Maitre'd bottom fishing for tips

steveaaaa

We always tip the Maitre D' because they perform a special service for us on every cruise. Our son is autistic and has panic attacks around people in costume. The MD comes to our table and lets us know when the "pictures" are going on outside the door way so we can go up the stairs or use an alternative exit to avoid them.

We enjoyed our Maitre' D on the Freedom, Dino, but did not leave a tip for him. We discussed doing so, but felt that since we didn't use his services directly, we would opt not to tip him. We had no issues in the dining room, and though he greeted us each evening, and anytime he saw us throughout the cruise in other parts of the ship, we felt we wanted to use put our money to additionally tipping other crew members who were of great(er) assistance to us.

Yeah, why not???? I second that, let's start tipping the Captain ;) :D :p

Hi Captain.......we usually bring the captain of every ship we sail on some good old kentucky bourbon......never had a complaint yet. He He:D

we were on freedom april 19 sailing and if you had ken bryne as Maitre'd you would unstand why, this guy is great and the best. I had a cold one night and he had chicken soup made just for me calling the chef to order it on his cell phone, several nights. He also sang songs prior to waiters etc did they dance and songs. If you needed anything he took care of it, they all should be like ken.

we were on the same cruise, and we thought ajimi was great. We tipped him as well because we felt he deserved it. He came to our table every night we ate at the dining room. And we spoke to him frequently outside of the dining room.

We were on the Inspiration in November 2006 and dined in the Mardi Gras room. Our MD was named Ferhard (first name). Does anyone know if he's still there or if it's the same name as ajimi? He was also the one who narrated the galley tour. The other was George the Greek in the Carnival room.

We were on the Inspiration in November 2006 and dined in the Mardi Gras room. Our MD was named Ferhard (first name). Does anyone know if he's still there or if it's the same name as ajimi? He was also the one who narrated the galley tour. The other was George the Greek in the Carnival room.

He was there for our New Years sailing (I forgot to mention his name as well!!). He is a very nice fellow - we talked with him for about half an hour over a couple of nights. He even arranged for a couple of roses for Cheryl one evening at dinner instead of the "stock" daisy. No Charge :D

121499419-L.jpg

Tom

The maitre'd on the Miracle was a very nice gentlemen who did make it a point to visit as many tables as he could at least several evenings. He also lead the galley visit and answered questions for that.

Did not tip him as I think what he provided is reasonable for his position and not something specail that deserves a tip

Tom, Thank you! I greatly appreciate the information and the picture of him. It's a great pic. You wouldn't happen to know his last name?

No, I sure don't...

Perhaps we will run into him again - we have sailed with a few of them more than once. Always nice to see familiar faces, and to be recognized too!

Tom

Why is it that a fat salaried position needs to fish for tips. Why does the cruiseline encourage it by dropping off an envelope in your cabin for the Maitre'd.

What point is the job anyway?

I know I would not complain to him about my waiter.That is how your food gets spit into.

Is it to stop jeans in the dining room?Well they are not doing that good of a job.

Is it to assign your table? Why not have open seating on the first night and you get to keep that table for the whole cruise.

Why all the pomp and circumstance? Dressed up like a penguin stopping by each table for 1 minute at the start of the cruise and at the end of the cruise.

Is he the band leader of that poor singing we must endure?

Is he in charge of excessive Birthday and Anniversary cakes? How can there be so many?

Steve

PS. I figured it out...Someone must keep the Red,White,and Blue team scores.:rolleyes:

I'm sure the Maitre'd is doing a lot of "behind the scenes" services for you to make sure you have an enjoyable experience.We have cruised for about 20 years now and have found that if there is any dinning problems they are there to straight it out to your satisfaction.Although you may not see it most of them do an excellent job for all passangers

I'm sure the Maitre'd is doing a lot of "behind the scenes" services for you to make sure you have an enjoyable experience.We have cruised for about 20 years now and have found that if there is any dinning problems they are there to straight it out to your satisfaction.Although you may not see it most of them do an excellent job for all passangers

So does the Captain, Head of Housekeeping,Head of Security,ect but they also are salaried positions.

So if you went to Red Lobster and for some reason you needed to call the Manager over, you would tip him later as you left?

Steve

Ferhard is no longer there. Its Ajimi in the Mardi Gras and George the Greek in the Carnivale now. Ajimi narrated the galley tour last week.

here is Ajimi

p1030180ff3.jpg

Ferhard is no longer there. Its Ajimi in the Mardi Gras and George the Greek in the Carnivale now. Ajimi narrated the galley tour last week.

here is Ajimi

p1030180ff3.jpg

Hey Indie

thanks for the memory - we thot he was the best - first one I've seen checking lido deck meals and midnight buffets and lots of fun

Sorry we missed the meet and greet - was waiting by pizza area instead of the pool LOL:eek: (pizza meet had been for a different cruise - and I hadnt even had the drink of the day:D )

Hey Indie

thanks for the memory - we thot he was the best - first one I've seen checking lido deck meals and midnight buffets and lots of fun

Sorry we missed the meet and greet - was waiting by pizza area instead of the pool LOL:eek: (pizza meet had been for a different cruise - and I hadnt even had the drink of the day:D )

you know what, I forgot all about the meet and greet through all the excitement of our first cruise. I didnt remember until right before muster drill, and i still couldnt remember where we were supposed to meet or what time.

my last cruise was completed on the summit in march 2007,......the matre'de was at our table several times during the cruise......he de boned my wifes duck for her ....on lobster nite he removed it from the shell for all guests on board they do do the extra thing now and then and if we fell we got the extras we like to reward them with a little something extra''''''''''''

have a great day!!!

mart

Hey Indie

Hi Indie,

Thanks for letting me know about Ferhard. Do you know if he transferred to another ship or possibly on vacation when you sailed? How did you find out he was no longer there?

George the Greek make dining an event, we had more fun in that dining room! Just got back today. We tipped him and we think he deserved it. He was funny, informative, and was there every night, greeted everyone as they entered, and stopped by tables. It was something we looked forward to every night. I won't say he made the trip, but he sure did add to it.

George the Greek make dining an event, we had more fun in that dining room! Just got back today. We tipped him and we think he deserved it. He was funny, informative, and was there every night, greeted everyone as they entered, and stopped by tables. It was something we looked forward to every night. I won't say he made the trip, but he sure did add to it.

Did you tip the cruise director?

He is funny,informative,directed the entertainment every day and night which I am sure you looked forward to.Everytime you picked up the capers,that was his doing.He did your welcome aboard,Disembarkation and even your shore tour talks.

Steve

Sjohnson I have to agree with you George the Greek is the BOMB!! We had him in Nov of last year. We wasnt happy with the table we had, (didn't want to say anything the first night) he came by 3 times asking if everything was ok?? Before we told him we wanted to change tables. (it was a odd shaped table in the back corner) We was the only ones sitting at it. When we showed up the next night at new table he was there to inroduce us. He told the others at table we was his Bro and Sister in Law. LOL

Archived