Business Casual on board

Jane110

DH and I have been invited to cruise for two nights on the pre-inaugural cruise on RCCL's Liberty of the Sea's next week. (lucky moi!)

The first night is "business casual" which has me a bit confused. For DH, I'm assuming it means dress shirt, dress pants and a blazer. Tie optional?

What does it mean for me? For business casual at work, I'd probably wear a pinstripe suit, high heeled sandals and a silk tee. Seems a bit too "citified" to wear at sea. I'm more of a pants person rather than skirts or dresses, so any recommendations? Just a blouse without a jacket isn't "business like".

Anyone ever go on a pre-inaugural cruise where this was requested? What do most people wear?

The second night is formal. Ugh......but at least I know what to wear!

Thanks.

Jane,

You have wonderful taste, so I'm sure whatever you chose will be perfect!

I have worked in various environments where we have worn "business casual" on Fridays. For some ladies this meant khakis and a golf shirt with Keds (ugh). I tend to wear either a skirt that is a bit more fun (colourful, or a fuller/more casual cut) or a pair of linen pants. On top I'll wear either a sweater set or a tank or cotton shirt with a lightweight jacket (lined or unlined). And sandals of course! I buy a lot of my clothes a Talbots, and most of their merchandise seems to be business casual.

Hope this helps a bit, and have a great time!

First of all, I wear my pinstripe pants suit for job interviews! (And I'm an accountant!)

Try a mis-matched pants suit (nuetral pants w/ colored jacket and silk shell or the like) or pants with a sweater set or blouse and sweater.

Don't try to look too "business" - punch up the accessories a bit!

My law firm is strictly "business casual" -- and that means no suits! The men generally wear khakis and button-down or polo shirts, and the women wear nice blouses with skirts or slacks. Over the summer, I generally wore more "professional"-looking sundresses, or cardigan sets with knee-length skirts.

Bottom line -- "business casual" is distinct from "business formal" precisely in that it means not having to wear a suit. Most people would, I think, equate "business casual" with "Sunday best."

Hope that helps!

Well Jane what a sweet invitation. Gee you're always the one givng us the advice so for you I went directly to our etiquette maven Emily Post and this is her interpretation of Business casual! Have Fun!:)

Business

Casual

• MEN
  • Seasonal sport coat or blazer with slacks or khakis
  • open-collar shirt

• WOMEN
  • Skirt, khakis or slacks
  • open-collar shirt, knit shirt or sweater
    (no spaghetti straps or decolleté)

Nice invite!!!

Business casual to me in nice slacks or dress khakis, nice pullover/blouse AND a jacket-be it linen, wool or leather blazer/duster. I have an Escada blazer I have worn to pieces. It is cream, black and brown, so most any pants go with it. Khakis/Dockers if its not in a fancy office, black or chocolate slacks if it is.

I also have a couple of longish (mid thigh) dusters that I love. They also dress up the pants and top just a touch.

If you see me out of my Levi's this is what I will be wearing for business casual stuff. Unless its formal night!!!!

Thanks all for the reply's. Much appreciated.

And yes, I am very fortunate to have received such a generous invitation. I don't know why such largesse was bestowed upon me.....and I'm not asking either! ;)

I guess in NYC "business casual" is still more professional than in other places.

I wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of khaki's with a polo shirt even in the afternoon, but it's interesting to note that for some, that would be business casual. DH also wouldn't wear a polo shirt, but with everyone's advice, maybe we'll leave the sportsjacket at home and have him wear nice gabardine trousers with a linen shirt and an elegantly patterned thin silk sweater and loafers.

RIsailor - my pinstripe suit is not a typical boring one. It's a Philippe Adec that I bought in Paris. The fabric is charcoal w/ black triple pinstripes and the jacket is beautifully tailored and then has some wild and intricate seaming that is subtle but noticable. Whenever I wear it, I get comments from people on street and when I run into designers I know they always want to borrow and copy it for inspiration. (which I don't allow. i tell them to send me to Paris to shop for them! <g>)

However, since more than one person is saying that Business Casual doesn't mean a suit, I think I'll leave it at home.

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm quite surprised that khaki's mean Business Casual, even according to Emily Post! Learn something new every day! (it really is different here in NY! LOL!)

However, I'm still clueless as to what I'm going to wear! :confused:

Jane

Bottom line -- "business casual" is distinct from "business formal" precisely in that it means not having to wear a suit. Most people would, I think, equate "business casual" with "Sunday best."

Hope that helps!

LOL! Well no, it's actually more confusing because I also think of business casual like Sunday Best.....well actually Saturday Best for me...because I'm jewish and no man would show up in temple without a blazer and dress pants. And women dress elegantly for temple services too.

Today, (Sunday) I ran into a neighbor as he was coming home from church - he was in a navy blazer, grey pants, shirt and tie which is exactly would I would expect Sunday Best to be.

So when I thought of Business Causal, I agreed with your thoughts, that is, blazer and button down shirt as opposed to Business Formal which is a fine tailored suit, elegant tie, etc.

