since we have already been to FLORENCE, .. what else on the way to LUCCA.. how long to spend there? Can we do PISA TOO?

thanks

The web site http://www.trenitalia.it has train schedules from Livorno to Lucca. There are no direct trains and in most cases you will have to change in Pisa, which gives you an opportunity for a quick look at the Piazza del Miracoli with the Leaning Tower if you haven't seen it. The timing is tight but you can see both Lucca and a bit of Pisa in one day. The No. 1 bus marked Stazione goes by the port on the way to the train station in Livorno, but getting to the bus depends on where your ship will dock and whether there will be shuttle busses into town. You will probably have to ask around on arriving in Livorno.

You're probably aware, but RCI does have a ship's excursion to Lucca.

I think it does, from what I have read... it's a walking tour of LUCCA...

There is where we might want to do it from the ship I guess, if there is no easy way to get from LIVORNO to the town of LUCCA.

You can check RCI's website, it lists all of the excursions... I think it's under the heading of "Before you Board" then select Shore Excursions, Europe, Livorno. They also have a half day tour to Pisa, so if you had the cash and were so inclined, you could do both.

You can check RCI's website, it lists all of the excursions... I think it's under the heading of "Before you Board" then select Shore Excursions, Europe, Livorno. They also have a half day tour to Pisa, so if you had the cash and were so inclined, you could do both.

AS you suggested.. i went there.. and foudn this

A Walk Through Lucca

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours 15 Minutes

Adult: 52.00 (USD) | Child: 40.00 (USD)

For those who have already experienced the well-known sights of Florence and Pisa, this half-day tour will provide an opportunity to explore the charming yet historical town of Lucca. Enjoy a guided walk through this Tuscan town that has a colorful history stretching back to the days of the ancient Etruscans and is also known for its Renaissance walls that once encircled the town for protection.

Leave the port of Livorno and drive northwest through the Tuscan countryside to the town of Lucca. Your coach will park outside the city walls and you will begin your walking tour through the town. Founded as a home to the Etruscans, the city was also an early Roman colony as well as a prosperous silk-trading center during the Renaissance. In its long history, Lucca has been part of the Pisan Republic, Napoleon’s French Empire, and an independent city-state. Stroll from piazza to piazza, learn the city’s history, and see the Piazza San Michele, the Via Fillilungo, Torre delle Ore, Piazza Dell’Anfiteatro, and the Duomo. Lucca’s Romanesque Cathedral dates from the 12th century and features a façade with elaborate reliefs and columns. The Gothic interior features a devotional Volto Santo, an image of Christ on the cross, supposedly carved by Nicodemused, a purported witness of the crucifixion. The Duomo also boasts Tintoretto's magnificent painting of the Last Supper. You will stop for photos in Piazza Dell’Anfiteatro, the oval-shaped piazza occupies the site of a former Roman amphitheater; the surrounding building were built on the theater’s foundations. You will have free time to browse in the shops along Lucca’s exclusive Via Fillilungo or enjoy a stop in one of the local cafés. At the end of the tour, retrace your journey back to the ship.

Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 2 miles over even and cobblestone surfaces with few steps. Time permitting; guests will have approximately 30 minutes for shopping and browing while in Lucca. Should a mass service be taking place in the Duomo, the guide will make an outside explanation and guests will enter on an individual basis to view the interior quietly and reverently. Photography and video are not permitted inside the Cathedral. Tour sequence may be altered to avoid congestion. The shopping hours and closure dates should be reviewed in the introduction section of Livorno.

WONDER IF I COULD FIND A GUIDE/TAXI TO TAKE US FROM LIVORNO TO LUCCA FOR A TOUR?????

ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN?

A few years ago, we were in the same, excuse the pun, boat as you are now. We had been to Florence and wanted something different. There are quite a few taxis where the ship docks but if you don't find one there, the ships usually provide a shuttle bus into town... our's did. We arranged a price with a taxi driver and drove is to Lucca and then made a stop in Pisa. We had been to Pisa before but it's only 15 or 10 minutes from Lucca. You can now climb up the tower since they've anchored it. In any case, I can't rave enough about Lucca. We left the taxi and entered the walled city on our own. It was amazing. It's not huge so we were able to cover most of it by walking. We stopped at an outdoor cafe for lunch then stopped again for a gelato... wonderful. It was the best, just exploring at our own pace, doing what we wanted to do, going where we wanted to do. We were very happy we didn't opt for a tour. To the best of my recollection the price was $150 to $200 for 5 to 6 hours. The drive from Livorno to Lucca was about 45 minutes.

Sandy

Thanks for your response on Lucca , I have been looking at the ports of call Europe to see if there was anything else to do in Florence . This will be our 3rd Med cruise on Brilliance .We have been to Pisa and to the winery in Tuscany .

Lucca looks like a possiblity for this time in October .

If there was just the 2 of us it might be cheaper to do the ships tour but ditch the guide when you want to do your own thing and meet up for the ride on the coach home .:)

IF someone could give me some advise on how to get to LUCCA from the PORT in LIVORNO when we dock. I will be on BOS aug 30.. we would like to see LUCCA since we have already been to FLORENCE, .. what else on the way to LUCCA.. how long to spend there? Can we do PISA TOO?

thanks

We hired a private driver .. spent the day in Lucca and Pisa.. it was wonderful.

Be sure and save time to walk on the wall in Lucca. It's now a park. Beautiful! Also if you have time, climb the tower with the tree growing out the top. Expansive views of Lucca.

We loved Lucca! :D The housewares chain "La Bottega di Mama Ro" is based in Lucca.

Pisa is great also - the most incredible Cathedral outside St. Peters in Rome IMHO. Also the amazing cemetary and the baptistry. So much more than just the leaning tower.

We did both Pisa and Lucca by cab in one day. In 2001 it was $180 for a minivan we shared with two other couples. Negotiate...

Have a great time!

Joe

Archived