Waiters pooling tips

steveaaaa

I was just speaking with some friends who got off a ship Yesterday and they told me how wonderful the waiter and assistant were.They were served quick,ect,ect.

What shocked me was he told me the waiter had only 2 booths both for 6 people (12 total) ,while others had a minimum of 20 people.

If they all pool tips, why do some people pull a larger load?

Steve

When I was on the Destiny in November, our head waitress said that teams are assigned new areas in the dining room every 8 weeks or so. She said that typically staff serve fewer people per table but more tables (ie 8 tables of 2 each) or more people per table but fewer tables. Either way, she said that servers average 20 or so diners per sitting. On our cruise, she and her assistant were responsible for two tables of 8 plus one table for 6. She also said that the previous assigment was for 10 tables of 2 on the upper level of the dining room.

Not sure why anyone going on a cruise cares.

When you go into a Sears or Kmart store... do you worry or care how the workload is divided and whether the pay of the employees is equitable...? Or do you go there to shop for what you need while expecting proper service...?

Why would you give a rats *ss about the employees aboard the ship when you have just kicked out $2000 to $3000 for a vacation...? That is the job of Carnival Cruise Line. Let them run the ship... and everyone else should be enjoying their vacation.

Just TIP the $10 pp/Day and get on with your vacation.

You're on vacation... just relax and enjoy it... :)

I'm confused. Are you referring to waiters pooling tips which we give them personally? Our waiters have always assured us that they "tip down" and share with their assistants whatever we give them , but have never indicated that they pool tips. Did I miss something?

Not sure why anyone going on a cruise cares.

When you go into a Sears or Kmart store... do you worry or care how the workload is divided and whether the pay of the employees is equitable...? Or do you go there to shop for what you need while expecting proper service...?

Why would you give a rats *ss about the employees aboard the ship when you have just kicked out $2000 to $3000 for a vacation...? That is the job of Carnival Cruise Line. Let them run the ship... and everyone else should be enjoying their vacation.

Just TIP the $10 pp/Day and get on with your vacation.

You're on vacation... just relax and enjoy it... :)

Agreed, but the $10 per day must be adjustable (down) if necessary.

I'm confused. Are you referring to waiters pooling tips which we give them personally? Our waiters have always assured us that they "tip down" and share with their assistants whatever we give them ' date=' but have never indicated that they pool tips. Did I miss something?[/quote']

I don't get why you would even be interested in what these people make?

Where I come from it is considered rude to question people about how much money they make. Or what they do with the money they do make.

I just never understand why people on a cruise think they have the right to ask their wait staff how much money they get and where does it go.

How insulted would you be if they started asking you how much you make and what do you do with your money? Who do you have to share it with? How much are your monthly bills?

LOL, more than likely your answer would be "none of your business".

I would never even think of asking someone I don't even know how much money they make and what they do with it.

What possible difference does it make to you anyway? Are you going to change the way you tip?

Do you ask the waitress these questions in every land based restaurant you go into?

Ventureman,

I guess someone cares or they wouldn't ask the question. People do tend to get attached to their servers when they are treated good. My guess is thats why they give a Rats A**.Thanks so much for your smart a** reply.

Tom

Where I come from it is considered rude to question people about how much money they make. Or what they do with the money they do make.

I just never understand why people on a cruise think they have the right to ask their wait staff how much money they get and where does it go.

How insulted would you be if they started asking you how much you make and what do you do with your money? Who do you have to share it with? How much are your monthly bills?

I would never even think of asking someone I don't even know how much money they make and what they do with it.

What possible difference does it make to you anyway? Are you going to change the way you tip?

Do you ask the waitress these questions in every land based restaurant you go into?

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. We've only asked waiters about protocol, wondering if our additional tips would go to their wait staff as a team, or if we needed to take care of them individually. We've always been well served by wait staff, and want to show our appreciation appropriately. I'm sure you understand.

Agreed, but the $10 per day must be adjustable (down) if necessary.

According to Carnival website you can:

faq.gifspacer.gifWhat is the tipping policy onboard?spacer.gifGuests can pay their shipboard gratuities in one of two ways:

1. Reverse Gratuity Policy - For our guests' convenience, we automatically add the recommended gratuities to the onboard Sail & Sign account on embarkation day.

Guests will have the discretion to adjust these gratuities based upon the level of service received during the cruise. This includes the option to adjust gratuities (up or down) for any individual on the Dining or Housekeeping staff. In order to do so, the guest will need to visit the Information Desk on board.

Damn...do you need assistance with removing that stick? :rolleyes: :eek:

Damn...do you need assistance with removing that stick? :rolleyes: :eek:

LOL, no but I need assistance as to understand why anyone thinks it's proper to ask people how they get paid. Or what happens to tips above and beyond the suggested amount you decide to give them.

When I tip my maid, I don't question her how much the other families tip her.

Or does she share it with her helper that she occasionally has with her. Quite frankly, that is none of my business. I tip her because I am pleased with the job she does.

I'm confused. Are you referring to waiters pooling tips which we give them personally? Our waiters have always assured us that they "tip down" and share with their assistants whatever we give them ' date=' but have never indicated that they pool tips. Did I miss something?[/quote']

Steveaaaaa always comes up w/something off the wall.

