Business Casual on board

Jane110

:D roflmbo:D ..... behave girls... or they'll be slinging the "catty" or "fashion police" names.... now carry on and give out some more good advice:D

catty? to whom? the deceased Emily Post? :)

Jane110!

First of all great to "see" you!

Secondly I am so LOL in the best way ever at your post here!;)

Thirdly, Off Topic, but please email me, or check your email as I'll be in Manhattan for a week or so in mid June (no need to talk about it here we can talk by email)

I've decided to wear a printed (tan/olive/sage) sheer silk voile tunic lenth top over a black cami and black pants w/ high heeled sage green snakeskin sandals and taupe/bronze snakskin clutch bag.

Now - I think this sound perfect for you!

Colors/tones and everything.

That being said, you know that I know what Business Casual means in NYC as opposed to say LA/Hollywood.

#1 Just dress according to what you personally are comfortable in, and your guy as well.

#2 For him, in Manhattan-ish area, it should just mean a nice dress shirt and comfortable but dressy pants/trousers...

#3 For you, I'm just saying...

Think of - if you had a "business" meeting at say either The Popover Cafe or Zen Palate (the one in the Upper West Side)...

On a Saturday or Sunday Brunch or Afternoon...

You want to be professional, but not over doing it, comfortable and looking good.

So, basically, just look "stylish" and "fitted" (for you and your guy), and I know this makes sense to you...

Where you are comfortable, could go from a brunch in Manhattan, to an afternoon maybe near the coast/beach in Long Island somewhere...

That will be perfect!

Enjoy!:D

CJW

Since it is evening, I would wear something that is more glamorous than business anything. For example, a pair of slacks, with jacket/blouse/cami that is suitable for an evening out. Add some fun jewelry and a good attitude and you are set.]

Jane,

That is my California side coming out. When I say "fun" for evening jewelry, it means something dazzling and unique.

I know you will have a great time.

Amy

The last pre-inaugural I did calling for business casual I wore beige trousers and... I forget what color.. but it was a cashmere twin set. This was for the Freedom OTS last May... and I froze!

This is too funny! Who invents the crazy fashion terminology that arrives on invites.....and what do they mean?

A cruise out of the NE, NEXT week? Please pack the DH a sportcoat, blazer or knockout sweater to go with the great slacks & shirt for the "business whatever" night! Others may well be wearing a jacket, & he'll be happy he's got it. Or..........he may just want a romantic stroll on deck with YOU. Either way, it's MAY on the water!...don't kill him off with pneumonia! Don't leave the jacket/blazer or sweater at home.

Such a short cruise...so much space.

Martha

Hey all,

Thanks for the posts. And Curt, nice to see you around here again.

I called RCCL yesterday about some other issues and asked again about the dress code and this time was told "Business". I told her that last week I was told "Business Casual" and she was more confused than I was. But they don't hire top exec's to answer the phone.

This afternoon as I was walking around something really hit me about this whole thing........

When I asked what people here thought constituted Business or Business Casual dress, everyone probably thought daytime office wear. Right?

Actually, since this is *dinner*, I should have phrased the question as "Business Dinner Wear" or "Business Casual Dinner wear". I think what we wear to a business dinner would often be different than what we'd wear to the office, no?

You know what? I've decided that RCCL doesn't know what they're talking about! How can they ask TA's to dress Biz and other invited guests to dress Biz Casual for the same dinner and then have their phone people not know the difference and give two different answers to the same question in two weeks? Sheesh I think they should hire me to write up the guidelines! :D

I'm no longer giving it any thought. I'm wearing what I want and since I'm in the fashion biz I'll probably be more dressed up than others anyway. I'm putting my little muffin of love in a button down linen shirt, gabardine trousers, a "dressy" sweater and his Ferragamo loafers and we'll be good to go.

Tomorrow I'm raiding the sample closet of a friend who designs couture eveningwear and I'll borrow something from him for formal night. In return, he wants me to give out his biz card to anyone who asks. Fair deal!

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess at this time next week, I'll be reporting on what everyone wore! :D

Jane,

That is my California side coming out. When I say "fun" for evening jewelry, it means something dazzling and unique.

I know you will have a great time.

Amy

Ahhhh.........you left coasters.....you're responsible for Valley Girl talk! :D

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm sure it'll be two days of fun.

Got the pedi today. Toes are ready to go!

This is too funny! Who invents the crazy fashion terminology that arrives on invites.....and what do they mean?

RCCL doesn't even know what they mean!

Such a short cruise...so much space.

Martha

Is that a problem? ;)

#3 For you, I'm just saying...

Think of - if you had a "business" meeting at say either The Popover Cafe or Zen Palate (the one in the Upper West Side)...

On a Saturday or Sunday Brunch or Afternoon...

You want to be professional, but not over doing it, comfortable and looking good.

So, basically, just look "stylish" and "fitted" (for you and your guy), and I know this makes sense to you...

