ST.THOMAS or ST. MARTEEN

sail4

I actually found nicer jewelry and better negotiating on St Thomas. Bought a beautiful sapphire and diamond ring for $100 less then I negotiated on St Maarten.

Brought it home, had it appraised for insurance, appraised at twice what I paid for it.

Good Luck!

You will probably get very different responses to this posting. I prefer St Thomas because I have a favorite jeweler there near the Pier that takes VERY good care of me. I have bought some of my favorite pieces of tanzanite and opal there. With that said, I think you will do well on either island. Don't forget never pay the initial price they quote you. You can always bargain with them and most of the time, get the price you want. Happy Cruising!

My vote goes to St. Marteen. I purchased a diamond and emerald bracelet at a lower cost in St. Marteen. Originally found the style in St. Thomas, but was to much money, so in St. Marteen, I was able to get them down to a price I could afford!

We also like the beaches better in St. Marteen.

I'm a fan of St. Thomas. I found a beautiful ring there that I didn't buy because I thought I might find a better price for it on St. Maarten. Nope. There wasn't near the variety on St. Maarten that there was on St. Thomas. My ring is still there. :( I just hope they have it when we go back in 2008!

ST. THOMAS has the good deals and alot more variety to shop...as far as the beer...they all have the ice cold brewski's along with water and soda's...i have a couple of favorite's that i could recommend to you if you want...

St. Maarten is our VERY favorite place to buy jewelry! We have a special place that really takes care of us. He recognizes us when we walk in and call us by name. We've bought tanzanite, diamonds, rubys, sapphires, gold..well..we've bought a lot from this place.

We've had all of our jewelry appraised at home. Everything appraised for 2-3 times what we paid! Love St. Maarten!!

Just back from AOS cruise. We like St. Thomas the best for jewelry, better selection and price. Even though the main shopping district was closed Saturday due to Carnival, we were still able to purchase a diamond pendant at 1/3 less than in St. Maarten. St Maarten is our favorite T-shirt, hat, and beach port. Buy shirts and hats at the market directly behind the old church. Orient Beach is the best.

When you're going in June the deals at both places maybe harder to come by as the cruise season has wound down. You'll still need to negotiate though...who knows you might find a diamond in the rough!:D

St Thomas - Havensight Mall. I have a Jewelry store there that I have bought a number of nice pieces at and they always appraise for double or more when I get home. Get great prices from him and now I trust him so won't go anywhere else. Just got back and I bought a gold bracelet and my sister got a sapphire/diamond tennis bracelet. Love his store!!!

I bought a cute but small tanzinite ring and ruby on St. Marteen which I love, but the tanzinite was awfully small so I just replaced it in Cozumel and got a new ring I love with a larger stone and nicer setting.

We bought other things in St. Thomas and enjoyed more sight seeing in St. Thomas, and did a excursion, lunch, downtown jewelry shopping and then a beach in St. Thomas so its not like there are not great places to shop both places. Do the tram ride in St. Thomas if you have time and Mountaintop.

I think the best jewelry store where we had a private reference and introduction card was called Cousins or some name like that in St. Thomas, they have two locations almost next door to each other. The guy was giving my roomie a dynomite offer on a very large diamond that looked like good quality to me. It still was almost $2,500, but it was gorgeous. You can find really good quality in St. Thomas. The jewelry I got in St. Marteen was lesser quality, but so was the price.

I have gotten great jewelry deals in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I do think there is more variety in St. Thomas. You have to know your prices and what You want before you leave the states. Sometimes the price is better at home. However, I love St. Thomas & St. Maarten. Love to go over to the beaches in St. John via ferry from St. Thomas& enjoy the shopping in Charlotte Amalie.. Love Pinel Island for scuba in St. Maarten.

Archived