But everyone here is saying that Business Casual can mean khaki's and a polo shirt. Neither DH or I would ever show up in a dining room dressed that way, but it does mean to me that we can leave his blazer and tie at home and I don't need a sleek suit.

DH and I have been invited to cruise for two nights on the pre-inaugural cruise on RCCL's Liberty of the Sea's next week. (lucky moi!)

The first night is "business casual" which has me a bit confused. For DH, I'm assuming it means dress shirt, dress pants and a blazer. Tie optional?

What does it mean for me? For business casual at work, I'd probably wear a pinstripe suit, high heeled sandals and a silk tee. Seems a bit too "citified" to wear at sea. I'm more of a pants person rather than skirts or dresses, so any recommendations? Just a blouse without a jacket isn't "business like".

Anyone ever go on a pre-inaugural cruise where this was requested? What do most people wear?

The second night is formal. Ugh......but at least I know what to wear!

Thanks.

Jane, are you and DH on our cruise? We will be aboard on the 4th and 5th out of Bayonne.

I am packing black slacks and animal print top and heels for Friday night and long dress for Saturday. DH will wear a collared shirt and dress slacks on Friday and tux on Saturday.

I was on a preinaugural on Freedom of the Seas for 2 nights. There were only a few men in sport coats the first night; ladies ran the gamut.

I would suggest you dress as you would any night on Oceania.

Hope to see you on board!

Jane,

I would suggest a nice pair of summer weight slacks (maybe a nice creamy colored linen) and a pretty twinset. I would say rather than New York style "business casual" think more "brunch in the Hamptons"- you'll be smashing. Then work your magic with accessories.

Jane,

I would suggest a nice pair of summer weight slacks (maybe a nice creamy colored linen) and a pretty twinset. I would say rather than New York style "business casual" think more "brunch in the Hamptons"- you'll be smashing. Then work your magic with accessories.

I've just found that that TA's have been requested to wear Business attire, while the rest of us are in Business Casual. I think that's weird.

I appreciate your input, but I think I'll keep the "brunch in the Hamptons" look for daytime (linen pants, twinset and flat sandals) and then be dressier at night. (dress pants, high heeled sandals, maybe silk knit twinset).

OK, I'm not surprised by that :) . But "pinstripe suit" always makes me think of bankers, lawyers and big accounting firms!

LOL! Thanks.

In anycase, thanks to everyone here, the suit is staying home!

Jane

Since it is evening, I would wear something that is more glamorous than business anything. For example, a pair of slacks, with jacket/blouse/cami that is suitable for an evening out. Add some fun jewelry and a good attitude and you are set.

Have fun!

Amy

Congrats on the invitation:) you know Happy Ks and her hubby

are going as well! I wonder if you will be on the same one:)

You know we met when I was in San Diego last month. It

was like meeting a long time friend:D

Have a great time.

Well Jane what a sweet invitation. Gee you're always the one givng us the advice so for you I went directly to our etiquette maven Emily Post and this is her interpretation of Business casual! Have Fun!:)

Business

Casual

• MEN
  • Seasonal sport coat or blazer with slacks or khakis
  • open-collar shirt

• WOMEN
  • Skirt, khakis or slacks
  • open-collar shirt, knit shirt or sweater
    (no spaghetti straps or decolleté)

Great..... now I'm over dressed!!!!! Back to the malls>>>>>>>>:eek:

Dear Emily Post nee Emily Price politely left this sphere in 1960 and her darling granddaughter Peggy Post (who would name their poor child that!!)

Well "Peggy" is a better name than "Dumberthana"

Since it is evening, I would wear something that is more glamorous than business anything. For example, a pair of slacks, with jacket/blouse/cami that is suitable for an evening out. Add some fun jewelry and a good attitude and you are set.

Have fun!

Amy

I agree Amy. No blazers at dinner! I've decided to wear a printed (tan/olive/sage) sheer silk voile tunic lenth top over a black cami and black pants w/ high heeled sage green snakeskin sandals and taupe/bronze snakskin clutch bag.

For formal night, I'm not sure. I've gained about 6 ugly pounds of butt in the last year and I hate the way everything looks on me. Tomorrow I'm trying on some of my eveningwear. I might wear an olive green gown with bronze beading and or a black beaded gown. My black slinky gown won't look slinky so I'm not going to even try it on, I'll only get drepressed. OR, I might borrow something from a friend of mine who's a couture designer. His things sell for over $6000. and he said I can borrow anytime I like. Hmmm....may call him tomorrow. :)

I only wear fun jewelry during the day (beads, etc). For evening, I'm fortunate enough to own some fine pieces and I'll bring some with me.

A good attitude? Heck, I've been invited on a free 2 night cruise, who could have a bad attitude??? Another french martini please....... :D

Congrats on the invitation:) you know Happy Ks and her hubby

are going as well! I wonder if you will be on the same one:)

You know we met when I was in San Diego last month. It

was like meeting a long time friend:D

Have a great time.

I know you all met up last month. What fun!

Can you believe that Caviargal, HappyKs and I are all going on different Liberty pre-inaugural cruises? What a shame we couldn't all go on the same one. What a blast we'd have!!!! Too bad. But hey, I'm not complaining! LOL!

Archived