Where you are comfortable, could go from a brunch in Manhattan, to an afternoon maybe near the coast/beach in Long Island somewhere...

That will be perfect!

Enjoy!:D

CJW

HUH? I'm reading two entirely different modes of dress from you.

Last week, I DID go to brunch at the Popover Cafe and I wore cotton pants, a casual cashmere waffle-knit cardigan over a fitted tee and a pair of flats. I'd never wear anything like that to dinner!

To me, brunch and dinner are very different modes of dress.

Well, I decided I'm ignoring RCCL since they don't even know their own dresscode! LOL!!!

Jane110:

Well........just to add more confusion, I asked my DH tonight just what HE thought was meant by: Business Formal and Business Casual!

He worked for over 20 years for high-end men's clothing manufacturers in New Bedford, Mass...in management. Strict code. He was pretty quick to answer for the guys....in about 2 seconds:

Business Formal= dinner evening, or MON-THURS workdays, ie 2 or 3 piece suit.

Business Casual=Friday, good slacks, great shirt, sportcoat/blazer w or/w. out tie, woven loafers & socks.

Business Saturday=collared (golf) shirt/khakis, topsiders or weegan-type, NO socks. (Don't they love to skip their socks!)

When I said: "Such a short cruise..so much space," I'm saying..take one of the muffin's good sportcoats too. Why not? He just might wear it. Either because others are....or it's practical because it's chilly in May on the decks. No big effort to take.

Can't wait to hear about the various interpretations you see. Martha

HUH? I'm reading two entirely different modes of dress from you.

Last week, I DID go to brunch at the Popover Cafe and I wore cotton pants, a casual cashmere waffle-knit cardigan over a fitted tee and a pair of flats. I'd never wear anything like that to dinner!

To me, brunch and dinner are very different modes of dress.

Well, I decided I'm ignoring RCCL since they don't even know their own dresscode! LOL!!!

I am SO Laughing Out Loud here!:D

First of all, I'm hysterical that I mention one of the places that you were at last week!:rolleyes:

Then, yes - reading back through your posts and answers previously, it seemed like you were talking lunch/brunch Manhattan Business casual, etc...

So that's why I was saying that...

Regardless of anything, you "rawk it" and absolutely, wear what is working for you and your guy...

I have no doubts in the world that you will be look "foine" and be comfortable on the cruise!;)

Just give us a fashion report when you get back!

Have fun, and a great time, and oh yeah a "blast"!

Whatver you decide for both of you will be POIFECT!

CJW

. OR, I might borrow something from a friend of mine who's a couture designer. His things sell for over $6000. and he said I can borrow anytime I like. Hmmm....may call him tomorrow. :)

Atta girl! Your attire sounds divine!

BTW, I cannot for the life of me find a photo of my new Prada platforms so I could post!

Blue Herons,

Phooey, I want to see the new Prada's. I wore my new Prada bag to dinner at Fig and Olive in the MeatPakcing district last night. We had a good time out. <g>

I called RCCL to ask about internet access while onboard and got two completely diffferent answers by two people. One said it was all hooked up including WiFi for laptops though he didn't know if access would be complimentary (like the cruise) or not but it would definitely be available. The other person that the computers were definitely not set up yet, so there will be no access either from the ship's computer's and no way for laptops to work.

(I called twice because I didn't want to lug my laptop if it isn't going to work).

They also didn't know what time we'd be getting off the ship so that I could have a car waiting to pick us up.

All this, plus the lack of knowledge about business and business casual dress code, just confirms my feelings that I shouldn't have even bothered asking about dress code in the first place because the phone representatives sound like high schoolers who have an afterschool job. One of my first lessons in corporate marketing was that the people who answer your phones and answer your customers questions are the Ambassadors which tell people how well run your business. So far, I'm underwhelmed with RCCL customer service in their home office.

Got a GORGEOUS evening wrap from my friend the couture designer!!! Still deciding between a simple black crepe gown w/ spaghetti straps, a black silk sleeveless,beaded gown w/ V-neck or black evening pants w/ black silk tank. I'm wearing black fishnet hose and black peau de soie high heeled shoes.

My wrap is SO outrageous it doesn't matter what I wear underneath it.

MY wrap has just been designed and he has no photo's of it yet, but here's another one of his pieces.

http://www.kennethdking.com/clothpeplumjkt.html

This is the shape of the wrap (minus the dress underneath), but again, the fabric's not rounded like this.

http://www.kennethdking.com/clothcocooncoat.html

Mine is a wrap, not a jacket. Instead of the curly edges like this one it's edges are cut into triangular shapes all over the wrap. Then intersperced between triangle pirces are skinny pieces of ribbon sticking out and each one has a tiny gold bead attached to the end. Very, very complicated and had to describe. He's an incredible designer and a master craftsman (he teaches couture technique to designers).

Archived