Weather in Saint John

It's probably a bit too early to tell - the weather is changeable. We sailed Victory three years ago to Saint John and Halifax - Saint John on 6/30 was cloudy and cool, while 7/1 in Halifax was sunny and very warm. We needed sweatshirts in Saint John, while shorts and tees were in order the next day in Halifax. I'd be prepared for anything - check the forecast right before you leave.

We will be in Saint John NB at the end of June. What kind of weather can we expect?

Hi there. I live in Saint John - best thing I can tell you is June is typically one of our nicer months but fog is a definite possibility. I would bring shorts but have a jacket handy in case you get some fog.

Any other questions let me know

Hi there. I live in Saint John - best thing I can tell you is June is typically one of our nicer months but fog is a definite possibility. I would bring shorts but have a jacket handy in case you get some fog.

We are signed up to take the Trolley around Saint John, is this a pretty good way to see Saint John and the waterfall and how far away from the peir is the marketplace/local shopping for souveneirs?

• 3 weeks later...
We are signed up to take the Trolley around Saint John, is this a pretty good way to see Saint John and the waterfall and how far away from the peir is the marketplace/local shopping for souveneirs?

Depending on how fast you walk the shopping area is five to ten minutes from the pier. I have seen the horse drawn trolley making its way about the city and have often thought I might like to take it myself sometime as it seems a restful way to see the city.

I assume by the "waterfall" you are thinking about the Reversing Falls. It is not a waterfall, but rather a set of very extreme rapids at the mouth of the river which reverse direction with the tide. There is a 40 to 50 foot difference between high and low tide, depending on the phases of the moon. It is interesting to view the falls at low tide and then go back and look again at high tide. You can take a taxi to the park or you can walk. The best way is to walk along the Harbour Passage which starts behind the Hilton.--which you will see from the ship. At the end of the passage go up the stairs and cross the road and head up the hill away from the harbour. It is a short street which ends at Douglas Avenue where you turn left and walk about a quarter of a mile to the street that goes into the falls to the right. I think it is called Fallsview or something like that. Don't hesitate to ask for directions. Saint Johners are very friendly and are always happy to help out.

You can also get a water taxi by the "lighthouse" outside the Hilton (if they run it again this year) This will take you to the area by the Fallsview Restaurant where you can get somewhat of a view. For a better view, walk accross the bridge, turn left onto Douglas Avenue and then take your first left into the street that leads to the falls. Again I think it is called Fallsview but am not sure. I drive by it several times a week but we never notice what is right under our noses, do we?

Depending on how fast you walk the shopping area is five to ten minutes from the pier. I have seen the horse drawn trolley making its way about the city and have often thought I might like to take it myself sometime as it seems a restful way to see the city.

I assume by the "waterfall" you are thinking about the Reversing Falls. It is not a waterfall, but rather a set of very extreme rapids at the mouth of the river which reverse direction with the tide. There is a 40 to 50 foot difference between high and low tide, depending on the phases of the moon. It is interesting to view the falls at low tide and then go back and look again at high tide. You can take a taxi to the park or you can walk. The best way is to walk along the Harbour Passage which starts behind the Hilton.--which you will see from the ship. At the end of the passage go up the stairs and cross the road and head up the hill away from the harbour. It is a short street which ends at Douglas Avenue where you turn left and walk about a quarter of a mile to the street that goes into the falls to the right. I think it is called Fallsview or something like that. Don't hesitate to ask for directions. Saint Johners are very friendly and are always happy to help out.

You can also get a water taxi by the "lighthouse" outside the Hilton (if they run it again this year) This will take you to the area by the Fallsview Restaurant where you can get somewhat of a view. For a better view, walk accross the bridge, turn left onto Douglas Avenue and then take your first left into the street that leads to the falls. Again I think it is called Fallsview but am not sure. I drive by it several times a week but we never notice what is right under our noses, do we?

Here I am correcting my own directions. I took a drive by Harbour Passage today and since I last looked, it has been extended by a few hundred yards -----so now the place where you would climb the stairs and cross the road is not quite at the end of the passage. It is at the observation platform with the blue roof just across the street from the new townhouse development. The street you would walk up to get to Douglas Avenue is called Bentley Street. Hope this is not too confusing for you.

Sapper thanx for the info and after standing on my head with my tongue sticking out I figured out your directions they are clear as mud.(haha) BTW how far is it to the reversing falls from the ship?
Before making any plans to go to the reversing falls, you might want to check the tide and slack schedule. For us at the end of July, low slack will not happen until around the time our ship sails so no point in going for us.

Sapper thanx for the info and after standing on my head with my tongue sticking out I figured out your directions they are clear as mud.(haha) BTW how far is it to the reversing falls from the ship?

I would guess about a mile and a half--give or take. If you are physically fit it is a nice walk.

Before making any plans to go to the reversing falls, you might want to check the tide and slack schedule. For us at the end of July, low slack will not happen until around the time our ship sails so no point in going for us.

I haven't checked the tide tables for July but low slack should not be confused with low tide. At "slack " tide the rapids are not visable as the harbour level is equal to the river level and at that time it is possible to take a sailboat under power through the falls. There is about a half hour window twice in each tide cycle when this is possible---when the tide is coming in (high slack) and when the tide is going out--(low slack)--so the best time to view the falls is around the time of either high or low tide.

I have had the pleasure of going through the falls at slack tide many times but have not been brave enough to try the jet boat ride at high or low tides. I guess I have too much respect for the falls. Occasionally, an American boater will forget about the hour time difference between here and Maine and will attempt the trip through, only to find himself on the evening TV news with everyone watching his rescue!

I haven't checked the tide tables for July but low slack should not be confused with low tide. At "slack " tide the rapids are not visable as the harbour level is equal to the river level and at that time it is possible to take a sailboat under power through the falls. There is about a half hour window twice in each tide cycle when this is possible---when the tide is coming in (high slack) and when the tide is going out--(low slack)--so the best time to view the falls is around the time of either high or low tide.

I thought the main point for most tourists was to see the river "reversing" itself. If so, then doesn't one need to time their visit around the slacks, and not the high or low tides? Did I miss something? Or I suppose it's merely a question of whether one wants to see the 'reversing' or the 'falls' but one cannot see both. :)

I thought the main point for most tourists was to see the river "reversing" itself. If so, then doesn't one need to time their visit around the slacks, and not the high or low tides? Did I miss something? Or I suppose it's merely a question of whether one wants to see the 'reversing' or the 'falls' but one cannot see both. :)

There is a 12 hour period between low and high tides, so the change is quite gradual. If one has the time and patience, one could stay and watch the entire cycle. A lot of people check it out and then return several hours later to see the change.

I think it would be neat to see low and high tide myself so that I can get full appreciation of it, either way I think I am gonna see one or the other and say Holy **it.

Good idea--I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay in Saint John and that the weather is warm and sunny for you.

Hi nbsjcruiser

I see where you live in Saint John. I will be going there in September. I am wondering about the weather in September. I will be bringing jeans, capri's, long sleeve and short sleeves. Will this be ok? Do I need a sweatshirt/ Jacket? I am going on the 7 day Carnival Victory out of NY. Thanks!

Also is there anything we should not miss? I am not doing any ships excursions, but rather want to explore Saint John by foot or horse carriage. I had thought about doing the river boat cruise, up the Saint John's river, but am not sure about that now...thinking I would rather just see the city of Saint John.

Archived