A tip for those travelling to Europe for the first time!

http://www.urinelle.biz

I was very happy I had this in Rome!

Verrrry interrresting. The first time I was in St Petersberg, we stopped at a public facility, and we paid $.25 for 5 squares of toilet paper. I learned to carry some with me, as well as sanitizing wipes and gel for the hands. What happens if 5 squares aren't enough?

Something I find handy is the travel pack of "personal wipes." They double as toilet paper and hand wipes.

Best bathrooms EVER in my travels were in Israel. Even the park bathrooms were nice. One had a little sign on it saying the park was sponsored by a Hadassah group from the US. Thank you ladies! Worst ever were in Ireland. Worse than anything I've seen in the Caribbean or Mexico.

Viv

Thanks for the tips and agree that Israel was best - although Egypt has to be in the running for the WORST bathrooms ever.

I have one in a town close to where I live. The loo is spotless, fresh flowers, hanging baskets, pictures on walls etc.

As ratty as some on this board think Blackpool is, there is a loo of the year there too!

Thanks for the tips and agree that Israel was best - although Egypt has to be in the running for the WORST bathrooms ever.

I second that! We were met by an incredibly old woman at the ladies loos in the Egyptology museum in Cairo. She wouldn't let us in unless we paid £1 (Egyptian £). She then gripped my arm and shoved me into a cubicle and thrust just one piece of toilet paper at me - that's all you're allowed. The toilet was blocked to the top and there was no way I could use it. I left the cubicle and was on my way out when the old woman came after me wanting the piece of toilet paper back!

You've also got to be careful in a lot of the Greek islands. I've never had a problem with cleanliness in their loos, but their drainage pipework is very narrow and you can't put any paper down the pan. You have to use it, then put it into a bin next to the toilet. Sometimes you nearly pass out when you lift the lid ....:eek:

And while we're on the subject of foreign facilities . . .

In Paris' date=' they have what look like large green porta-potties on the major streets. You have to pay to open the door, so sometimes if you're short on coinage, it can be tempting to have another member of your party just slide in after you're done, thus eliminating the need to pay again to get the door back open.[/size']

Don't do it.

When the door closes after the toilet has been used, the door is automatically locked and the entire cabin is sprayed down with disinfectant, then flash dryed. It makes for very sanitary facilities, but it also creates a very sticky situation for the "thrifty" second person. :o

R U KIDDING US? Are you teasing me? Is this a story???

Wow! They MUST be clean!

Thnaks everyone for the good first timer tips......

• 1 month later...

I was on a cruise tour bus trip last year in Barcelona. I went into a rather grotty looking toilet where the bus had stopped for a convenience break. Inside were about 10 or more American ladies, all saying "Gross ...Oh my goodness... etc. I was still trying to decide which was going to win ..my bladder or my nose....when a little old lady pushed past us all saying, "out off my way ladies,,I have been to China " !!

I second that! We were met by an incredibly old woman at the ladies loos in the Egyptology museum in Cairo. She wouldn't let us in unless we paid £1 (Egyptian £). She then gripped my arm and shoved me into a cubicle and thrust just one piece of toilet paper at me - that's all you're allowed. The toilet was blocked to the top and there was no way I could use it. I left the cubicle and was on my way out when the old woman came after me wanting the piece of toilet paper back!

You've also got to be careful in a lot of the Greek islands. I've never had a problem with cleanliness in their loos, but their drainage pipework is very narrow and you can't put any paper down the pan. You have to use it, then put it into a bin next to the toilet. Sometimes you nearly pass out when you lift the lid ....:eek:

Mim why did you not plug the most filmed loo in europe the philharmonic pub, they are marble, they are heaven, regards Di O Rea

Believe it or not, I've never been in the Philharmonic pub! Everybody tells me that the loos are the best thing about it though. I don't know why I never went there especially considering that I used to work in the college over the road. I'll definitely make a point of going in next time I'm in the city centre!! :)

Archived