Waiters do NOT pool the automatic tips from passengers that are on the Sail & Sign accounts. That money goes to them personally. The cabin steward gets his $3.50 per passenger per day, and the dining room waiter gets $5.50, which he shares with his assistant. The extra $1 per day IS shared w/all Lido Deck dining personnel.

From what several employees have told me, ONLY if someone removes their auto tips and tips in CASH are they honor-bound to pool that money. Not quite fair is it? That's why all tips should be left on the account and it goes to the proper person.

Now - if you're talking about leaving all tips in place on your account, and THEN tipping a bit extra here and there - THOSE tips are theirs to keep - no pooling involved.:)

Steveaaaaa always comes up w/something off the wall.

Waiters do NOT pool the automatic tips from passengers that are on the Sail & Sign accounts. That money goes to them personally. The cabin steward gets his $3.50 per passenger per day, and the dining room waiter gets $5.50, which he shares with his assistant. The extra $1 per day IS shared w/all Lido Deck dining personnel.

From what several employees have told me, ONLY if someone removes their auto tips and tips in CASH are they honor-bound to pool that money. Not quite fair is it? That's why all tips should be left on the account and it goes to the proper person.

Now - if you're talking about leaving all tips in place on your account, and THEN tipping a bit extra here and there - THOSE tips are theirs to keep - no pooling involved.:)

Thanks for the straight forward info. Refreshing (big sigh).

Cotton,

You are correct. They removed all the tips per my advise and tipped in cash.It also does not seem fair that someone could do less work for an equal share.

I still wonder if the pooling/autotip,ect thing is true.We may never really know unless we get a former waiter to spill the beans. It also seems odd that with so many ships,waiters,ect that we never have had a waiter on this board. Is there some sort of confidentiality thing going on?

Steve

Pay them all a wage.

I have been led to believe that the head waiter has a higher salary than the helper/busboy. Seems to us the helper does a lot more running so we always give him more in the extra tip than the waiter's extra tip:)

Ventureman,

I guess someone cares or they wouldn't ask the question. People do tend to get attached to their servers when they are treated good. My guess is thats why they give a Rats A**.Thanks so much for your smart a** reply.

Tom

Nice value added reply... :rolleyes:

Except for your whining about my post... you added nothing here... :cool:

Pay them all a wage.

But that would cost the cruise line more money. In a sense, we are helping to pay their salaries. Which I'm not complaining about, just for the record! :)

I am a server (not on a ship, although I wish! lol) and I'd quite honestly rather take a gamble and have my customers pay about 80% of my wages. I always provide excellent service so I'm OK with that! :D

I'd probably only make minimum wage or slightly above if my employer paid me hourly. Taking an average of my hourly wage ($3.65/hr, used to be $3.09 until minimum wage went up) and my tips received during a shift, I average about $17-$19/hour. Not bad for a part time job! I'm also a full time college student and a Mom of three wonderful kids, so every dollar counts.

There is no way my employer (or most employers for that matter) is going to pay a server that much money on an hourly basis.

But that would cost the cruise line more money. In a sense, we are helping to pay their salaries. Which I'm not complaining about, just for the record! :)

I am a server (not on a ship, although I wish! lol) and I'd quite honestly rather take a gamble and have my customers pay about 80% of my wages. I always provide excellent service so I'm OK with that! :D

I'd probably only make minimum wage or slightly above if my employer paid me hourly. Taking an average of my hourly wage ($3.65/hr, used to be $3.09 until minimum wage went up) and my tips received during a shift, I average about $17-$19/hour. Not bad for a part time job! I'm also a full time college student and a Mom of three wonderful kids, so every dollar counts.

There is no way my employer (or most employers for that matter) is going to pay a server that much money on an hourly basis.

How would you like all your tips pooled and to have them split at the end of the night with the other servers for an equal share? Especially when you had twice as many tables(diners/seats,ect) as another server.

Steve

Nice value added reply... :rolleyes:

Except for your whining about my post... you added nothing here... :cool:

I was just trying to emulate your post. Now looking back, I think that I'll never be able to match your wit or Sma** A@@ come backs. I will now crawl back into my hole as I am far less superior than you:cool:

Tom

Steve- why do you think the tips are pooled?? Posting that information could be misleading to people who have not cruised before.

They are not--unless you took your tips off the sign and sail card and gave cash-- you in turned ripped your workers off.

IF you leave the tips on your card-- the workers get to keep it all.

if you tipped extra in cash on top of that-- they get to keep all of that too.

If you took the tip off the card and tipped in cash-- that money then went into a pool.

You will have some servers only waiting on two tables.. and some working 3-4 tables. Experience gives that that opportunity. (I for one would not want an inexperienced person waiting too many tables)

He will get his tip for those two tables only. Experince will get him more tables.. which to me seems fair.

Same with cabin stewards-- some work only 4 cabins some will work 10- they willnot get the same tips.

As for thinking they dont get paid very much-- with tips some of these people can make almsot 2000 a week.

Archived