Radiance Steam and Sauna

lmurf

Steam room is nice, dark room with neat twinkling lights on the ceiling that look like stars. Not super hot.

The Sauna is nice and hot.

What else do you want to know?

They also have a thermal suite that has co-ed steam rooms, etc. but you have to pay to use it.

You can get a couples rate on the thermal suite which is just lovely. I had to talk my husband into going. He is very old school, and not into "spa" stuff for men. Anyhow, he loved it by the end of the week and was talking me into going.

Anyhow, you must wear a bathing suit or a robe there since it is co-ed. But you can sit in the sauna, heated chair or steam and watch the world go by. The view must be spectacular on the Alaskan cruise. They have the choice of a tropical mist shower or a cool drench for afterwards. Relaxing music and plenty of clean towels.

I think for my 8 day cruise it was 109 for one or 119 for a couple. (My husband called it my 100 shower.)

To be perfectly clear:

The men's and lady's change rooms each have free sauna and steam rooms and they are fairly nice. Towels are standard wear.

BUT -- the prize room is the Thermal Suite. It is co-ed, so you do have to wear your swim suit. There is a daily use fee, or a week long pass, or a week couples pass, for various prices. But it is very beautiful, very relaxing, and a perfect place to unwind. Here are pictures of several Thermal Suites, but the ones on the Radiance class ships are the best of all!

Thermal Suites

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi Lmurf,

The steam room on the Radiance is small...fits 5 men MAX (tight fit). The sauna is larger, as it has two-tiered seating...maybe 8. I believe there were also 3 showers available just off the steam & sauna rooms.

I usually wear a towel or less, also.

;)

Fun times

Hey Mickey,

I won't be on the Radiance this summer; I'm doing the Majesty at the end of this coming June, the Serenade June '08 (Alaska) and then the Liberty in December '08 (W. Caribb.).

I sailed on the Jewel ("sister" to Radiance) a couple of years ago, so that's how I'm familiar with the Radiance-class locker steam/sauna facilities.

My favorite facilities, thus far, were on the Navigator (or any of the Voyager-class of ships). I'm guessing that the facilities would be very similar on Freedom-class, so I'm really looking forward to the Liberty.

Email me at gigglewolf70@hotmail.com for more info.

Later

I'm planning on bringing a bathing suit and use the thermal suite on the Radiance next month, but travel companions not bringing one. If they change their minds and want to try it - does anyone know if you can go in shorts or sweats just to sit on the loungers?

Hi "Richard",

The info I've received about the Freedom steam & sauna is that it's virtually identical to that of the Voyager-class ships (Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator, Mariner). That would mean that the steam can seat over 12 and the sauna is just as large, if not more so. There were approximately five shower stalls and a restroom in the men's locker room, as well. The steam & sauna are clothing optional, of course. And please discourage others from wearing sneakers in the steam room. When I traveled on the Navigator in February of 2005, there were usually no more than 5 or 6 people in either the steam or the sauna at any one time, which is great. More often than not, it was under 3 people using the facilities (of course, the Freedom is slightly larger and different times of the year could impact how many people will be sharing with you). Let me know if there's anything I left-out that you might still want to know.

Hi "Kitty",

As for the thermal suites, they are co-ed and thus clothing is mandatory (which I assume you already knew, just wanted to reiterate for others). As for attire in the thermal suite, bathing shorts or loose fitting clothing should be appropriate for a man; bathing suit or loose fitting clothing for a woman would be fine. The one thing I know that would be frowned-upon is wearing shoes or sneakers in there. I would suggest bringing sandals or flip-flops (any kind that can get wet should do fine). One can go barefoot in the thermal suite, but hygiene-wise (a.k.a.- to avoid possibility of foot fungus & the like) it would best to have something on the soles of your feet. Of course, there is a daily charge to use the thermal suite, but a week-lonmg pass can also be purchased.

Bon voyage to all!

Gigglewolf

:D